Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Retained Ear Tube

TxMoms2BTxMoms2B Posts: 532
edited November -1 in Parenting and Life
:(

My son had tubes placed when he was 9 months old. They have been a life saver because he had 12 ear infections from age NB to 9 months, and only TWO in the almost 3 years he's had them in. They work great...but decided to stay around a little too long. 6 months ago our pedi old us that if they hadn't fallen out by now (meaning 6/2014) he'd have to get them removed. Well, the right fell out but the left is STILL in there.

So (as soon as we can come up with the deductible...$1250) he will have to have a second minor surgery. For some reason I was much more calm with 9 month old C having tubes placed, than 3.5 year old C getting them removed. I don't like the idea of him having anesthesia again. I don't like the idea of him being scared surrounded by masked strangers. I don't like the idea of someone sticking my little boy with needles (even though I start IV's all day long). I'm freaking the f-bomb out!!!

I spoke with anesthesia docs at work, who said they'd prob give him oral versed to keep him calm and then gas him down. He said an IV may not even be placed, but it could be done while he's sleeping if necessary. That eases my mind a tiny bit.

How do you handle your baby getting surgery/procedures??? Why is this scaring me so much??? Have any of your kids had to have ear tubes removed???

Thanks for letting me vent!

Comments

• Options
    ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
    edited November -1
    Your state of mind right now is about half of the reason I refused tubes when Kate was 16 months. The other half was I knew if we treated the underlying causes (allergies first and foremost in her case) we COULD and should avoid it. None of that is to say you shouldn't have, just that I totally get what you are saying. I just couldn't imagine being away from her while something like that was being done to her!

Having said all that (and I know you know this already) you are doing the right thing. A few months ago L's tubes were coming out and causing her discomfort enough that we took her in a few times. In the mean time I started reading what happens if the tubes don't fall out on their own and aren't removed in time to prevent problems (like new tissue growing around the tube!). So it really needs to be done and I know you'll be strong for your little man! You can always break down once he's all done :). Deep breath, you can do this!
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • Options
    blkbrd3blkbrd3 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm sorry your son's tubes didn't fall out on their own. When tubes are removed from adults ears the doctor sometimes just pulls them out without anesthetic nor real warning. It hurts for just a moment and the worry over it is more troublesome than the pain of the procedure.

My brother was so anxious about having a tube removed from his ears as an adult that he and his doctor opted to have them removed under anesthetic. Other than wanting to take a nap later that day and then going to bed early that evening, my brother recovered from the surgery quickly.

I hope your kiddo's recovery is just as fast.
  • Options
    TheOtherLovingMomsTheOtherLovingMoms Posts: 1,481 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My 9 year old granddaughter had tubes put in her ears when she was around 9 months old...the first time. 1 fell out onits own the other had to be surgically removed. Fast forward to 7years old. She started have a lot of ear infections again and was having some hearing loss. July 1, 2013 she had to have tubes put in her ears again. No more infections since then however for the past few weeks she has been complaining of her right ear hurting, on a daily basis. She has an appt with the ENT in mid July. Hope your little one heals quickly. Oh and the older she gets the more I freak out about things like this too. Also when she had her surgery last year they gave her versed to calm her nerves and then gassed her to sleep and then once she was asleep they put in the iv.
    IGXwm4.png
    I just turned 50 and fabulous!!! Enjoying life with my amazing family!!
    Mom to Rachel 33, Bethany 30, Rebekah 30, Zachrey 20 and several angel babies
    Grandma to Larissa 11, Brittney 11, Trevor 11, Destiny 7, Jayvin 6, Jackxon 3, Kaleb Joshua Rian 1. Grandbaby #8, Sariah Grace born 11-17-16
  • Options
    ZenZen Posts: 2,942
    edited November -1
    I had no idea the things ever came out! I had them placed as a child and never knew of any follow up. I guess at some point they just went away. Hope all goes smoothly with the procedure for your little one so you can go back to worrying about the normal kid things in life!
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png