Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Skooled the OB on 'gender' & DNA blood testing

scifimomscifimom Posts: 1,173
edited July 2014 in Pregnancy and Babies
I had my dating ultra sound yesterday. :) Will post pic later. Anyways, the OB said I they have a new test for genetic abnormalities. It's a blood draw of my blood to retrieve the babies DNA, I guess floating around in there somewhere! It can be done by 10 weeks and I'm waiting on the hospital to call me it schedule it. So cool!!! I so appreciate the idea of finding out problems really early in the pregnancy so I can decide what I want to do. What do you all think about this test and it's accuracy? Thanks!

OB also mentioned I can find out the baby's gender (his words)! So cool! On a side note, there was a magazine with a story about transgender persons on the cover sitting in the ultrasound room. So when the OB said gender, I said, you know saying gender isn't PC anymore? Because of the transgender possibility. Well, I said something to that effect and I wasn't trying to be snarky with the use of the term, "PC". I just spouted out the best way I could explain because it felt appropriate to say something. He was cool about it. Anyways, just thought some of you would think that was cool. :)

I plan to do a 'boy bits or girl bits?'/diaper party with family. I will be the only one to know, not maybe the usual way of doing it. But it will be a fun celebration of the baby. :) I want to have a smash cake for my daughter, with blue berries or strawberries inside. That will be the way every one finds out. I guess we get to do it sooner than later. :)
EyNNm4.png
zjng3tj.jpgzjngm4.png
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    kelleymelkelleymel Posts: 1,402
    edited November -1
    My wife had the Harmony test, so we found out our baby had very low markers for anything genetic and that we were having a girl at 10 weeks. It was relieving and fun. For our reveal, we hid pink Hershey kisses in Easter eggs and had the family all open their eggs together. No one thought to take pictures of it, so it will have to live in my mind.
    TTC #1: BFP Cycle #11 IVF (2014)
    TTC #2: IVF April 2017
    BFP: FET Due February 2018
  • Options
    scorpiogrl7scorpiogrl7 Posts: 1,386
    edited November -1
    We had the Verifi test done at 10 weeks. It was as done at the dr office.

Just an FYI: if you are not over 35, or have a history of down's or other trisomies in your family, your insurance probably won't cover it. We had to sign a paper that said if our insurance denied it we would be responsible for the entire $1200.
    ZVvim5.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yep - ours would have been almost $3000 - but my wife is old enough that insurance paid for it

We had the Verifi test done at 10 weeks. It was as done at the dr office.

Just an FYI: if you are not over 35, or have a history of down's or other trisomies in your family, your insurance probably won't cover it. We had to sign a paper that said if our insurance denied it we would be responsible for the entire $1200.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    My dr said it might cost me about $120. but that insurance should cover that even. I'm 37. Wow! Knowing if insurance doesn't cover it, it could get a $2,000 bill, I'm going to have to check with the insurance. Thanks for the heads up!!!

Who doesn't love chocolate? The kisses idea is lots of fun. :)
    EyNNm4.png
    zjng3tj.jpgzjngm4.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Oops $1200.
    EyNNm4.png
    zjng3tj.jpgzjngm4.png
  • Options
    aplusaaplusa Posts: 1,919
    edited November -1
    Woot on schooling your OB!! There's a lot they don't really know ...
    7NZpm4.png
    Lucky Cycle 14: IVF!! Antagonist Cycle with Lupron Trigger
  • Options
    allisontballisontb Posts: 144
    edited November -1
    One of my pregnant friends just had the test and did a lot of research beforehand. She is a medical librarian. She said her understanding is that it is close to 100% accurate for biological sex since they are testing the DNA and not trying to see "parts" on the ultrasound. Again, this is what she said. I haven't done the research myself. :)
    TTC #1: 07/2012--BFN, TTC #2: 09/2012--BFN, TTC #3: 11/2012--BFN, TTC #4: 12/2012--BFN, TTC #5: 08/2014--BFN, TTC #6: 09/2014--BFN
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Allison. I figured as much for the sex. I wonder how accurate for disorders?
    EyNNm4.png
    zjng3tj.jpgzjngm4.png
  • Options
    WannabeasinglemamaWannabeasinglemama Posts: 969
    edited November -1
    I had the Harmony test. Insurance paid bc I was 37.
    Nicole-SMBC-39y/o-TTC since Jan. 2013
    IUI~BFP (BORN STILL) AT 16w5d 4/3/14
    Chemicals~IUI 7/24/14;8/21;BFNs~9/25;10/19;IVF#1-2/21/15~No embies made to blast.
    IVF#2-BFP~4/16 trans. 2 embies
    MIdqadD.jpgMIdqm5.png
    mf0Km4.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That's great wanna. I haven't called insurance because I haven't even heard from the hospital to schedule. I will have to ask what code they are using. I will also ask which test exactly I am getting. I took a quick look on the net and as I suspected, it's pretty freaking accurate for what it tests for. I could have asked the OB more questions about it at the time, but it just sounded like an excellent idea so I left it at that. :)
    EyNNm4.png
    zjng3tj.jpgzjngm4.png
  • Options
    Jen727BFJen727BF Posts: 2,304
    edited November -1
    You would think an OB would know the difference between gender & sex ;). If you find out how accurate the testing is for disorders, please share! I've been wondering as well.
    183190fb-4512-4f04-a781-76af2d6d42b0_zpsrvzisual.jpg
    TTC No. 2 since Aug. 2014; IVF #1 - Cxld; IVF #2 - BFN
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I had my test appointment. The genetic counselor and a grad student talked my ear off all about the test, how it works, and what it tests for. It was very interesting and cool to see how passionate the geneticist was for his work, but a bit over kill. I thought I was just showing up for a blood draw. I wonder what politics are involved which motivates the hospital to handle this with such kid gloves. I think they could have sent me to a website or gave me a little booklet to read while in the waiting room. I'm not sure why they want the information disseminated in person and at such length. I went on the verify (or what ever it's called) website but it basically it said to ask your dr about the details. My test was called self free or something like that, because they are looking at DNA that's floating freely in the blood from dead cells.

From what I think I heard, it's 99% accurate at giving positive results. Negative results are much closer to 100% than positives. The only 100% accurate test is the amino, cvs is not 100%. False positives are caused by things like the placenta or maybe he said umbilical cord having an abnormality but not the baby. Dr said there's different cell lines involved and that's the point. They will look at my DNA and the baby/pregnancy DNA all together. If there are abnormalities, they know it's not mine since I'm healthy. The geneticist recommended backing up positive results with an amino because that's the only 100% test. Unfortunately the amino can't be performed until well into the second trimester. I know for me personally, after hearing how the test works, I personally would either use this test alone or back it up with a cvs to make my decision on whether or not to continue the pregnancy. Although the geneticist said he's seen a false positive, I know from personal experience that each week makes for a more dramatic loss mentally, physically, spiritually. Naturally I'm hoping I won't be faced with any tough decisions.

It tests for 3 trisomy disorders which include downs. Right at the end the geneticist said I can also throw on the test 5 or 6 other things that cause mental retardation. I didn't ask for more details on those because I needed to get to work and I didn't anticipate a big long chat session before they took my blood. I was offered to know the sex and he checked that box for me. :)

On a happy note, we have the reveal party planned for a few weeks when my big brother will be in from out of state during our yearly family reunion. He, his girlfriend, his son, and her daughter had car problems last year and couldn't make it. So they haven't even met my daughter yet! It's super cool I will have these results and we get to do something extra fun for their visit. I was on Pinterest a bunch last night and talking to my mom about how to make the reveal party fun! :)

Edited to add, the geneticist will call me personally in 7-8 days, includes weekend, with the results!
    EyNNm4.png
    zjng3tj.jpgzjngm4.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ugh still waiting for results! Today is day 11. I called the genetic counselor and he said he would call as soon as results are and that should be today. And to call him in the morning if I hadn't heard from him.

Also, I shouldn't have been calling him a geneticist, I don't believe, definitely not a dr. Whatever, he holds a lot of power and authority over me right now and works in the medical field so that probably caused my blunder .

I also wanted to say, I spoke with a close-ish friend and she had a false positive for downs on the amino test, so you never know! I clearly *think* I remember the counselor saying it's 100% accurate. Whatever, that's the medical field, you gotta sometimes take the bad to get the good.

Can't wait for this guy to call!!!
    EyNNm4.png
    zjng3tj.jpgzjngm4.png
  • Options
    msfofomsfofo Posts: 36
    edited November -1
    Hey! Just wanted to say I am right there with you! We had the Harmony test done 2 weeks ago tomorrow. I paid out of pocket because I am only 33. They said it should take 7-10 days for my results but I called Friday and they called the lab and the lab is backed up! UGH!!! Waiting sucks!!!! The nurse did say based on the results of my NT Scan she thinks the chances of the tests coming back showing something wrong is very very small.

I hope you get the call soon to put your mind at ease!! :) I hope they don't make you wait much longer!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I believe ours took 2 weeks to come back. I totally know how you feel... That wait is a beast!

Good luck!! Let us know the results!! :)
  • Options
    PatienceisavirtuePatienceisavirtue Posts: 777
    edited November -1
    That sucks! Waiting is the worst. Hopefully they will be in soon.
    TTC #1: 1-5 BFN; 6- BFP
    TTC #2: since June 2016...
  • Options
    blkbrd3blkbrd3 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I feel your pain. The waiting period for my CVS results was terrible too. I was nearly climbing the walls by the time they had results to share with me. I hope you don't have to wait much longer for your good news.
  • Options
    emn'saremn'sar Posts: 393
    edited November -1
    I had the verifi test done around 12 weeks. I had already done the nuchal which was normal, but I was 35 and some history in my family. I read the reports of false positives but overall I thought the test seemed pretty reliable and had it done. It was a relief to know that it was a healthy baby boy. We had a bakery make 3 cupcakes with frosting in the middle. My wife, daughter and I sat on the couch with the video camera rolling and had our daughter take a big bite. The blue frosting was such a surprise and we have it all on tape! It was nice to keep it special with just the 3 of us. A big party would be fun too though. For #3 we will probably keep it a surprise!
    IMG_3390_zpse5e180d0.jpg
    IMG_2211_zps372f01d9.jpg
    Avery 2.5 years and Julian 4.5 months
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Jeepers! I had what must be a generic first trimester screening done last week that tests for chromosomal abnormalities and NT scan on the 14th. It was not the harmony test or the verfi so I am not sure the name of it. I got the results this morning at my doctor appointment but I could have called on Monday for the results (I guess they were in). I didn't want to know the sex or anything like that so maybe it was faster?

scifimom and msfofo- are you still waiting?
  • Options
    msfofomsfofo Posts: 36
    edited November -1
    Patienceisavirtue- I got a call from my doctors office today that there was not enough fetal DNA in the sample so I have to have a redraw on Friday! Then wait another 2 weeks!! It is going to be a long 2 weeks!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Oh no! That is the worst! I hope they get a better sample and the results come in quick!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Oh man, that's such a bummer you have to go back to give more blood, msfofo! Big bummer! Hopefully they will put priority on your results!

I got my results, I got the best results they can give: 1 in 10,000 chance for the things they in which they are testing. Sorry, no saying the sex of the baby until after our reveal party. I know it wouldn't affect anything to say it here, but I'm being sentimental and just waiting till after the party. ;) What a relief to have good results!
    EyNNm4.png
    zjng3tj.jpgzjngm4.png
  • Options
    melandfomelandfo Posts: 490
    edited November -1
    So glad you got good results, scifimom!!!! That is what is important!! :)
    Courtney and Melissa
    TTC # 1 w/PCOS & Hypothyroid
    17 cycles finally BFP
    tt1c499a.aspx