Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

I have a sleepwalker!!

babymakes3babymakes3 Posts: 433 ✭✭
edited November -1 in Parenting and Life
This is so new to us. in the last 2weeks my 9 year old has had 5 sleepwalking events. 3 of them he was also in a night terror in a bad dream where he begs us for help. Ugh. I need advice. The first time it didn't know he was asleep and i was talking to him which startled him and then he had a panic attack like thing. Anyway doc doesn't seemed concerned but it is a trip! Advice, I was told it may be hereditary but it is not from my side.
connonandray.jpg

Comments

• Options
    KariKari Posts: 1,765
    edited November -1
    That's when I started having them, but it was a phase that didn't last more than a year. I did everything in my sleep from talk to deal hands of cards, to "swim," to walk up and down staircases. My parents found that just telling me to go back to bed loudly sometimes got through to me.

In hindsight, often when it happened I was pretty anxious or stressed about something. It happened most often when I was visiting my grandparents and spending the night there (change of location, different bed, etc. may have influenced it).
    100_4667_zpspk4wwxj5.jpg
    r9vOm4.png
    Ri4Gm4.png
  • Options
    coryandamandacoryandamanda Posts: 1,527
    edited November -1
    Our 6.5 yo had night terrors from about age 9 months old until shortly before she turned 6. She had them at least 5 out of 7 nights a week and occasionally they were accompanied by sleep walking. When she was older we figured out one night that if we took her to the bathroom she usually would pee a river and then would calm down so apparently a full bladder while in a REM cycle was not a good combo. When we did a diet change her night terrors stopped completely almost overnight and have never returned. There is almost always a specific trigger. The issue is figuring it out!
    July 4, 2015
    image_2.jpgu
  • Options
    jennandersonjennanderson Posts: 133
    edited November -1
    Sleep walk story as told by my mom: when I was four I slept walk all the time. I'd come downstairs and she'd walk me to the potty and I'd go and then she'd just make sure I ended up back in bed. Well one time my dad was there, and he decided he wanted to hold me, she's like no, I do this all the time, but he insisted. So she let him pick me up and set me on his lap and I proceeded to pee all over :) hahaha it's one of my favorite stories ever.

Anyways. Good luck with your LO! B is two and has only slept walked once.
    "Mama Jenn"
    SDS(2)
    ~waiting on my rainbow ~
  • Options
    kelleymelkelleymel Posts: 1,402
    edited November -1
    I started sleepwalking when I was about 5. I still sleepwalk today - although I may go years between episodes. I used to walk out the door and head down the street. I also had a habit of turning on every electronic device in the house. Not sure what prompted them when I was little, but as an adult, I can attribute them to stress. I woke up in the middle of one a few weeks ago. I was in the kitchen pouring my wife's hot cocoa into a cold bottle water. I had missed and there was cocoa powder all over the counter tops. Totally random. No one has ever been able to explain why they happen - I just happen to notice they seem to happen when I feel anxious or stressed out.
    TTC #1: BFP Cycle #11 IVF (2014)
    TTC #2: IVF April 2017
    BFP: FET Due February 2018