Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Kari, Cory&Amanda and others with food sensitive kids

ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
edited November -1 in Parenting and Life
We've had a bit of a rough week behavior wise with Kate so I was reading more tonight about food dyes. Came across 2 things that were news to me so I thought I'd share

There is apparently some research and or speculation that babies with dairy intolerance are more likely to be sensitive to food dyes later on. I was trying to remember which kids were and if we all fell under both categories, I know Kate does.

Have you hear of something called annatto? It is apparently a natural food dye but some kids can also be sensitive to it like they are the artificial ones. It is used in cheeses, cheese crackers etc to give it the orange color. One of the things on Kate's extensive list is something (I don't even remember the word now) that is naturally produced in foods as they age over time or are fermented (cheese, pickles etc). So I've been trying to buy the less offensive of these like mozzarella and American cheese. She chose some cheddar at the store the other day as well. I just checked both the American and the cheddar and they both have annatto. And you just know she had some gold fish at camp this week! Both cheeses are from whole foods so it isn't on their banned ingredients list (which has been a lifesaver for me otherwise!)
image_zps64579b54.png

Comments

• Options
    coryandamandacoryandamanda Posts: 1,527
    edited November -1
    Yes, we use white cheeses only and certain brands. The annatto thing is part of Feingold and caramel color is another some kids have an issue with that is in alot of foods. Also, alot of kids have reactions to things you would never think of such as cinnamon and paprika.
    H does not have a dairy issue but she did have big reflux issue as a child and her belly is very sensitive to this day.
    July 4, 2015
    image_2.jpgu
  • Options
    KariKari Posts: 1,765
    edited November -1
    One thing I recall is that all three of our kids with diet issues had reflux as babies. I'm beginning to think there might be a connection. And he can't do much dairy, either. Justin has what's called leaky gut syndrome, meaning his body doesn't process food the way it's supposed to:

1) He lacks the proper enzymes to metabolize nutrients that allow his body to clear out certain foods from his system. To fix this, he takes digestive enzymes twice a day, and a supplement of the nutrients that most kids with leaky gut are lacking (iron, magnesium, B6, B12, calcium citrate, D). He also takes about two baths a week with epsom salts - or a foot soak - to load up his body with magnesium, which helps clear things out.

2) His intestinal lining is too porous, so larger particles of food get into his bloodstream undigested, which aren't recognized by his body. His body sends out antibodies to fight these and recognizes them as allergens. Then these larger particles get into his brain and cause a build-up of ammonia which can't be cleaned out because of #1.

3) His body is also short on probiotics because his digestive issues caused loose stools for his first 4.5 years until I cut out most dairy for him.

Anyway, yes we do Feingold as well. It has helped identify over 40 substances (chemicals & natural foods) that he's intolerant to. Those include the petroleum-based preservatives TBHQ, BHA, BHT; petroleum-based food dyes, inks (markers, paint, hand stamps), chapstick, vaseline, hand lotion; MSG; foods in the sodium benzoate family (cinnamon, cloves, etc.); artificial sweeteners; and foods high in salicylates (grapes, raisins, berries, peppers - including paprika, oranges, fresh pineapple, and many more. It's easier to list the fruits and veggies he CAN have!).

Okay, that's my tangent for anyone who's not followed our story and wants some info.

Now, to get back to your questions, he tolerates small amounts of dairy. He can't have regular milk (nor can Juliet or I). We cheat with a little ice cream, but then the bad behaviors creep back in and he complains nightly of stomach aches. He's okay with annatto, but most things with it he can't have because they're processed and have other ingredients on his list (like paprika). I buy blocks of cheese that have only 3 main ingredients and put them through a food processor for the best luck, and only buy white cheese.
    100_4667_zpspk4wwxj5.jpg
    r9vOm4.png
    Ri4Gm4.png