Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Porcupine Meatballs?

ZenZen Posts: 2,942
edited July 2014 in Parenting and Life
Has anyone ever made meatballs using uncooked rice instead of breadcrumbs? I saw this on a cooking show and I can't see how the rice would cook and not turn into crunchy or chewy bits in the meatballs. Has anyone ever made meatballs like this? If yes, did you use regular uncooked rice or instant?
AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png

Comments

• Options
    MNmommasMNmommas Posts: 1,081
    edited November -1
    I haven't, but I googled it quickly and it seems like you use regular uncooked rice, not the instant kind. Is your recipe similar to this? http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/porcupine-meatballs
    Donor 7070, births 2012 & 2013
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Similar but no water. I saw it on TV and then googled because I'd never heard of using rice in meatballs. Online I found the "porcupine" label for this type of meatball. Was hoping someone had tried it that could let me know if I should!
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png
  • Options
    EMG_RELEMG_REL Posts: 2,379
    edited November -1
    I have eaten them but not cooked them. Let us know how it goes!
    wqr43o.jpg
    IRcim4.png
    iaXMm4.png
  • Options
    blossomblossom Posts: 43
    edited November -1
    It is a favorite in our extended family. I use a pound of ground turkey and a box of chicken flavored rice a roni and one egg. Mix turkey, uncooked rice and egg together, make the meat balls, cook almost all the way then add the amount of water called for with the rice a roni and seasoning packet and simmer covered for 15-20 mins until water is absorbed. I haven't tried it with regular rice but would assume it would be very similar. My daycare kiddos love them!
    Trying to conceive since March 2007---our dream came true May 28th, 2013!!!
    eNortjKzUjIyMDC1MFayBlwwFWUCzw,,84.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It was the water part I couldn't mentally figure out. On TV they made sweet/sour meatballs using grape jelly and chili sauce. They browned the meatballs, covered in sauce, and cooked until done (20-30 min?). I guess the rice just absorbs the oils and cooking liquids but it just didn't seem quite right to me (lol).
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png
  • Options
    Ronna71Ronna71 Posts: 144
    edited November -1
    OK, I am going to have to try the Rice A Roni meatball idea, but I sure cant seem to fathom how the water would be absorbed. Sounds good, though! :)
  • Options
    Ronna71Ronna71 Posts: 144
    edited November -1
    blossom wrote:
    It is a favorite in our extended family. I use a pound of ground turkey and a box of chicken flavored rice a roni and one egg. Mix turkey, uncooked rice and egg together, make the meat balls, cook almost all the way then add the amount of water called for with the rice a roni and seasoning packet and simmer covered for 15-20 mins until water is absorbed. I haven't tried it with regular rice but would assume it would be very similar. My daycare kiddos love them!

I tried the above with ground chicken: the mixture was SO soft that I had to add some breadcrumbs to bind it. I added the water as you described, but not that much go absorbed...maybe half? The meatballs, although fairly good, were very dense and I can't see myself making it the exact same way, again. Maybe there was a step that I missed, or perhaps I did something wrong. Either way - I like the idea! I was drawn to it, I think, but the "my daycare kiddos love them" - because I am contemplating starting a home daycare business next year, as a way to more available to my daughter to and, eventually, homeschool her (she's only 3 right now).

Anyway, thanks for posting the idea. Have a great day!