Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Potty Training

KariKari Posts: 1,765
edited November -1 in Parenting and Life
Juliet decided to start using the potty last week about once every day (sometimes once every two days). She will only use the real potty when she does, and not one of her two toddler potties, which is fine for me except at bedtime. At bedtime, she likes to stall going to sleep. So, tonight, much like the last few nights, she says she has to go potty. We march to the bathroom. She doesn't go. She goes back to bed. We repeat this process about 8 times. She removes her diaper herself, throws it over the baby gate, and refuses to allow me to put it back on without a kicking, screaming tantrum. I put the potty in her room, and she throws it over the baby gate. Most nights I wait for her to fall asleep and then go in and diaper her.

I want her to feel successful, but this nighttime BS is ridiculous. Any suggestions that have worked for you?
100_4667_zpspk4wwxj5.jpg
r9vOm4.png
Ri4Gm4.png

Comments

• Options
    ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
    edited November -1
    Google the potty stool for toddlers. It's not cheap but I've hear great things about it.

Beyond that I think this is a discipline issue that should be handled with that in mind. If she stalled saying she wanted anything else would you respond 8 times? Food, water, stories? While brushing teeth and getting ready for bed I would tell her it is time to use the potty. This will be the only time we use the potty before bed. Then we will put a diaper on. There will be no more trips to the bathroom once we are in your room and your diaper is on.
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Btw, congrats on being one step closer to a diaper free house!!!
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • Options
    K&HK&H Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm with Shanny, except that I would add leaving the diaper off and dealing with the laundry. If she doesn't want it, let her follow through on what she's saying.
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    ZenZen Posts: 2,942
    edited November -1
    I didn't have to deal with this attitude toward pampers (though we had plenty of others!). But I always dressed her for the night in clothes that made removal difficult. Either onesies or jammies with bottoms. If yours is prone to taking off clothes herself ... this won't help but if she still has you dressing her it might work!
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png
  • Options
    friendamyfriendamy Posts: 588
    edited November -1
    if she's removing the diapers herself, I'd go to underwear 100% of the time. it sounds like she's ready! there will be accidents, but you may be surprised.

I certainly wouldn't fight with her every night. with my son he used the potty to stall at bedtime. he got ONE trip to go potty. if he got out of bed again (and didn't produce) he lost one of the many animals on his bed. it took a few nights, but then he moved into other (more manageable) stall tactics :)
    Amy (39)
    DS (7) - d#470
    Boy, n.: a noise with dirt on it.

age.png
  • Options
    KariKari Posts: 1,765
    edited November -1
    Unfortunately (or fortunately, I guess) she can completely dress and undress herself, except for putting on a diaper. And she somehow feels that she needs to remove all her clothes when she goes potty (shirt and socks included). Last night she threw the potty over the gate with pee in it, landing on all her clothes. I'm trying to ignore her, but most of the time she's naked and screaming that she needs help getting her clothes back on, which she does need help with the diaper. Yesterday afternoon I ignored her and she ended up peeing on the floor of her room. Needless to say, my mop is working overtime. Since she's mostly naked in that room now, I need to buy a mattress protector because I just bought her mattress a few months ago and don't want her to ruin it.
    100_4667_zpspk4wwxj5.jpg
    r9vOm4.png
    Ri4Gm4.png
  • Options
    K&HK&H Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah, I would get her in undies, fast! Take advantage of the desire to dress herself and give her easy thing that she can do. Teach her how to do the undies, a simple toss on nightie for naptime, and hopefully you can avoid the fight. She's absolutely old enough and smart enough to be done with diapers, lucky you!
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I didn't mean you should ignore her pleas to use the bathroom or cries for help. I just meant I would talk her through the process (we are using the potty now and that's it until after nap). If she screams at you for any reason, go back up, walk her to bed and reiterate that she's used the toilet and it is time for sleep. I personally would not keep a potty in her room after she's tossed it one time!
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • Options
    babybabybabybaby Posts: 1,564
    edited November -1
    i'm 100% with shanny on this. no potty in the room for her to hurl. no repeated trips to the bathroom. i just have a very limited amount of patience for nonsense. lol

i can't believe how big your kids are now, and so gorgeous!
  • Options
    fischfisch Posts: 570 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Emerson only wore zippered pajamas backward for about a year. You can find zippered short Jammie's at the gap. Also pullups/ easy ups instead of tabs so you can reuse the diaper too. I did not enjoy this phase! She no longer wears pullups at all but still have night time accidents about once every couple of weeks. We wash sheets a lot....
    age.png

age.png