Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Travel question

ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
edited November -1 in Parenting and Life
If you were planning to travel internationally within the next year would the Ebola outbreak change your mind?
image_zps64579b54.png

Comments

• Options
    K&HK&H Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depends on where you're headed.
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    michelle.malottmichelle.malott Posts: 107
    edited November -1
    I wouldn't go to West Africa.
  • Options
    babybabybabybaby Posts: 1,564
    edited November -1
    i wouldn't let it stop me from general traveling unless, as other posters have mentioned, you are going to west Africa.
  • Options
    Jen727BFJen727BF Posts: 2,304
    edited November -1
    As pp said, it all depends on where you are going.
    183190fb-4512-4f04-a781-76af2d6d42b0_zpsrvzisual.jpg
    TTC No. 2 since Aug. 2014; IVF #1 - Cxld; IVF #2 - BFN
  • Options
    ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
    edited November -1
    Planning Europe next spring/summer. Probably London but also consider Spain, Italy, Ireland. So while not west Africa by any stretch still worries me a little bit to be traveling internationally. We've got some time before booking I was just curious what people thought.
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • Options
    aplusaaplusa Posts: 1,919
    edited November -1
    I'd just avoid anyone's bodily fluids.... But that's a general rule I have, so....

But to be serious - definitely wouldn't change my plans. If I was concerned, and I usually am about something, I would do the travel insurance fee when booking.
    7NZpm4.png
    Lucky Cycle 14: IVF!! Antagonist Cycle with Lupron Trigger
  • Options
    KariKari Posts: 1,765
    edited November -1
    I was watching an episode of "The Doctors" last week and they were talking about people who'd died when traveling to a foreign country that had an ebola outbreak. Interestingly, the people who'd contracted it were caring for family members with the disease, not knowing they had the disease. So it kind of sounds like you have to be in pretty close proximity to the person.

My suggestion would be to check the CDC pages and see where it's safer to travel based on various health risks. Also, I wonder if avoiding heavily-populated cities would lessen the risk. You know, fewer people = fewer diseases? Of course, I'm a country girl at heart, but that might not be everyone's travel destination!
    100_4667_zpspk4wwxj5.jpg
    r9vOm4.png
    Ri4Gm4.png
  • Options
    K&HK&H Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would still travel.. We have friends and family in Europe and we would go in the next year or so, we wouldn't stop our plans because of possibilities. What we would do, however, is wash hands, keep distance, be smart, etc. The airports and train stations would be my biggest concern, but I think if it's just you and Kate, you two know each other, you are smart, educated people and you can take precautions. Don't be afraid to travel, but be smart.
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    friendamyfriendamy Posts: 588
    edited November -1
    I am planning a trip overseas and Ebola isn't deterring it at all :) heading to the UK!
    Amy (39)
    DS (7) - d#470
    Boy, n.: a noise with dirt on it.

age.png
  • Options
    aplusaaplusa Posts: 1,919
    edited November -1
    FYI - just so you know I actually take this seriously, we live in Atlanta. When I say we practically live on the Emory campus, where the two health workers who are sick with Ebola, are in isolation, I mean it.

We took Oliver to the children's hospital at Emory last week and "waved" at the news crews as we drove in to the ER.

Our grocery store is where the doctors and nurses shop. One of our donor siblings goes to daycare at the CDC on the Emory campus and her mom works there. We had lunch with her, at Emory, yesterday.

Are they in isolation? Absolutely. Are all their caregivers doing allll the protective methods? Absolutely. But, it's often the care givers who get sick despite their best efforts. We live one step away.

We keep going. We wash our hands. We use wipes on grocery carts. We smile at the doctors and nurses as we see them out and about in their scrubs.

So no, it wouldn't stop me from going to Europe. And it doesn't stop me from going to the Kroger, or the Publix, or the whole foods, or out to lunch.

As said above, be smart. Until someone shows symptoms, they are not contagious with Ebola.
    7NZpm4.png
    Lucky Cycle 14: IVF!! Antagonist Cycle with Lupron Trigger