Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Can a dewar be rented?

LeahTLeahT Posts: 35
edited November -1 in Trying to Conceive
I'm not really sure where this question should be placed and I will email NW today about it but I just wanted to ask if any of you have simply rented a dewar tank or if it's even possible. I'm in need of one and can't seem to find a website that simply rents it and I can not afford to buy one for $1,000+ And was wondering if you gals where at some point in the same position and were able to rent the dewar from here.
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    blkbrd3blkbrd3 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    They rent to customers for the delivery of sperm. If you need it for longer than a week, they'll allow you to rent it for a longer period of time.

If you just need to rent a dewar, you might contact your local vet or large animal vet. They likely know who's doing animal AI in the area and where to get supplies.
  • Options
    insearchofadonorinsearchofadonor Posts: 73
    edited November -1
    Hi there, I'm actually selling my 20 litre dewar for $400.00, which I bought at the time I was getting NW vials shipped to me in bulk as I was storing them at home. I realise you're looking to rent rather than purchase, but just thought I'd let you know it doesn't have to cost $1000+ to buy one, *if* you wanted to buy one, that is. :-) It worked fantastically (is still in perfect condition) and it stores the actual liquid nitrogen in it (not the 'dry' version you get when the vials are shipped from NW that runs out of coolness after 10-14 days etc). So, when this storage dewar is filled up (again, vet clinics etc will be able to tell you who supplies liquid nitrogen, and the van comes to your place and fills it up at home, as you do not want to move the dewar once it is full of liquid nitrogen!!) it lasts for at least 3 months at the extremely low temperature required for storing vials.

Basically, a storage dewar is NOT the same as the dewars you get sent with the vials in it. They only remains extremely cold for a very temporary time (couple of weeks) compared to storage dewars, because they are 'charged' with liquid nitrogen, and then the liquid is poured out of the transporting dewar and is shipped 'dry'. You can't ship actual liquid nitrogen because of risk of it exploding with all the movement etc.

Anyway, I feel like I'm going off on a tangent now, lol! But if you were interested in getting an actual storage dewar, I do have one for sale. The only thing is I am New Zealand, so postage cost would be around another $100 (so $500 total) as it cost me about $100 (from memory) to get the empty dewar shipped to me from the U.S.

This is a pic of what the storage dewar looks like (just with slightly different writing on it since it doesn't belong to that lab! ;-))

http://www.mistrymedical.com/graphics/products/large/exi210.png