Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Teaching in your child's classroom

roses25roses25 Posts: 567
edited November -1 in Parenting and Life
Aiden had sensory processing disorder. We were getting private OT last year but the OT moved jobs and the agency never replaced the OT. Our insurance doesn't cover ot for delays or SPD. He gets speech at school but no OT because at preschool they didn't find that his SPD affected him at 1/2 day preschool. Now he's in kindergarten and I happen to be in his classroom as support for another student due to not having enough paras for about 1.5 hI have a 5 year old with SPD. We were getting private OT last year but the OT moved jobs and the agency never replaced the OT. Our insurance doesn't cover ot for delays or SPD. He gets speech at school but no OT because on preschool they didn't find that his SPD affected him at 1/2 day preschool. Now he's in kindergarten and I happen to be in his classroom as support for another student for about 1.5 hours. I'm a special ed teacher and we are a small school. The first three days went okay. He's a perfect angel when I'm not in the class but even in preschool he acted up when I came. I was very worried when I found out I would be in his class. Today they were taking turns pretending to be characters in hey diddle diddle. My son was the spoon. The class, including myself laughed when they ran away with him...the spoon and apparently that set him off. I found out that's what set him off when I got home. He was scared to be up there and we were laughing at him. During this melt down he kicked, hit, screamed, cried, fired both the kindergarten teacher and developmental teachers, said their mean, said he was running away, had a 5 minute time out but chose to stay there for 1.5 hours, said he didn't have to learn and participate if he stayed in time out, almost got sent to the principals office on his 4th day of school. He was given the choice between recess and principals office and he asked what the principal was like. He did choose recess thank goodness but it took 1.5 hours to get him to snap out of this. Help, I need suggestions to make this work! There's other people that could trade places with me but the sped director doesn't want to do that. I told her what happened today and I for the answer of well that's the disadvantage of a small school...that sometimes your own kids are in your class. No suggestions or support given to me. :( I've never had my child in a class I'm in and my child is just starting kindergarten. This is a new chapter for both of us, and I feel like I was told so what. If my son does it again both myself and k teacher are going to go to the sped director. I want it to work but I also wonder why someone else wasn't put in the classroom instead of me and I feel like my son and I were both set up for failure right from the get go.I have a 5 year old with SPD. We were getting private OT last year but the OT moved jobs and the agency never replaced the OT. Our insurance doesn't cover ot for delays or SPD. He gets speech at school but no OT because on preschool they didn't find that his SPD affected him at 1/2 day preschool. Now he's in kindergarten and I happen to be in his classroom as support for another student for about 1.5 hours. I'm a special ed teacher and we are a small school. The first three days went okay. He's a perfect angel when I'm not in the class but even in preschool he acted up when I came. I was very worried when I found out I would be in his class. Today they were taking turns pretending to be characters in hey diddle diddle. My son was the spoon. The class, including myself laughed when they ran away with him...the spoon an apparently that set him off. I found out that's what set him off when I got home. He was scared to be up there and we were laughing at him. During this melt down he kicked, hit, screamed, cried, fired both the kindergarten teacher and developmental teachers, said their mean, he was running away, had a 5 minute time out but chose to stay there for 1.5 hours, said he didn't have to learn and participate if he stayed in time out, almost got sent to the principals office on his 4th day of school. He was given the choice between recess and principals office and he asked what the principal was like. He did choose recess thank goodness but it took 1.5 hours to get him to snap out of this. Help, I need suggestions to make this work! There's other people that could trade places with me but the sped director doesn't want to do that. I told her what happened today and I for the answer of well that's the disadvantage of a small school...that sometimes your own kids are in your class. No suggestions or support given to me. :( I've never had my child in a class I'm in and my child is just starting kindergarten. This is a new chapter for both of us, and I feel like I was told so what. If my son does it again both myself and k teacher are going to go to the sped director. I want it to work but I also wonder why someone else wasn't put in the classroom instead of me and I feel like my son and I were both set up for failure right from the get go.ours. I'm a special ed teacher and we are a small school. The first three days went okay. He's a perfect angel when I'm not in the class but even in preschool he acted up when I came. I was very worried when I found out I would be in his class. Today they were taking turns pretending to be characters in hey diddle diddle. My son was the spoon. The class, including myself laughed when they ran away with him...the spoon an apparently that set him off. I found out that's what set him off when I got home. He was scared to be up there and we were laughing at him. During this melt down he kicked, hit, screamed, cried, fired both the kindergarten teacher and developmental teachers, said their mean, he was running away, had a 5 minute time out but chose to stay there for 1.5 hours, said he didn't have to learn and participate if he stayed in time out, almost got sent to the principals office on his 4th day of school. He was given the choice between recess and principals office and he asked what the principal was like. He did choose recess thank goodness but it took 1.5 hours to get him to snap out of this. Help, I need suggestions to make this work! There's other people that could trade places with me but the sped director doesn't want to do that. I told her what happened today and the answer was well that's the disadvantage of a small school...that sometimes your own kids are in your class. No suggestions or support given to me. :( I've never had my child in a class I'm in and my child is just starting kindergarten. This is a new chapter for both of us, and I feel like I was told so what. If my son does it again both myself and k teacher are going to go to the sped director. I want it to work but I also wonder why someone else wasn't put in the classroom instead of me and I feel like my son and I were both set up for failure right from the get go.

Any words of wisdom? Any other teachers taught your own child at school or been in the classroom with them?
EBD822A6-1848-4872-A55B-C1ED22646371_zpsufz2fxda.jpeg
schm94df60emqyke.png
lazxi8i3cso8qa7m.png
lfngmjscscvr4zbw.png

Comments

• Options
    ZenZen Posts: 2,942
    edited August 2014
    roses25 wrote:
    that's the disadvantage of a small school...that sometimes your own kids are in your class

Friends of mine are teachers and have classes with kids that are related or family friends. At home the kids are allowed to use familiar forms of address. At school they are expected to toe the line and show respect for the teacher. Even when the teacher is an aunt or friend.

This isn't quite the same with your son but maybe you can practice at home. Make the kitchen the class and the living room the house. Go back and forth with him between the rooms. Play with him and tickle and laugh and hug and kiss while referring to yourself as mommy in the living room. In the kitchen, drop the humor, address formally, and have Aiden sit at attention at the table. Go back and forth making it a game.

When going to school, have fun in the car but when you get out, tell him it's school time and go into classroom mode.

It's not a cure-all but it might help!
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png
  • Options
    KariKari Posts: 1,765
    edited November -1
    What happened sounds like an anxiety issue, not an SPD issue. Justin also has both and I've seen those behaviors in him as well. Anxiety falls under mental health. You can request a psychological evaluation because it's clearly affecting his performance (and ability to stay) in class. Kids with SPD, ADHD, and anxiety also usually have very low executive functioning. I would see if there's a pattern to his behavior becoming different when you're in the room . . . or it may just be that he's finally relaxed enough in the room to stop holding back his feelings. I can understand the director not wanting to change things after one incident, but after a few or several, s/he may change his/her tune.

That said, I'll be in a similar position next year. Justin is attending K in the school where I teach, but he doesn't get computer until next year. There's no way around it, even in a large school.
    100_4667_zpspk4wwxj5.jpg
    r9vOm4.png
    Ri4Gm4.png