Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Sometimes parents do the dumbest things

KariKari Posts: 1,765
edited August 2014 in Parenting and Life
Okay, I have to share this vent here because there's no place else that would be okay to post it. A friend of my dad's on FB posted at 11 PM last night that she was in the ER with her daughter who had a 103* fever (she's 8). First, I'm pissed because she doesn't have insurance and is always running to the ER for minor things. Seriously, she went to the ER a few weeks ago for a sore throat, and a few weeks before that for a pulled muscle in her neck that had been hurting her for 5 days. Anyway, while she's in the ER, she posts if her daughter is going to be able to attend the first day of school in 8 hours. Seriously?!?! So, first thing this morning I post a response along the lines of, "If she was sick enough to take to the ER in the middle of the night, she should stay home. She doesn't feel good, and she's running the risk of getting everyone else sick."

Two hours later she posts that she's pissed at the bus driver because he's early and she missed the first day of school bus photo op.

The next post is that her daughter puked on the bus, and she wonders if it's from nerves.

Next post is her daughter sleeping in the middle of the afternoon, and that she's decided to keep her home until Tuesday.

SMH. Anyone else have dumb parent friends and want to share stories so I can have a little laugh?
100_4667_zpspk4wwxj5.jpg
r9vOm4.png
Ri4Gm4.png

Comments

• Options
    K&HK&H Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wow. There's some interesting thinking going on there.
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    emlklg444emlklg444 Posts: 645
    edited November -1
    Oh my gosh, how awful!
    1st daughter born 9/26/2013 (bfp 2nd attempt at home ICI)
    2nd daughter born 3/8/2016 (bfp after 7 attempts at home ICI, 2 miscarriages, 1 D&C)
    age 36 evtim8.png
    age 39 K8qxm7.png
  • Options
    Jen727BFJen727BF Posts: 2,304
    edited November -1
    Well here is a story for you that happened to one of my friends. She went to a kids birthday party this past weekend with her 16 month old. During the party she finds out one of the toddlers who her daughter has been playing with has been running a fever all day. His mother, a RN, said she was monitoring it closely & it just appeared to be a fever (no other symptoms). Well the next day my friend finds out the boy has hand mouth foot. And guess what? Her daughter has a fever now. Smh.
    183190fb-4512-4f04-a781-76af2d6d42b0_zpsrvzisual.jpg
    TTC No. 2 since Aug. 2014; IVF #1 - Cxld; IVF #2 - BFN
  • Options
    ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
    edited November -1
    Last spring the day before L's 3rd birthday A gets a horrible stomach bug. The girls past around quite a few the last two years and this was one of the worst. I made arrangements so that Kate would not be at the house that day, after school or at all. That takes a lot of doing for me do that tells you something right there. The next day they say she's fine and she goes to L's birthday party at a gymnastics place. I didn't take Kate and they all acted pissed at me for weeks.

First of all - if my kid gets it next guess who is going to miss at least a day of work (probably more because I'm a big believer in letting kids rest as much as possible after an illness)

Speaking of which - are you kidding me? You've vomited your guts out for 24 hours now go jump on the trampoline????

And finally, nice move for you to have all those unsuspecting parents of toddlers that have now exposed their kid to a stomach virus.
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • Options
    syoung0204syoung0204 Posts: 504
    edited August 2014
    One of our friends is a teacher and posted this on facebook this past Tuesday: "So, drove up to my apartment complex after school and stopped outside the office to check the mail. A sweet little boy about 8 or 9 was standing outside by himself looking lost after a bunch of little kids got dropped off the bus. I walked up and asked if he was ok, he said "um, yes, but do you work here? I think I got dropped off at the wrong place!" Poor kid, the bus dropped him at the wrong apartment building, and he was so scared! He didn't know his mom's number or the name of his school, just knew it was called "Elementary." Thankfully another teacher pulled up by me and we found his folder in his bag and called the school and mom's number. She finally called back after about 15 phone calls and said "oh yeah, this happened yesterday too," like it was no big deal, meanwhile her son is shaking and scared. I asked her if she wanted to talk to him and she said "immmmmm..... (waited about 10 seconds).... I guess I'll just come get him." UHHHH, YA THINK?!?!?! Spent almost an hour waiting with him and fed him cookies and lemonade from the office. I just wanted to hug him and take him home with me when mom showed up and acted like it was no big deal."
    tt1d79f4
    tt1b89c8.aspx
  • Options
    ZenZen Posts: 2,942
    edited August 2014
    The sister of one of my closest friends lost her husband last year and has a new love interest. Despite affections not reciprocated, she contrives to be with or near him all the time. He works at a gym and teaches karate for adults and kids. She spends 6-8 hours daily at the gym and takes her 3 kids with her. The kids range in age from 12-16.

She decided she didn't like their schools so last year she pulled them out and decided to home school them. Because of the time they spend in the gym, they have not had time to start home schooling. They cannot sign up for virtual school online because again there's just no time. So the kids are not in school.

I can't imagine how it is that children/family services hasn't stepped in. I get calls if my kid misses a day without my calling or sending a note. How could 3 kids just fall off the grid in plain view of friends and neighbors???
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    syoung, now I understand our school's Director of Transportation's concerns with my busing arrangement. I work at two different elementary schools and my son will be attending one of them. Two days a week I work at school B and he attends school A, 10 minutes away. Both schools get done at 3:10 and I can't make it to the school by 3:15 to have him be a pick-up, so I'm having him ride the bus that comes to the A/B town line where I can meet the bus. The bus will get there about 3:30 and it's 5 minutes from the school I'll teach at those days. The transportation director is concerned I won't be there to meet the bus. I'm like, "Seriously, this is MY 5-YEAR OLD. I WILL be there, on time, every day unless my car has a flat or dead battery in which case he should ride the whole route and be dropped off at school A where I will meet him." He said most parents are neither prompt nor reliable. Crazy. These are our kids.
    100_4667_zpspk4wwxj5.jpg
    r9vOm4.png
    Ri4Gm4.png
  • Options
    K&HK&H Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Zen-- you could anonymously call. I mean, maybe she's doing something no one sees... But maybe she isn't and these kids just aren't getting an education. That would be sad.
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    In my state you have to register with your local school that you are home schooling. That puts you on a list that falls under the state schooling guidelines, and you have to document what curriculum you're using, what testing you're going to have your kids take to show proficiency, etc. Toward the end of the school year, the kids have to be tested in an independent setting like a library where the librarian signs off that the student actually took the test and not someone else, and then those results have to be submitted to the state Dept. of Education. That said, she can continue going to the gym for another 9 months before it shows up that she sucks as a teacher. Unfortunately, this happens sometimes. There are some fantastic homeschooling parents, and then there are the rest.
    100_4667_zpspk4wwxj5.jpg
    r9vOm4.png
    Ri4Gm4.png