Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Kindergarten Vs. Developmental Kindergarten

roses25roses25 Posts: 567
edited November -1 in Parenting and Life
Our school is starting a developmental kindergarten program this year. The kids that are not ready for kindergarten will go into developmental kindergarten and then the next year do regular kindergarten before moving onto 1st grade. At this point it is not required, and DK vs. K is parental choice.

I need some opinions here.

Last year I took Aiden to school and he did some screenings and they recommended him for K. His preschool teacher (had her for 2 years) recommended him for K also.

Today I found out they are suggesting DK for him. I'm not for sure what caused the change in decision for him from last year, but I'm guessing it had quite a bit to do with the melt down that he had basically because I have been placed as support in his classroom for another student (you can read about it in another post on this board if you haven't already).

I was told that they didn't think he would struggle academically, but he is immature socially and very small for his age. I disagree about being small being a reason because another year isn't going to make a big difference for him. Most likely he'll still be smaller than most of the other kindergartener's in a year. He's likely could be picked on for size no matter what class he's in and he's going to have to learn to stand up for himself. He doesn't interact socially in groups like other kids, and I brought that up in several times in preschool as being a concern and they dismissed it saying he just prefers to be an observer. However, I don't think it should take a child until December two years in a row to come out of his shell. Now the 3rd year of school (majority of the kids are the same as the past 2 years) we are once again starting over with holding back socially. However, he is blurting out answers in large groups, so apparently he does feel comfortable enough to share answers. The example they gave was that they were playing a game and the kids skipped him and he never said he it's my turn. I'm sure he knew it was his turn. In my opinion K are new to board games and how to take turns in games should be modeled to K's anyway. To me tis doesn't scream ...not ready for K.

I talked to his speech therapist & ot and they both thought academically he'd be fine because a very bright kid. They also said that if he prefers to be an observer and holds back socially that most likely another year in K (DK & K) won't probably make much of a difference. They suggested going with the preschool teacher's opinion of K because they know him better than these teachers who have only had him for 5 days. His OT actually suggested I request a change of placement so that I'm not in the K classroom with him because for most kids they don't do well when their parent is in the classroom.

Does anyone have any suggestions/thoughts for me to think about as I make up mind one way or another? Aiden's best friends are in K (one because he fits there & the other because the parent is saying no to DK) I've asked for a scope & sequence for both DK & K and haven't received one yet. At this point I'm leaning toward K.

Carolyn
EBD822A6-1848-4872-A55B-C1ED22646371_zpsufz2fxda.jpeg
schm94df60emqyke.png
lazxi8i3cso8qa7m.png
lfngmjscscvr4zbw.png

Comments

• Options
    K&HK&H Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If he's been in preschool for two years then board games and turn taking should not be new for him. My vote would be DK. There's no need to rush him into school, there's not much advantage, it sounds like from what you've said. He does sound socially immature and if you can give him any small advantage by giving him extra time, that's what I would do. Every year half of my clients are kindergarteners. It's a hard transition year, and can at times become academically rigorous very early on. In another country he might not even start school until 6 or 7, so why push at 5?
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    ZenZen Posts: 2,942
    edited August 2014
    I struggled with this too because Shiloh missed the cut off for kindergarten last year by 23 days. Academically she was more than ready. To get her in though, I would have had to put her in private schook for K-2 to get around the age cut off.

The benefit for holding back was [is] having her be the oldest in her grade instead of the youngest. This was seen as positive for peer pressure both now AND later. Fast forward 10 years and she will be the first to drive in her class. This means that she won't be getting into cars with untrained classmates until a year later. Same thing with dating! As an older child, she should be more confident and more assertive.

The benefit to pushing her ahead was better schooling that year. In the long run though, does it really matter if she graduates at 18 or 19? I'm happy to have my baby with me for one more year!

With Aiden, he is not a special needs child but he is sensitive. If you can get an extra year for him mature and develop without penalty, I'd grab it with both hands!
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png
  • Options
    KariKari Posts: 1,765
    edited November -1
    I would lean toward either the DK then K route, or two years of K if he needs it. That would've been my plan with Justin if we had a DK program; but we don't, so I'm leaning toward two years of K. Of course, they're completely different kids, but I think you know our boys have a lot of similarities. :) I want Justin to learn to love school first, then realize it can be challenging. Right now he doesn't have the frustration tolerance or emotional maturity to handle the pressures of 1st grade. If he does at the end of the school year, I'd consider it, but he's got a looonnng way to go from where he is today.
    100_4667_zpspk4wwxj5.jpg
    r9vOm4.png
    Ri4Gm4.png