Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Gifts for 2nd child

roses25roses25 Posts: 567
edited November -1 in Parenting and Life
Does anyone else struggle to figure out what to buy as gifts for their 2nd, 3rd, etc. child? I feel like we have too many toys and during the infant toddler years the toys aren't really that gender related so Addy plays with all of Aiden's toys from when he was her age. Does anyone do the what you want, what you need, something to wear, something educational gift plan at birthdays or only at Christmas? Any great ideas for 2 year old girl birthday gift ideas?
EBD822A6-1848-4872-A55B-C1ED22646371_zpsufz2fxda.jpeg
schm94df60emqyke.png
lazxi8i3cso8qa7m.png
lfngmjscscvr4zbw.png

Comments

• Options
    old mamaold mama Posts: 4,682
    edited November -1
    One thing I have done because I had adopted more than 2...is to cut down on the number of gifts...there has to be one thing even as young as your daughter is that when she sees it she lights up...I found that a lot of the time it wasn't the most expensive things on the market either. A walk through the toy section with your daughter might give you an idea.
  • Options
    hortonhorton Posts: 67
    edited November -1
    I benefit from the fact that my kids are 4 years apart, so most of the toys that are suitable for Judah now have been put in the basement for storage for a couple of years. Also, I go way simple for gifts anyway, which helps. I really buy Judah next to nothing for holidays or birthdays. Literally I didn't buy him a single thing last Christmas. I just go down to the basement, open the tub of toddler toys willow has long outgrown, pick a couple of things I think he'll like, and wrap them for him. I take Willow "shopping" for him down there too. My kids only get 3 things each plus stockings with at supplies at Christmas, so it's pretty easy to manage that way. He'll be 2 in two weeks, and I did buy him a pair of light up shoes (he is REALLY into shoes). I intended for them to be for Christmas, but I'm afraid they won't fit by then, so he's getting them now. His other gift from me will be a zoo pass for him (Willow and I have individual passes, but he will need one bc he won't be free anymore). He can also pick out a balloon on his big day. Willow will go shopping for him in the basement, and that's all he'll get. He already has so much, he just doesn't need more just for the sake of having a certain number of gifts to open, imo.
  • Options
    MNmommasMNmommas Posts: 1,081
    edited November -1
    For birthdays, we do experiences. This year's birthdays were the zoo - we all went together to a special toddler zoo adventure class. Next year will probably be Children's Museum or a different zoo class. When the kids are older and have an opinion about it, they can choose and also can tell us if they want it to be whole family or solo date w/parents. We'll probably also add their choice of birthday restaurant when they're a little older too. We have different traditions around Christmas time, such as decorating the tree together, cooking & baking together, unwrapping that year's special family tree ornament on Xmas eve, and a special family experience on Christmas day (this will likely be all day hiking/sledding/skiing/tubing/swimming most years). Not too big on consumerism so we intend to limit gifts of "stuff" coming from us - they get enough of that from Grandmas & Grandpas. The nice bonus is that means we don't have to agonize over what to get them! :) Plus there's no increase in clutter. :)
    Donor 7070, births 2012 & 2013
  • Options
    sara291sara291 Posts: 1,042
    edited November -1
    Yes!!!!
    Especially since most of the things I think of we already have bought & gotten did of from the boys. I want to get her things but don't know what. Our house is packed with toys though most are geared towards the boys current interest. I did buy a doll & stroller (also to be used as a early walking toy) for Christmas / 1st birthday but other then that I just can't bring myself to buy what I already got rid of again. I'm trying to think of a few sure best type gifts.
  • Options
    MNmommasMNmommas Posts: 1,081
    edited November -1
    Best "stuff" gifts are open-ended play like blocks (or really any kind of building material - legos, lincoln logs, etc), art materials (chalks, paint, crayons, etc), pretend play (open ended like play silks, simple dolls, etc), movement (like balls, playground equipment, jump ropes), books, puzzles, and music.
    Donor 7070, births 2012 & 2013
  • Options
    ZenZen Posts: 2,942
    edited November -1
    We get totally overwhelmed with "stuff" at the holidays. The first two years I had the older two I wanted them to feel showered with gifts and went overboard. While they loved opening the presents, when it was all done I was left with the mess and putting away toys/clothes/accessories was a chore for all. This year I may scale back to 5 each. One present that they "really" would like, and a few more gifts for the holiday effect.

Shiloh loves toys. But she doesn't always care whose they are. Like yesterday. She played with a barbie doll for the first time since getting it last year. It had a bike and a little sister and that's why she wanted it. Did the big/little sister barbies ride the bike? Noooooo. Shiloh's barbie played with her big brother's T-rex and stegosaurus!

I love the idea of experience presents -- especially if able to do as a family :)
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png