Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Going from two cars to one

fischfisch Posts: 570 ✭✭
edited September 2014 in Parenting and Life
Anyone else in a two-parent family in suburbia consider this? We recently have had some pretty amazing logistical changes in our household. Our son got into the private independent school across te street from our house, my job location changed to 3 blocks away, and my wife started telecommuting weds-Fridays. Emerson still goes to preschool across town, but that's our only anomaly. We are trying to figure out if we can go to one car! Has anyone shared a car with their partner successfully?

We are really trying to simplify our lives. We no longer have weekend commitments for the kids - just play. We want less stuff, more outside time, and we are having to get more creative with vacations and stuff now that we are starting private school.
age.png

age.png

Comments

• Options
    MNmommasMNmommas Posts: 1,081
    edited November -1
    Totally doable. We have a 2nd car but it's for emergencies (MN harsh winters, don't want to be stuck w/0 cars if there's an accident) and if we need to move bigger things (station wagon with a hitch). So we live as if we have just one car, and have had no problems even though DW & I both have fairly long commutes (30-45 mins one way). We do errands on our way to/from work or when we both have off.

Since you work 3 blocks away, you can either get yourself there (walking, biking, etc) or be dropped off by DW, so she still has the car to go to work, do errands, drop kids off, etc whenever she wants. Plus she only has to travel to work 2 days a week? Sounds like a no brainer! The only reason I'd keep a 2nd is if you live somewhere like MN with long, hard winters and want a back-up car. But in that case, you can drop the insurance on it to bare minimum, sell it & get something else super cheap...or just go without and wait to buy a secondhand one super cheap if you end up needing it. That would be the ultimate simplification.
    Donor 7070, births 2012 & 2013
  • Options
    merilungmerilung Posts: 1,177
    edited November -1
    We don't have kids yet, but we've never had more than one car (and have been car free for years at a time) and couldn't imagine what it would be like to have two. Your set up sounds like it would work great with one car!
    TTC since September 2007 - 8 donor insems in 2012, all BFN. DH had varicocele repair #2 1/3/14.
    It worked! Two clomid cycles and two IUI's with injectables all BFN, on to IVF! 3dt of 2 perfect embryos on 12/15/14, BFP 7dp3dt! Frederick Lars born at 37 weeks on 8/15/15!! FET for #2 on 9/29/16 - BFP 5dp5dt!! Bertram Wilder and Mabel Moon born at 28.4 weeks on 3/29/17!
  • Options
    tinydancertinydancer Posts: 1,210
    edited November -1
    I think it sounds amazing! Go for it. What you are trying to do is go minamalistic it sounds like. Less stuff, more money in your pockets.
    Have a bike or 2, one car and you are all set :)