Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Bye Bye Passy!

lvillelville Posts: 376
edited November -1 in Parenting and Life
Just wanted to share a bit on our getting rid of the pacifier saga. I have been so wanting for my daughter to give up her "passy" for some time. This has occasionally led to sleep issues, as she would wake up, not be able to find it, not be able to get back to sleep without it, wake me up to get it, etc. During cold /flu season, when she was stopped up, I would be woken up a loooot for this reason.

My goal was to be rid of it before this years cold/flu season. She turned 2 in August, and had only been using the passy at night for some time. I weaned her from it during the day, and discovered daycare was not giving it to her for months during nap time (wow! they said yeah, they lost it and forgot to tell me, and she was just sleeping ok without it...like it was nothing, wow!). I realized that my daughter also was as ready as she could be to be rid of passy. She has become much more verbal, interested in the world, sleeping fine, no major transitions in store, etc.

I first tried talking about the pacifier leaving us...which lead to demands for "I want two passy". Then I decided to do the Build A Bear thing, where she puts the passy in a build a bear, and that seemed to click better. I talked up the idea LIKE IT WAS THE BEST THING THAT WAS EVER GOING TO HAPPEN. EVER. I got allll excited that passy was going to go inside a bear!!!! Woooowww!!! (Toddlers are so easily convinced at times) :-) We did the transition last Friday, and it has been great. She was excited to go to the store, picked out a (hideous) hot pink creature (she calls "Kitty Bear"), put her last 2 pacifiers inside it, and that was it! She was upset the next morning and demanded Kitty Bear give the passy back, but I talked to her about it, and then distracted her. Saturday night she asked for the passy once, then I reminded her that SHE put it in the Kitty Bear, and she can hold Kitty Bear tight and feel the passy inside (they are kinda in the arms/hands of the toy). She accepted this and went to sleep.

I just wanted to share, because I was so imagining it to be a rough transition. My gal looooved her passy. Loved it. It was seemingly harder on me to see the last bit of her babyhood leave. But she did it and I am so proud of her. Wishing others the same luck when it comes to transitions :-)

Comments

• Options
    blkbrd3blkbrd3 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Congratulations!
  • Options
    emlklg444emlklg444 Posts: 645
    edited November -1
    whoo hoo! that's great! We're working on giving up the bottle right now....very very tough.
    1st daughter born 9/26/2013 (bfp 2nd attempt at home ICI)
    2nd daughter born 3/8/2016 (bfp after 7 attempts at home ICI, 2 miscarriages, 1 D&C)
    age 36 evtim8.png
    age 39 K8qxm7.png