Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Birthday Humor

ZenZen Posts: 2,942
edited September 2014 in Parenting and Life
My little one turned 6 and I had what was supposed to be her first children's party on Saturday. Except the parents would not leave. They helicopter-hovered over their kids for two hours. I'd arranged for a pottery painting party with space and seating for 16 kids. I did not count on an equal amount of parents who unfortunately had to stand most of the time.

I invited kids from her kindergarten class and half the attendees were boys. Parents of boys called and texted for ideas on presents. I said if their son liked it, Shiloh would too. I thought trucks and cars would come. My child now has 6 new Barbie-like dolls. Seriously. I'm all for doing away with gender stereotypes but I don't believe all these little boys play Barbies!

One Barbie came with a golden retriever to potty train -- complete with dog treats, pooper scooper, and POOP! Both my 6 year old daughter and my 13 year old son spent hours playing with the Barbie dog and her poop pellets this weekend. SMH.

S2.jpg S3.jpg
AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png

Comments

• Options
    KariKari Posts: 1,765
    edited September 2014
    Funny! I've been to 5 birthday parties for 5-year olds in my son's class, and the parents were expected to stay at all of them.

Most of the parties had a theme (superhero, Spiderman, Lego, Frozen, etc.) and everyone bought things along that theme for the birthday child except us. After watching them open the 20th Spiderman or Elsa figurine, I started to think our gift looked a lot better just because it was unique at least.

My son would love a toy dog that pooped. Now, if it farted before pooping, he might never put it down. :rolleyes:
    100_4667_zpspk4wwxj5.jpg
    r9vOm4.png
    Ri4Gm4.png
  • Options
    melmel Posts: 793
    edited November -1
    J bought the dog that poops with her own money. It's ALL she wanted.

I am just getting the message that parties are drop-off parties now. I stayed with my kids at the last one (we didn't know anyone but the birthday girl and it was at a large park) but next time I might leave them. I bet other parents just wanted to see what their kids would create! :)
    Jjr6m5.png
  • Options
    old mamaold mama Posts: 4,682
    edited November -1
    I think one of the hardest things is to choose a gift for someone else's child. Perhaps you could work with your child and give the extras to charity around Christmas then something good would come of them. My son is 9 and it is still hard for me to leave him with an unknown family. He just went with a family I have known for a long time to an indoor water park for a party a couple hrs. away. I was a wreck until he got home. He was way too shy to go to parties without mom when he was younger. One time I took the rest of my family to the bowling alley the party was at and he went with the group and we stayed a few lanes away. One time the family played at the park near where he was at the party. I did let the families know we were going to be there and I never allowed my other children to accept even party goodies/food if offered as they were not the guests.
  • Options
    ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
    edited November -1
    Drop off parties here start around 5 or 6 but there are some " rules"

You have to state on the invitation it is drop off

It has to be at least an hour and a half and within a stones throw of things parents can actually go and do to kill time

The parents either keep the numbers manageable or plan for other adults that can help with art projects, food serving etc.

With K up to this point I notice 2 things: she's mostly really just being invited to close friends parties (versus whole class type deals) and we are all such good friends we kind of want to hang out with each other while the kids do their thing. Except a couple weeks ago when my friend said: it's drop off, we are too cheap to feed all the parents (it was st the Anerican a Girl Bistro).

For her 5th birthday Kate got every make-a-headband, bracelet, necklace making kit ever made. Maybe that's the Montessori version of 6 Barbie dolls!! Haha!
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • Options
    coryandamandacoryandamanda Posts: 1,527
    edited November -1
    Age 6 has seemed to be the cutoff for parents stay vs. leave. I think it depends on where it is being held and what the activities are and how well the parents know each other on how that part goes. L will be 7(!!) soon but hasn't had a kid party in a couple years. I will be telling each parent they have the option to stay or go. A lot of the parents I am friends with so we like to hang out together but a few from school I don't know that well. L has been to 2 parties in the past year that I dropped her off at.
    And funny, L's list of kids she wants to invite right now is 6 or 7 boys and 3 girls. Wonder what she will get LOL. Thankfully most parents know her pretty well.
    July 4, 2015
    image_2.jpgu
  • Options
    EMG_RELEMG_REL Posts: 2,379
    edited November -1
    Happy birthday, Shiloh!

I'm so cheap that my main thought here is, "Oh no, we're going to have to buy birthday presents for a bunch of kids every year." But I'm glad I know what to expect now! :)
    wqr43o.jpg
    IRcim4.png
    iaXMm4.png
  • Options
    ZenZen Posts: 2,942
    edited November -1
    I was shocked by some of the expenditures. Some kids brought standard gifts (one toy or one game). But several others came with many. Like a Barbie, and coloring books, and stickers, and a purse! This is one time that I am most definitely not going to compete with the Joneses. As toys and games go on sale I will stock them in the gift closet and wrap as needed!
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png