Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Christmas Program with Blended Grandparents

roses25roses25 Posts: 567
edited November -1 in Parenting and Life
Aiden has a kindergarten Christmas program this year and would like both grandparents to come.....my dad/his wife and my mom. Well they all have a 4-5 hour drive to make it here, and I'm pretty sure they can't all emotionally successfully stay at our house even if we made the room. I'm not for sure what to do. I've thought about alternating who we invite so they come every other year if they'd like to come for it. But then I don't want to leave anyone out especially since it's Aiden's kindergarten year. I thought maybe I should house my mom and pay for a hotel for my dad since they probably would only stay one night knowing them and my mom would stay for a fun visit. The kids also have a spring concert, so I guess I could alternate one for Christmas and one for spring if they want to come yearly.?

Any suggestions on what's worked for you if you've been in this situation or what you think might work even if you haven't been there, done that before, etc.?

Carolyn
EBD822A6-1848-4872-A55B-C1ED22646371_zpsufz2fxda.jpeg
schm94df60emqyke.png
lazxi8i3cso8qa7m.png
lfngmjscscvr4zbw.png

Comments

• Options
    MNmommasMNmommas Posts: 1,081
    edited November -1
    If your dad & his wife are only going to stay for one night but your mom would stay longer, why not house your dad & his wife for the one night while your mom does a hotel that night, then when your dad & his wife leave, your mom can come stay for however long after that she is planning to stay? That way both get to have relaxed time with their grandkids at your home. Of course, if there are any financial discrepancies (for example, your mom is scrapping by but your dad is loaded), that changes things. Also, if you have a really stressful time around one of them or one is not at all good with the kids, you might not want that one staying over in your home. But otherwise, why not give them both some time, separately, in your home?
    Donor 7070, births 2012 & 2013
  • Options
    babybabybabybaby Posts: 1,564
    edited November -1
    i know this is not at all what you asked, but would your dad not understand that you have to choose between the two of them (him and your mom) and pay for his own hotel cost to see his precious grandson in a play? it seems crazy that you should have to foot the bill for them coming to see their own grandkid.
  • Options
    ZenZen Posts: 2,942
    edited November 2014
    I like the idea of Dad at a hotel because he wouldn't be alone. I would not alternate invites. Doing that guarantees offending one each time. Question: do your parents always take you up on the invites? For most of my events I over-invite because a third or more decline but I get credit for asking them!
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png
  • Options
    syoung0204syoung0204 Posts: 504
    edited November 2014
    Just extend the invite out and let them sort out the mess....
    tt1d79f4
    tt1b89c8.aspx