Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Does this ever stop?

ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
edited November -1 in Parenting and Life
If you have an older only child do they ever stop lamenting the existence of a sibling? A baby sister in our case :(.

I am 99% over my baby urges and even if I weren't that ship has totally sailed, I am very happy with an only child but she really never let's it go. Especially times when we are home together for long stretches without work, school, play dates etc. Now we do a TON of playdates and when she is at work with me it is a never ending play date, but it is never enough.

Just curious if anyone else deals with this. I expected it to get easier as she got older but it has been the exact opposite.
image_zps64579b54.png

Comments

• Options
    merilungmerilung Posts: 1,177
    edited November -1
    I'm an only child and went through phases of wanting siblings as a kid, but I am 100% happy to be an only child today as an adult!!
    TTC since September 2007 - 8 donor insems in 2012, all BFN. DH had varicocele repair #2 1/3/14.
    It worked! Two clomid cycles and two IUI's with injectables all BFN, on to IVF! 3dt of 2 perfect embryos on 12/15/14, BFP 7dp3dt! Frederick Lars born at 37 weeks on 8/15/15!! FET for #2 on 9/29/16 - BFP 5dp5dt!! Bertram Wilder and Mabel Moon born at 28.4 weeks on 3/29/17!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Merilung - it always makes me feel better when I hear from adults who were only children (or co-sleepers, or Montesssori, or whatever parenting choices I've made!) that they are happy, well adjusted adults.
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • Options
    K&HK&H Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    E has started this in the last six months and it breaks my heart. She's gone from having a ton of imaginary sisters to just sadly and quietly noticing all the other babies and sibling groups. :(
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    coryandamandacoryandamanda Posts: 1,527
    edited November -1
    Mine have plenty of siblings and still ask for more.
    July 4, 2015
    image_2.jpgu
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ^ha!

K&H - I don't think I feel the "awww" anymore because it is SO not going to happen and I'm not even sad about that! But yeah, everyone else having babies is not helping my cause.
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • Options
    ZenZen Posts: 2,942
    edited November -1
    I gave my little one two older siblings and now it's my 13 year old son who wants more. A little brother. *sigh*. Maybe in a year or two we'll get another exchange student and he can have a brother for a year!
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png
  • Options
    aplusaaplusa Posts: 1,919
    edited November -1
    My niece, the one who just became a big sister again, laments the fact that she keeps getting sisters. Where's the brother she's always wanted?! Specifically one named Charlie?! She's just about the same age as K. It has gotten worse with each new sibling added.

And, I was an exclusively and extended breast fed, co sleeping baby. I'm not claiming well adjusted, but I turned out pretty cute. Does that make you feel validated? ;)
    7NZpm4.png
    Lucky Cycle 14: IVF!! Antagonist Cycle with Lupron Trigger
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ^yup :). I think you are a great mom so what more could I ask for!?
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • Options
    merilungmerilung Posts: 1,177
    edited November -1
    Shanny wrote:
    Thanks Merilung - it always makes me feel better when I hear from adults who were only children (or co-sleepers, or Montesssori, or whatever parenting choices I've made!) that they are happy, well adjusted adults.

Ha! Funny enough, I was also a co-sleeping Montessori kid.
    TTC since September 2007 - 8 donor insems in 2012, all BFN. DH had varicocele repair #2 1/3/14.
    It worked! Two clomid cycles and two IUI's with injectables all BFN, on to IVF! 3dt of 2 perfect embryos on 12/15/14, BFP 7dp3dt! Frederick Lars born at 37 weeks on 8/15/15!! FET for #2 on 9/29/16 - BFP 5dp5dt!! Bertram Wilder and Mabel Moon born at 28.4 weeks on 3/29/17!
  • Options
    che_aramiche_arami Posts: 787
    edited November -1
    i'm also an only child, remember wishing i had a sibling (and asking my mom for one for christmas!), and now am perfectly fine. i still think it would have been a fun life to have brothers or sisters, but i don't think THIS life that i have now isn't also awesome :)
    got our miracle BFP on first IVF after 3 years TTC. DS born may 20, 2015 after emergency cesarean. all are doing well and trying to figure out this new journey!!
  • Options
    jones.mom02jones.mom02 Posts: 295
    edited November -1
    Haha love Coryandamanda's post! I think that's great to hear, coming from a mother of 4 and kids still they ask for more, seems like any child, single or with siblings, will ask for more :)

I think its healthy, because it means she can learn how to deal with a life situation she cannot change no matter how much she wants it. She'll learn in her own way naturally how to cope with wants that you can't get, so how to compromise with herself :) children that always feel satisfied and get everything they want don't ever learn this skill. As adults they are unstable, because it's then that they learn not everything you want will be handed to you.
    Celebrating 10 years together with 2 precious babies.
    Born: Jan, 2016 Home 2 IUI, partner carried
    Born: Nov, 2016 Home 1 ICI, I carried
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Jones - very good point! She certainly doesn't get everything she wants but this doses take it to another level (beyond toys, treats, etc). Thanks for making that point.

Merilung - love it :)
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • Options
    babybabybabybaby Posts: 1,564
    edited November -1
    i was the youngest of nine kids, and i begged for a sibling until my mom explained she had a hysterectomy and couldn't have any more kids. then i prayed that someone would just drop their newborn baby on our doorstep. i was always disappointed when i would rush downstairs to check in the morning, and there was no baby there. my point? whether you're an only child or a last child or a child who wishes for a sibling of a different gender, there is always going to be something you feel you're missing. i've come to terms with that in my decision to stop at two.

also, me and my siblings were independent sleepers and mostly bottle-fed, and we are all kinds of messed up. :)