Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

My helper vs. help me

KariKari Posts: 1,765
edited November -1 in Parenting and Life
Okay, crazy post, but I just had to share. I was doing some catch-up reading over vacation on my parenting magazines and I came across an article on getting your kids to be more helpful. The article said the kids own the responsibility if you use a noun (helper) rather than a verb (help). So I tried it. The last dozen times I asked my kids to help around the house I phrased it, "Can you be my helper and do this task," rather than, "I need you to help do this." It seriously worked every time with my normally stubborn kids. They even smiled and were tickled to be my helper. Just had to share because it was a simple change with major effect.

Feel free to add any tips to what has worked around your house as well, since mine may catch on after a bit and I may need to change it up!
100_4667_zpspk4wwxj5.jpg
r9vOm4.png
Ri4Gm4.png

Comments

• Options
    TxMoms2BTxMoms2B Posts: 532
    edited January 2015
    Just wanted to say I love this idea, it really resonated with me, and I'm going to try this with my son!

ETA: just tried this w/ C and it worked!
  • Options
    babybabybabybaby Posts: 1,564
    edited November -1
    i can totally see why, too. "be my helper" has so much more of a positive sound to it, whereas "help me" sounds like just another command. that is awesome!
  • Options
    melmel Posts: 793
    edited November -1
    I never though of it, but that makes perfect sense! I use "helper" all the time around here. I often just say "I need a helper!" and two or three will come running. Then they fight over who gets to help, so I make sure I have lots of jobs available. ;)
    Jjr6m5.png
  • Options
    ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
    edited November -1
    This works with other, similar stuff too. I ask the girls who wants to be "my taste-tester" versus taste this and tell me if it's good. This pickiest eater runs the other 2 over to get to me first. Neither A nor K are eager readers so if I ask who is going first they both "not me", if I ask who is going to be the leader they jump once again.
    image_zps64579b54.png