Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Flu shots - and catching it anyway...

fischfisch Posts: 570 ✭✭
edited November -1 in Parenting and Life
Anyone had this happen? We think jack has the flu. Temp 101-103 on average. Headaches, congestion, occasional nausea, probably from head pain....achy, and miserable, day 3. It was sudden too....just woke up Friday morning with a fever. We kept him home and looks like he will stay home tomorrow too. One down, 3 of us to go.....boo! We try so hard to stay healthy and it annoys me when something gets us anyways. I worry about dehydration and high fevers too. He had hullicinations last night so I know it's too high. Just venting....
age.png

age.png

Comments

• Options
    ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
    edited November -1
    Yes, L the youngest at work and her mom both got the flu. L had the flu mist. The most prevalent flu going around this year was not what they made the vaccine for so the vaccine is less than 50% effective this year.

You REALLY should take him in to confirm diagnosis. Whether or not you decide to give him Tamiflu, he should be seen by a doctor.

Elderberry syrup can help him feel better sooner and also help the rest of you avoid it. This blog also has natural remedies including ones she swear by for the flu.

http://lindsayleighbentley.com/2013/07/11/is-advocare-healthy/
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • Options
    TheOtherLovingMomsTheOtherLovingMoms Posts: 1,481 ✭✭
    edited January 2015
    Yes. I had the flu shot as did my son and oldest granddaughter. All 3 of us still got the flu. I also ended up with pneumonia and spent from Dec 27- January 4 in the hospital on iv steroids and antibiotics. We were told Tamiflu needs to be started within 2-3 days of symptoms starting in order to be effective. I hope he feels better soon and that the rest of you don't get it.
    IGXwm4.png
    I just turned 50 and fabulous!!! Enjoying life with my amazing family!!
    Mom to Rachel 33, Bethany 30, Rebekah 30, Zachrey 20 and several angel babies
    Grandma to Larissa 11, Brittney 11, Trevor 11, Destiny 7, Jayvin 6, Jackxon 3, Kaleb Joshua Rian 1. Grandbaby #8, Sariah Grace born 11-17-16
  • Options
    fischfisch Posts: 570 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks. We are trying the elderberry with Emerson (jack won't take it at the moment) for preventative measures and ordered some for us on Amazon. I think it tastes kindof good.

Nurse On the phone definitely says flu. Told us to expect to keep him home two weeks from school. She said he is contagious until he 100% symptom free. He still has 103 fever today, for the 3rd day in a row.
    age.png

age.png
  • Options
    KariKari Posts: 1,765
    edited November -1
    My dad was saying tonight that the flu vaccine is only effective on one of the 5 strains going around this year. :( My sister said that one of the elementary schools in her district had to report to the CDC earlier this week that 20% of its students and staff were out with the flu. It's the town right next to ours. And none of us got the flu shot this year, but I guess it wouldn't help anyway.

I did read that taking a Vitamin D supplement reduces the incidence of some strains of flu in half, but you have to take it for a month before the effects kick in. I'm 3 weeks into taking it and hoping. Might venture out for the flu mist tomorrow, just in case it helps.
    100_4667_zpspk4wwxj5.jpg
    r9vOm4.png
    Ri4Gm4.png
  • Options
    ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
    edited November -1
    Interesting Kari. Kate and I do not (have not, will not) get vaccine but we both take vitamin D every day and we were repeatedly exposed to the flu at work and never got it. Knock on wood neither of us has had ANY kind of illness this school year (we each take other supplements but D is the one we both consistently take.).
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • Options
    TheOtherLovingMomsTheOtherLovingMoms Posts: 1,481 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    We take vitamin d daily. Have for years. Still got the flu here.
    IGXwm4.png
    I just turned 50 and fabulous!!! Enjoying life with my amazing family!!
    Mom to Rachel 33, Bethany 30, Rebekah 30, Zachrey 20 and several angel babies
    Grandma to Larissa 11, Brittney 11, Trevor 11, Destiny 7, Jayvin 6, Jackxon 3, Kaleb Joshua Rian 1. Grandbaby #8, Sariah Grace born 11-17-16
  • Options
    tinydancertinydancer Posts: 1,210
    edited November -1
    Rarely ever get flu and we refuse all vaccines. Against them. I read about people dying or getting flu from the vaccine all the time w the field I am in. So its a no brainer for us.
  • Options
    KariKari Posts: 1,765
    edited November -1
    I also read today that taking Zinc can also help you either not catch the flu or shorten the duration (not the inhaled kind, but the pill supplement kind).
    100_4667_zpspk4wwxj5.jpg
    r9vOm4.png
    Ri4Gm4.png