Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Bike for 6 Year Old

ZenZen Posts: 2,942
edited November -1 in Parenting and Life
I've been looking for a new bike for Shiloh because hers is getting too small. It's funny because although we've had it for 2 years she's only just shown interest. So it's like new and time to pass on!

I've been looking at 16" vs 18" bikes and wanted input on what others have done with their little ones. She will definitely need training wheels. I'm not sure about pedal brakes vs the hand brake. Mel, CoryandAmanda, anyone else?
AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png

Comments

• Options
    ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
    edited November -1
    Last summer at 6.5 we put A in a summer camp where they teach them to ride their bike. She had just gotten a new one tha Christmas. When I dropped her off they took off everyone's training wheels and handed them back to us. That afternoon her Mom took her to get a bigger bike because they said that one was too small and they recommended a hand break. She took off that night. Needless to say the other 2 will be enrolled in "bike riding camp" this summer! So I'd say go bigger and get a hand break if she's on the verge if actually learning and enjoying it.
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    OMG but I would sooooo love a bike camp! Shiloh is an intellectual superstar but tends to be overly cautious and reticent when it comes to adventurous activities.
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png
  • Options
    fischfisch Posts: 570 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jack is the exact same way. Just started shoeing interest at the end of last summer. He has two bikes the same size (one from his cousin) one with training wheels snd one without. Both 16 in bikes. He is very into his training wheels. My goal is to work with him this summer without the trainers. Until then, I'm just happy he likes his bike. He still gets off at every hill and walks it, or puts on the brakes...he does not like to feel out of control....so we take it slow. Emerson on the other hand has a balance bike and crashes all over the place. She scares the crap out of me.
    age.png

age.png
  • Options
    gprime11gprime11 Posts: 228
    edited November -1
    I suggest going to a bike shop and having them fit her for a bike. You don't have to buy the bike just watch what they do and see what size they suggest then get on craigslist or something and buy a good used one. Breaks are tough and depends on how coordinated your kid is. Pedal breaks are easiest but can get frustrating if they stop without meaning to. She has to have both the hand strength and coordination to use hand breaks...if not she doesn't stop. I'm also against all training wheels. All it teaches kids is how not to balance on a bike and they get very reliant on them and don't learn to put their feet down every time they stop or get off balance. If she's not ready to pedal just take off the pedals and use it as a balance bike until she is.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Zen - I originally thought it was ridiculous and over priced. Then I saw the results. I've attempted teaching Kate but this is one are she adopts that cautious personality too and it is exhausting. hence the reason I will shell out the dough this summer!
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • Options
    sara291sara291 Posts: 1,042
    edited November -1
    Both the boys used balance bikes & took right off with out training wheels at 3 & 4. They did great. It kind of surprised me. R was riding a 2 wheel at 3 & Z on his 4th birthday. Neither fell or even needed to learn. They already learned from the balance bikes. Z who is 6 rides a 16 inch. He could probably handle an 18 inch but only because he is a pro at bike riding now. We have ramps for jumps & such. While they are learning I'd lean towards a 16 inch

So at 6 Z is still not great with hand brakes & both boys use pedal brakes more. What about taking the pedals off & turning her bike into a balance bike instead of training wheels?
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Oh yes that reminded me. That's what they did the first day of camp. Removed the pedals too.
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Many thanks to everyone for the great advice! I ended up going with an 18 inch bike. I had her fitted for it and she is actually 1 inch too short for 20 inch bike. I had her sit on it anyway to see if maybe we could get away with it but no. Her feet don't touch the floor even using her tippy toes. So we went with the 18 inch bike and the handbrake. We are going to start off with the training wheels; and then when she's ready, we will take them off.

image-4.jpg
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png
  • Options
    melmel Posts: 793
    edited November -1
    Aw, it's too bad you couldn't get the 20, since it would last longer. From the position of her legs, it looks like you already need to raise the seat on that one.
    Jjr6m5.png
  • Options
    coryandamandacoryandamanda Posts: 1,527
    edited November -1
    Even though the 20" is a little big for A we got it anyway. I refused to have to buy another bike in a couple years and H already got plenty of hand me down bikes so her next one will be new. A has hand brakes on hers and didn't have any issues with the transition but not sure if she was still using training wheels if it would have made any difference.
    July 4, 2015
    image_2.jpgu