Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Allowances

KariKari Posts: 1,765
edited November -1 in Parenting and Life
For those who give your kids an allowance, how much do you give them each week, and are there any parameters about how they spend it or if they have to earn it?

My plan is an ever-changing work-in-progress. For earning, I've tied to it chores, taken it away for potty mouth, and given out a base salary of $1/week and then given extra for doing extra chores (which he mostly doesn't want to earn).

He uses his money to buy small things from the dollar spot at Target or small toys up to $10, but at $1/week, he's going to go bankrupt soon. And he makes impulse buys that he later regrets and gets upset about, so then he breaks them on purpose, or they're crappy toys to begin with and they break on their own. Maybe this is just a lesson he has to learn and eventually figure out? But we're working on 3 months of this system and he doesn't seem to be learning.

Am I giving him too small an allowance to learn any true lessons about earning and spending? I was hoping the potential to earn extra money might motivate him, but he just wants what's free. His sister is willing to work, so perhaps it's time to use her as an example of how he could earn extra by paying her, or tie in getting dressed for school as another way for him to earn extra money, because that's a challenge for him as well.

What are you guys doing?
100_4667_zpspk4wwxj5.jpg
r9vOm4.png
Ri4Gm4.png

Comments

• Options
    ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
    edited November -1
    I know you asked for opinions of people giving allowances and I am not in that camp but I thought knowing why might be helpful. I too, went back and forth for years really about doing an allowance, the amount etc. We never actually started it. Maybe we did for like a week or two. My reasons are:

She just recently has ANY sense of money regardless of whether she has some of her own to spend or not. It just isn't a concept children under 7 can generally understand. That's the very earliest they get any concepts related to it, but there is still a long way to go even once they hit that plane. I know that people feel giving an allowance to young children so they can start to understand that helps, but I really think that if you start an allowance at 4 versus say 8 you end up in the same place when you have an 11 year old.

It isn't at all in line with how I want to raise her, I realized! I don't get paid for doing the dishes, nor will she. I want her to do things because it is her responsibility as a member of our family, not because she will be compensated for it. Just like behavior charts, sticker charts, chore charts - I just don't believe in them. These schools that now do a color system to make kids behave make me want to cry and pull my hair out at the same time! I want her to behave, be nice, do the right thing for the sole purpose that it is the right thing to do not because of exterior punishment, shame or praise.

I never have cash on me to give.

I don't want it to become a bribe/bargaining tool/threat (same reason we don't do Santa). If you don't do the dishes you won't get your allowance. So what happens when they don't care if the get their allowance, they can just opt out right? In my house the logical consequence to not doing dishes are that there are no clean dishes to eat on. It has never gotten to that point but if there is ever a question about whether she needs to help me do things I explain to her that if I have to do all of the work by myself it will take twice as long and we won't have time to do things together.

We started with helping around the house VERY young and it has never wavered so it isn't a huge issue but if it were I don't think money would be the solution.

I don't want 4 million little trinkets in my house that she bought with her allowance.

Lastly, you have to know what works for your kid! While I don't believe in sticker charts and what not I have also never had to go there with Kate because it isn't what will motivate her. She is a people pleaser, both me and herself so that also leads to money not really being a consistent motivator for her.
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • Options
    K&HK&H Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ditto to every single point Shanny made!
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    coryandamandacoryandamanda Posts: 1,527
    edited November -1
    I agree with a lot of what Shanny said but I do know that rewards do work well with a lot of kids, especially as an initial motivator for certain tasks. I would suggest giving him tickets or something similar instead of cash and when he gets a certain amount of them he can turn them in for a surprise treat that YOU chose. That way you can pick things out that are useful and not trash and it won't be money wasted. They do not have to be toys or whatever either, my kids biggest motivators are things that involve spending time with us.
    July 4, 2015
    image_2.jpgu
  • Options
    KariKari Posts: 1,765
    edited November -1
    I like the idea of tickets and less crap in my house! A few weeks ago he had to sleep in his own bed 5x to earn a special outing and he was really focused on doing that, and he loves extra time with me.
    100_4667_zpspk4wwxj5.jpg
    r9vOm4.png
    Ri4Gm4.png
  • Options
    ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
    edited November -1
    Babybaby - I am laughing that to you "old fashioned" means giving an allowance! I see it totally opposite.

I have no doubt that the things you say are happening are - but my money is on it not lasting (pun intended). I've seen it with all kinds of extrinsic motivation for kids. In fact, I can't think of an instance where it has lasted more than a few weeks with this age group.

Does that mean you shouldn't do it? For me, yes. Again, I want her rewards to be intrinsic. But if you do choose to do it, just be on the look out for a shift and be prepared to change your game plan to keep them motivated.

And no, Kate can't cannot earn money outside of the house. It's called childhood and I am 100% ok with that distinction! She also can't stay up all night, drink wine or have a cell phone.
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • Options
    babybabybabybaby Posts: 1,564
    edited January 2015
    you might be onto something. we have only been at this for three weeks now. i will be happy if this only prompts her to learn numbers on sight, though. getting her interested in sight recognition of numbers and letters has been hellish.