Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Flu

mausandlodiemausandlodie Posts: 312 ✭✭
edited November -1 in Parenting and Life
We all have the flu and it is terrible. Henry has been coughing, sneezing, with body aches and sore throat plus a fever of 101-102 for the past couple of days. Maeve has been coughing for two weeks and has developed a secondary lung infection on top of the flu - she's on Zithromax (seems to be working - her fever is gone and coughing finally easing up) plus albuterol and prednisone. The prednisone side effects have turned her into a monster - she's hyper and aggressive and keeps hitting everyone including pets. Tomorrow is the last dose, thank god - there is nothing more terrifying than a toddler with roid rage. Had to take my wife to urgent care last night because she had a fever of 104. They did bloodwork, X-rays, and flu test - told us she had the flu and we just had to wait it out. Ugh.

Enough complaining - I actually have a question. Anyone have any pro tips for keeping sick kids hydrated? Henry is my biggest concern - I've gotten him to eat a couple of Popsicles but mostly he just wants to lay down. Thoughts?

For anyone keeping score: kids had flu shots, we didn't. So far, I see no difference in severity of symptoms - if anything, the kids are sicker than we are.
fb07f31c-23cd-4846-9060-8d5113d22bdb_zpsejjbeelw.jpg
4d79eb04-373b-476e-96e2-4b5387a0f1e1_zpsoeetv1ez.jpg

Comments

• Options
    ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
    edited November -1
    Will he drink kombucha? Or regular juice - I don't mean crap juice but fresh squeezed oj, carrot, beet (all three are yummy together), smoothies? I notice Kate drinks way more if she has a straw cup versus an open top.

Surprised they didn't offer anyone tamiflu. Around here they don't bat an eye and give it to everyone.

Hope the worst is behind you all.

If you can get elderberry, I swear by it. Also, this blogger has lots of natural remedies:

Lindsay Leigh Bentley. Sorry can't pull it up on my phone right now but if you google it I'm sure you'll find her.
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    We are all about the elderberry here. He's usually a huge smoothie guy And thinks any juice is a treat but won't do either right now, even with a straw (which he loves). Pedi said tamiflu wouldn't buy him enough relief to be worth the GI side effects - urgent care said something similar to my wife last night. I didn't get a fever until this morning (coincidentally, my first class of the semester was tonight - good times).

I've never tried giving him kombucha but might be worth a shot - and will google Lindsey - thanks!
  • Options
    MNmommasMNmommas Posts: 1,081
    edited November -1
    Both our littles got something pretty nasty about a week ago. Might've been flu, might've been something else, but we all came down with some form of it involving much nausea & vomiting & some diarrhea. W got it first, poor lil' guy. Vomiting & diarrhea so bad & constant that we had to take him to the emergency room in the evening and didn't get home until 2 in the morning. They gave him 2 units of IV fluids, and IV anti-nausea meds & antibiotics. I don't remember them telling us about the antibiotics until his IV was already going or I would have questioned that, but they said in addition to whatever virus he had, one of his ears looked a little red. Since I don't want to create any superbugs, we've faithfully followed through on the antibiotics, but not thrilled about it. Probiotics seem to thankfully have helped keep the antibiotic-diarrhea in check.

While both kids started feeling much better within 24 hours of the onset of their miserable symptoms, their appetites didn't come back until 3-4 days later. Normally they are really good eaters, not picky at all, but I could hardly get them - especially R - to even take a lick of the pedialyte popsicles. Ditto with smoothies, which she is usually crazy about. She'd only eat tiny bites of applesauce and yogurt&oatmeal. On day 3 or 4, I made up a big pot of fresh chicken squash soup since I was feeling better, and she started eating more then. But it really was a solid 3 days at least where she was not very interested in food.

As far as keeping them hydrated, they both nursed a *lot*. Way more than normal. I know that's no help for Henry. :(
    Donor 7070, births 2012 & 2013
  • Options
    coryandamandacoryandamanda Posts: 1,527
    edited November -1
    So sorry you all are going through this :(. My kids love munching on crushed ice. Maybe he will do that??
    July 4, 2015
    image_2.jpgu
  • Options
    K&HK&H Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    When E was 3 and had the flu H actually got her a sippy cup that is really just a glorified (expensive) bottle. She totally went for it and any time she has the pukies she gets to have it. Maybe something special like that?
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    fischfisch Posts: 570 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Popsicles made with Gatorade. They really need more than just liquid. We actually got Jack an icee machine (made by jelly belly?) for Xmas and we used that with Gatorade poured on top. Also, he likes the boullion cubes in hot water, chicken flavored. It's just a salty broth, but he loved it warm on his throat, and something about the chicken soup effect I think.....good luck. It's terrible, we know.
    age.png

age.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    We are on day #8 of fever for Henry. Maeve is completely well, I have recovered from the flu and started antibiotics for a terrible sinus infection, and my wife was improving but has started to feel terrible again today. Took Henry to the doctor yesterday - he couldn't find anything to treat but said to bring him back on Tuesday if the fever was still going and they would do a chest x-ray and blood work. Really hoping he wakes up well and we get to avoid all that. The weird thing is that he seems pretty OK every morning - congested, but OK. The fever starts late morning/early afternoon. Poor kid.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Finally a fever-free day! He's got a little of his spark back, but I still wouldn't say he's 100%. Going to let him go back to school for a half day tomorrow and see how he does. I think things are finally moving in the right direction :)
  • Options
    EMG_RELEMG_REL Posts: 2,379
    edited November -1
    I'm glad he's starting to feel better!
    wqr43o.jpg
    IRcim4.png
    iaXMm4.png