Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Mono

K&HK&H Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
edited November -1 in Parenting and Life
How contagious is it? One of our favorite babysitters just found out she has it. This after we saw her for extended hours at least three days last week and we are likely to see her more this week. (They live seven houses down and have a sledding hill, we've had 36+ inches of snow in the past seven days)
I know kids can get it. But how worried should we be? What are the best precautions to take?
GOzIm4.png
hAO7m4.png
CmQMm4.png

Comments

• Options
    iforgotiforgot Posts: 4
    edited November -1
    Fwiw I had mono a few months ago and my daughter didn't catch it (that I know of) and she sleeps with me. I believe you have to share saliva to catch it (that's why it's the kissing disease!) but I know I did not share saliva with anyone directly. The dr said I could have caught it from a shopping cart or something like that...
  • Options
    ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
    edited November -1
    I honestly don't know how contagious it is or how to avoid it but after going through it with an almost 4 year old I would STAY THE HECK AWAY! It was quite possibly the worst months of our lives. She was sick so often the first few years of her life and this was like the straw that broke...blah blah.

It was awful. She was exposed at the beginning of the school year. The student who had it wasn't even in her class and I never heard of anyone else getting it. But she. Got. Everything. It wasn't until it was "gone" after 8 weeks that we finally got the diagnosis. That was 8 weeks and 7 doctor appointments trying to figure out what was wrong with my baby. It honestly took her 6 MONTHS until she was back to her usual self.

I think the not knowing was the worst part for us and obviously you'd have a better idea knowing you've all been exposed. But yeah, I'd do anything to keep my child from going though that.
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • Options
    ZenZen Posts: 2,942
    edited November -1
    I had mono when I was six years old and missed two months of school due to the illness. My four-year-old sister never got sick at all. So I don't know how contagious it is, but in my house I was the only one who ever got sick. That said, I would do everything possible to boost your child's immune system – orange juice, plenty of sleep, anything you can think of!
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png
  • Options
    coryandamandacoryandamanda Posts: 1,527
    edited November -1
    My sister had it when we were kids/teens and was the only one out of 5 kids and 2 parents that got it. She was almost hospitalized because it was so bad. I would be careful now that you know but don't stress over it.
    July 4, 2015
    image_2.jpgu
  • Options
    sara291sara291 Posts: 1,042
    edited November -1
    My Dad had mono as a teenager and missed tons of school. He said it took months to feel fully better. However he is now realizing the long term effects of have having Mono. As he gets older he is often in very easily exhausted. Way more then he should be and the drs said that's very typically in people who have had Mono in the past. It really sucks. I would rather be extra careful & avoid it if I was at all uncertain in the possibility of catching it.
  • Options
    melmel Posts: 793
    edited November -1
    I had it when my kids were 4 years old and was sick for months, but missed very little work because missing work just wasn't an option. I also visited my gf during that time (before I knew it was mono) and everyone around me, kids and adults, stayed healthy.
    Jjr6m5.png
  • Options
    ana8284ana8284 Posts: 628
    edited November -1
    I had mono in college and I have no earthly clue where I got it. I hadn't dated anyone in quite some time and the none of the few people I shared drinks etc with ever had it. Luckily we were on summer break so I didn't miss school but I missed almost a month of work so I would definitely say if you can avoid it to not have her around. You never know how it passes. I honestly doubt she will be out of the house much, I could barely get up to go to the bathroom when I had it.
    27zc85c.jpg

IUI #1- 07/12-BFN, IUI #2 08/12-BFN, ICI at home 10/12- BFN, Back to Back IUI #3 08/13-BFN, IUI #4 09/13-BFN, IUI #5 03/14- BFN, IUI #6 05/14- BFN, IUI #7 06/14-BFN
    KD-10/14-BFN KD-12/14-BFN IUI #8 3/15 BFN, IUI #9 4/15 BFN, IUI #10 6/17 BFN
    Potential Adoptive Parents- Baby Due November 2017!
    IUI #8 04/15- BFN
  • Options
    rj1898rj1898 Posts: 15
    edited November -1
    When I had it, I was told it's only spread through bodily fluids. No one else in my house got it.