Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Toy storage solutions

roses25roses25 Posts: 567
edited November -1 in Parenting and Life
Hi Everyone,

I'm in need of some good toy storage solutions. We have tons of options when get moved in our much larger house, but they need to be budget friendly. We have a 9 cube storage which is great for the small toys but what about the kid piano, the sit n spin, fisher price race track, the baby doll accessories such as the baby carrier, etc.? As of right now they all take up our floor space 24-7.
EBD822A6-1848-4872-A55B-C1ED22646371_zpsufz2fxda.jpeg
schm94df60emqyke.png
lazxi8i3cso8qa7m.png
lfngmjscscvr4zbw.png

Comments

• Options
    melmel Posts: 793
    edited November -1
    I can really identify with the frustration with the chaos of so many kid toys around! I felt the same but found a system that works. It helps that I have a basement playroom but I would use the same system if I didn't.

I use 2x4 ikea Expedit (actually the Kallax has replaced them now but it's the same: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50278482/ ) units on their side. Then I use clear storage bins from Target in each one so the kids can see what is in them. These are less expensive and more sturdy than the clear boxes that ikea makes for that unit. We store large things on top or in a square without a box. Art supplies are in two of these: http://www.michaels.com/recollections-10-drawer-rolling-organizer/10197632.html?cm_mmc=Sq1_Search-_-GooglePLA-_-Recollections-_-Recollections%2010%20Drawer%20Rolling%20Organizer&utm_source=GooglePLA&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Recollections&utm_term=Recollections%2010%20Drawer%20Rolling%20Organizer&utm_content=10197632&srccode=cii_17588969&cpncode=45-27464893-2 which I bought for $19.99 each during a super sale at Michaels.

I bought a plastic 4-drawer container for baby doll things (carriers, clothes, and accessories go inside and strollers are parked behind it) and I have hanging things for stuffed animals. I am on my way out but can post pictures later if you're interested.
    Jjr6m5.png
  • Options
    K&HK&H Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think we are the opposite. I can't stand seeing storage, so we have a closed cedar chest as her toy box in the living room, everything is in the closeable closet in the playroom, and her room has her kitchen with all food closed inside and a baby doll bed that holds all of her dolls.
    One thing we do is rotate. We have a ton of toys in our mudroom and basement, and that's where all of the big things are. Mostly she plays with the baby dolls (no car seat, no swing), so that's what is always available. Then if it's going to be a chunk of time at home I'll open the toy box. If we're having a snow day (or a sixth snow day), I'll go get something from the basement. This morning we had a bin of ponies, an electric train set, giant blocks... All were "new" because she hasn't seen them in weeks, and all went away again after lunch.
    It works for us to not have toys visable and available.
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    melmel Posts: 793
    edited November -1
    I think I'd be a lot more like that if I had to look at the toys all the time.
    Jjr6m5.png
  • Options
    K&HK&H Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Ah, I think I wasn't clear. I meant that I cant stand seeing the toys when they are "put away". If they're put away I want to not see that they exist at all. If I can see open cubbies or cubes you can see into, or shelves where the toys are visable.. Ick, ew, Blech, I hate it! I need to have a grown up house possible!

If we had a basement playroom I'm sure it would be totally different. I wouldn't care at all then!
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
    edited November -1
    Play room with a door has saved my sanity. But once every 3-4 I have to go in there and start from scratch. Smaller stuff is all in a built in cabinet now with one bookshelf used for the stuff she uses all the time. Larger items - ie anything American Girl related is just lined up against the wall and takes up the perimeter of the room. It's all so big. So happy for the door.
    image_zps64579b54.png