Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Do your kids ever have really, really short illnesses?

KariKari Posts: 1,765
edited November -1 in Parenting and Life
Twice this week I've been called by Juliet's daycare center to pick her up. On Monday, she woke up from a nap with a 101 fever. Anything over 100 and they can't attend for 24 hours. I arrive to pick her up 20 minutes later and she isn't running a temp. They hadn't given her any of her Advil to bring her temperature down. She continues to not run a temp for 24 hours, but has to stay home. On Friday I get a call at 11:00 that she has had two episodes of diarrhea within 5 minutes and I need to pick her up. It's five hours later and she hasn't had another bout of it, is eating and playing just fine, etc. Just like Monday.

I'm wondering if your kids ever randomly run fevers or have diarrhea for a exceptionally brief amount of time. I'm thankful she's not sick, but I'm starting to wonder if daycare is always telling the truth or exaggerating the situation. It seems a little strange to me.
100_4667_zpspk4wwxj5.jpg
r9vOm4.png
Ri4Gm4.png

Comments

• Options
    ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
    edited March 2015
    Sometimes this seems to be a precursor to an actual incoming illness. Hope not in your case. Were you on Spring Break this week or did you have to take off?
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • Options
    allthingsluckyallthingslucky Posts: 467
    edited November -1
    This happened to both my girls this week and myself. They had fevers for about 3 hours, it broke and then they were fine. I felt sick the other day, threw up twice over about 8 hours and then was done. It was really weird, but I'm thankful whatever it was wasn't more serious.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    We're not on spring break this week, so I did have to leave work twice. Fortunately Monday was during a meeting that I showed up for, not realizing it was cancelled due to multiple staff illnesses. I've missed a LOT of days this year due to the kids being sick, and most of the time I've been at work and been called to pick Juliet up, which I don't mind at all as long as it's a legitimate illness. I feel like Monday they were looking for something to be wrong because she didn't eat her lunch (she often skips a meal or eats very little at one meal each day, usually dinner). I also think their thermometer is inaccurate. I use an ear one at home and find it's too quick, like babybaby said, so I leave it in their ears for about 5 seconds before I click the button to get a reading.

Juliet often runs a fever before coming down with an illness, but I never saw the actual illness that typically follows a fever for her. No runny nose, cough, stomach ache, anything after Monday's fever.
    100_4667_zpspk4wwxj5.jpg
    r9vOm4.png
    Ri4Gm4.png
  • Options
    ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
    edited November -1
    You might honestly consider giving one of these to her day care. Not to be passive aggressive but genuinely helpful.

http://smile.amazon.com/Exergen-Temporal-Artery-Thermometer-TAT-2000C/dp/B004T6G550/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1426358501&sr=8-6&keywords=thermometer
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • Options
    babybabybabybaby Posts: 1,564
    edited November -1
    i am soooo not trying to engage in any kind of debate or whatever, but i just know that my sister's center had a temporal thermometer and had to stop using it because the readings, taken one after another on the same child, were all over the place.

here is scott and white's website on the most accurate type of thermometer to use:

http://community.sw.org/2011/11/which-thermometer-is-most-accurate/
  • Options
    edited November -1
    babybaby, I notice during the summer when they know I'm on vacation (and using those 3 days a week I'm paying for to hold my kids' spaces) I get a LOT more calls that have more vague symptoms. They have written policies regarding vomiting, diarrhea, and temp over 101, but I've been called before because Justin "was too hyper" one time and disrespectful to a daycare provider another time. (He said "no" to one daycare provider when she asked him to do something. I think that's typical for a 4-year old on rare occasions.) They never would have pulled that if I was at work.
    100_4667_zpspk4wwxj5.jpg
    r9vOm4.png
    Ri4Gm4.png