Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Moving from baby products to kid products....stinky kids

fischfisch Posts: 570 ✭✭
edited November -1 in Parenting and Life
I need help with products! We've been purchasing baby shampoos and soaps - well, always. But lately we've been noticing our son being a little ripe after school. He has started showering and moving away from baths this year, and he does have to supervised or he just stands under the water, no soap at all. When I do give him a good scrub, he still gets stinky the next day. We try for every other day showers, but maybe we need to make it every day....he of course, is starting to resist cleanliness... As most 7, 8,9 year old boys do....but now I'm starting to wonder if we need to do get better soap....currently we have Aussie grape something or other, and alternate between that and California baby...typically I buy the shampoo and soap in ones. Even after his showers though he remains a little musty...he's an average to skinny kid. He does have P.E. Twice a eeek and they run and sweat....we always time showers after P.e. Days....

Any product recommendations? Just baby powder? Toms of Maine? Natural but strong soaps for kids? I'm overwhelmed with the choices on diapers.com
age.png

age.png

Comments

• Options
    K&HK&H Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I tend to have the ph balance (or lack thereof) that encourages stinky pits. I hate it, but it is what it is. I tried to do the natural rock crystal deodorant thing, but no dice, just stink.
    Anyway, the reason I post is because I switched about five years ago to Galleyon soap by Keys, which is absolutely fabulous and if you can afford their stuff please buy it and enjoy. If not, as is my case now, I use peppermint Castile soap and have very very little smell situation anymore. In fact I can exercise with no smell, if I have a day when I notice smell by the end of the day it's surprising and noteworthy, which never used to be the case.
    I reuse the foaming soap bottle that the Galleyon came in (more than 3 years ago) and can either water the Castile a little or not. The giant bottle is pricey, but it lasts forever.
    Peppermint based seems to be the key for me.
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    merilungmerilung Posts: 1,177
    edited November -1
    We also use peppermint castile soap with great results. Dr. Woods, in our house, as we can't afford Dr. Bronners.
    TTC since September 2007 - 8 donor insems in 2012, all BFN. DH had varicocele repair #2 1/3/14.
    It worked! Two clomid cycles and two IUI's with injectables all BFN, on to IVF! 3dt of 2 perfect embryos on 12/15/14, BFP 7dp3dt! Frederick Lars born at 37 weeks on 8/15/15!! FET for #2 on 9/29/16 - BFP 5dp5dt!! Bertram Wilder and Mabel Moon born at 28.4 weeks on 3/29/17!
  • Options
    KariKari Posts: 1,765
    edited November -1
    Glad we're not the only ones going through this! Justin's only 5 and can sometimes go three days between baths, and other days within hours of a bath you can smell him. Even his classmate last week (who is "in love" with him) said he smelled bad and needed a bath. He can't handle fragrances though. Has anyone tried the other Castile soaps to know if they work okay, or did you only have luck with peppermint?
    100_4667_zpspk4wwxj5.jpg
    r9vOm4.png
    Ri4Gm4.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    We also use the lavender. It's lovely, but we like some fragrance. Is it his skin that does poorly, or that he does or doesn't like scents? You could have him smell them at the store.. But I know that's not going to be quite the same.
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    gprime11gprime11 Posts: 228
    edited November -1
    They have an unscented castile soap that works pretty well. I don't do well with scents but can tolerate the almond one.
  • Options
    sara291sara291 Posts: 1,042
    edited November -1
    I've never heard of these products. Luckily it isn't a issue with the boys yet but I have custody of my delayed sister & oh boy does she stink! It is intense. We've even seen the Drs. Making sure she shaves, and washes well with an antibiotic soap under her arms & then deodorant helps plus she reapplies but it's never gone. Even her lay dry takes often 2 washes to remove the odor and I have a very nice washer :( then when we dry her clothes the smell out the vent .. Deadly. I'd love to try one of these products for her. We've tried diet changes, seen the dr, blood work, googled ideas. It's bad. Even after her shower you smell it right away :(
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sara, I've also heard that using vinegar to wash underarms can help change the balance of the skin when deodorant only covers over it.
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    K&H wrote:
    Sara, I've also heard that using vinegar to wash underarms can help change the balance of the skin when deodorant only covers over it.

Will try that too. Can you link what specific soaps you've had luck with? I searched but so much came up. I did buy the one below but didn't went to get too many things since I'm not sure sure its correct
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001U260SS
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yes, that one you bought is exactly what I was talking about. It's SOOO goood!
    We just get the generic store brand peppermint castile soap, so I think any of those would work. I find the Dr. Bronner's at Target, or we get one at Fairway (which is a crazy awesome grocery store that we have out here).
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    This? Not sure why I haven't heard of this. Should I buy both? Just try one? I hate the odor. You can seriously smell it right after she showers :( her room/coats/bathroom needs to be cleaned so often. She is pretty lazy, not active at all and it's not even summer yet & the odor is there. Been battling this since I had her come live with me.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00120VWJ0/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1427237129&sr=8-2&keywords=dr+Bronner%27s&pi=AC_SY200_QL40&dpPl=1&dpID=51SKnZDJjSL&ref=plSrch
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yep, that looks good! If I could afford it, I would buy the Keys Galleyon all the time, but it gets really pricey. When you see the size of the bottle, you'll understand. The Bronner's is a much bigger bottle.. I refill the Keys foaming soap bottle with the Bronner's when I run out.
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png