Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Induction or cesarean?...that is the question!

Magnolia323Magnolia323 Posts: 185
edited November -1 in Pregnancy and Babies
I am currently 40 weeks and 5 days. I had a dr appt at 40 weeks 3 days and my numbers are 0 and 0. Not effaced, not dilated, no bloody show, no broken waters! I am aware that most new mothers go into labor after the due date but I'm pretty concerned bc I am scheduled to begin an induction on Sunday night. Don't get me wrong, I'm super excited to have a plan to finally meet my baby boy. I'm just worried that since there are no signs of labor that I will end up a c section after a looooong induction process. The other option given to me was a scheduled c section at 41 weeks 6 days (can't go past 42 weeks).

Has anyone had experiences with an induction? A full blown induction- from ripening to pitocin to breaking waters? Or any part of that process? I know we've been using pitocin for over 40 years but I hear both nightmare stories by women who swear by scheduled c sections and also success stories.

I was really wanting a vaginal delivery which is why at 37 weeks I had an ecv to flip my breech baby! Any advice/experiences?
Ms. Magnolia
HSG- June '14
#1 IUI @ Dr's- June '14 {BFN}
#2/3 IUI/ICI @Dr's and Home- July '14 {BFP!!!}
Baby BOY was born April '15

Comments

• Options
    ZenZen Posts: 2,942
    edited April 2015
    I'm When I was pregnant, I dreaded the thought of needing a C-section. Then I had a toxemia scare at 37 weeks and I was told I might need one under general anesthetic. I went to the doctor after a 24-hour test not sure if from that appointment if I was going to be sent home with an induction date, or going to the hospital that afternoon for an emergency C-section. With that reality, I forced myself to accept that a C-section would be okay. I was medically cleared upon review of test results and the next step was a scheduled induction two weeks later. However, by that point I was panicked at the thought of a long induction that could ultimately fail and result in my needing a C-section anyway. By the time the doctor came back into the room, I was quietly sobbing and asked him if he could make a C-section medically necessary again. That was when I found out that I could elect a C-section. Two weeks later, Shiloh was born by planned C-section and I lived happily ever after.

Needing a C-section as a last resort or as an emergency measure can be traumatic. Electing a C-section on the other hand is a very calm and planned procedure. I am sure that no matter what you choose you will hold a happy and healthy baby in your arms very soon. I just wanted to share my story so that you could know that electing is not always a bad thing.
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I've had many people tell me that their second child's planned c sections were a breeze compared to their first child's difficult labor (all different). Part of me is scared of the recovery from a c section and so it is not my first choice at this point. But if I choose induction and it doesn't progress, etc, I could end up with a c section and ultimately worse off bc I'll be exhausted from the induction while recovering from major surgery. However, if the induction works this will ultimately be best for my body- I think, bc it is closest to natural.....?

If anyone is willing to share how they recovered from their c section that may be helpful!
    Ms. Magnolia
    HSG- June '14
  • Options
    K&HK&H Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    H had a section after a 32 hour labor with 6 hours of pushing. What started out as a spontaneous labor dragged and dragged with pitocin, and epidural, a second epidural, and on and on.
    We were both sad that it had to go all the way to csection, but in the end it was a relief for it to be over and to have our healthy baby in arms. Recovery was no big deal for H, we did stay in the hospital for a week (including the three days of labor), part was baby jaundice, part was a possible infection for H which just needed observation. H was up and walking before they expected her to be and she was full of energy by two weeks post partum and happily would have gone back to work around four weeks but waited Til six.
    In the long run, it really didn't matter at all once we had our baby home.
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    michelle.malottmichelle.malott Posts: 107
    edited November -1
    I was induced, and delivered just fine. I went in at 8p and they used medicine to ripen my cervix, and the next morning I started pitocin, had my waters broken at some point in the early afternoon, and she came out about 11p.
  • Options
    katookatoo Posts: 324
    edited November -1
    I had an incredibly long induction at 39 weeks. They started with cervadil, which actually started my contractions right away. The next morning they started pit. I had back to back contractions for 42 hours followed by 3 hours of pushing. After 24 hours I was asking for a c-section, after 36 hours I was begging for one, but my son was showing no signs of distress so we marched on. I only remember the pain from the last 6 hours or so, and that was really due to a bad epidural and an anethesiologist who was too lazy (in my opinion) to fix it. I don't think I will ever forget the exhaustion though. It was pretty awful. My kid was tiny, but somehow I still ended up with a huge second degree tear. (I will never forget my OB informing me that she needed to do a rectal exam and then exclaiming, "Oh, good! Your rectum is still intact!") I don't have a c-section to compare it too, but based on how quickly my c-section friends have been up and moving around like nothing even happened, I am currently not convinced that recovering from a c-section is any worse than recovering from a bad second degree tear. In fact, I suspect the recovery from the tear was harder. Since I'm high risk, any future births will be inductions if they go to 39 weeks. I asked my OB if we could do a c-section for the next, and she laughed and told me no way. I should mention that prior to 24 hours into labor, I was dead set on a vaginal delivery. In the end, I'm glad I did it, but if I had a choice to do the c-section the second time around, I would take the c-section.
  • Options
    scorpiogrl7scorpiogrl7 Posts: 1,386
    edited November -1
    I was induced and was not effaced at all and only 1 cm dilated when they started. They did cervadil for 12 hours first to efface me, then started pitocin drip.

I labored for about 15 hours, pushed for 45 minutes, and did not have a c section.

I'd at least go ahead and try it.
    ZVvim5.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I love reading through all of the experiences and advice! Keep em comin! The good, bad and ugly!!

I know that my experience will be different as everyone's is :) I've def been researching both inductions and cesareans. There are risks to both but I have found that I feel more comfortable in attempting the induction before turning to the cesarean. At this point both ways are not all natural but the risk of going past 42 weeks is not one I am wiling to take to avoid these procedures. I am just worried at the 0% progress and the fact that my belly is huge and my lady parts are small. If cervical exams are painful I fear I'm going to tear during birth.

I'm pretty sure all of my fears are very common and worth voicing bc they are real risks that I need to normalize going into this process. Nothing worse than a horrible surprise. I will say though- I love hearing about the inductions that started with 0 and end with a healthy vaginally birthed baby ~the next day!
    Ms. Magnolia
    HSG- June '14
  • Options
    blkbrd3blkbrd3 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The bottom line is that your son will be delivered into the world from your body. What do you want and need from this transformative experience above and beyond specific medical procedures? Deciding how to proceed, or even when to change approaches, becomes clearer once you identify your unique needs.

I had hoped for a spontaneous labor and vaginal delivery. I was induced early and delivered by c-section. I needed to feel present and that my integrity was respected during the birthing process. My needs were honored. This experience left me feeling empowered, capable, loved, and awed by my ability to bring life into the world.

Again I ask, what do you need? How can you get that no matter what path your birth experience takes?
  • Options
    TtnChrisTtnChris Posts: 288
    edited November -1
    I was induced. They broke my water and everything around 3:30/4pm. Had her at 10:51pm the same night. Contractions sucked and came every min. I had an epidural by 6 I couldn't sit still or catch a breath. It went very fast though!
    Charlotte
    Born 11/28/14 - 38w1d
    7lbs 2oz - 19 in
    rt3tox.jpg
  • Options
    ZenZen Posts: 2,942
    edited November -1
    Before I tell you about my experience, I want you to know that many many people have successful inductions.

About 15 years ago I had stomach surgery and was home recovering for about five weeks. I spent a week in the hospital, could not get out of bed alone, and after going home I couldn't lie down flat so I slept semi-reclined in an easy chair for 4 weeks. When I got pregnant, the possibility of having a C-section was my worst fear. As a single mom, I wanted to be sure that I could take care of my baby on my own.

Everyone's pain threshold is different. In comparison to the earlier surgery, my C-section was a breeze. I was able to get out of bed on my own and was walking around with no IVs one day after delivery. Two days after delivery I was discharged. I was able to walk up the stairs to my second-floor apartment and take care of my little one on my own. That said, I was also given Demerol in the hospital and discharged with a prescription for Percocet. I was planning to bottlefeed so I had no concerns about the impact of these drugs on breast-feeding. If you wish to nurse your child, the odds are they will restrict you to Tylenol so the pain factor will be more significant.

IMHO ... my recommendation would be for you to go the induction route. But if you do you need [or opt] to go with a C-section, you will be just fine too :)
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png
  • Options
    aplusaaplusa Posts: 1,919
    edited November -1
    A c-section is surgery. It comes with risks. People will tell you the recovery from one to another is better or worse. Who knows how it will be for you?

Think about you. Any medical conditions that may be a complication to either route.

And finally, you're a few days overdue. Perhaps just give babe some time. I wouldn't induce until 41 weeks, 6 days. If it fails, then a c-section. But as a last resort at the last moment. You got plenty of time left to be pregnant. You can go from nothing to holding a baby in your arms in hours.

For the record, I lost a ton of blood and spent the first two days of my babies' lives in an ICU receiving blood and blood and blood products and blood. I had breech presenting twin A who did not want to come and a baby B in distress with a ruptured sac for five days after bedrest and antibiotics. My experience may be extreme. I don't think back on my recovery. I didn't even take a tylenol or motrin after the first day. I think back to the moment a nurse wheeling out one of the babies told me I should kiss him goodbye.

I'm not trying to scare you or anyone else, but I don't even understand why you are having this conversation a few days overdue.

Good luck to you!
    7NZpm4.png
    Lucky Cycle 14: IVF!! Antagonist Cycle with Lupron Trigger
  • Options
    KBthelandmanKBthelandman Posts: 71
    edited November -1
    I've had two inductions, and one scheduled c-section (transverse twins). The inductions were both due to carrying past 38 weeks. My inductions were much like what others have described. Fast, painful, back to back contractions due to the pitocin both times. Epidural helped immensely.

The c-section was terrible, mainly due to a bleeding vessel that drained into my labia and caused them to turn black/purple and swell to the size of half a football. (Unfortunately, I'm not exaggerating) I also contracted a massive infection, so instead of going home quickly I was hospitalized for 7 days, and discharged with a PICC line for IV antibiotics and home health care. Following that, while trying to carry one of my twins in an infant car seat, my incision ruptured and I required weeks more nursing care. I really hope to have a VBAC if I'm able to become pregnant again. I dread the thought of having to deal with any of those complications I'd had with the C-section. It seemed like anything that could've gone wrong with mine, did.
  • Options
    kelleymelkelleymel Posts: 1,402
    edited November -1
    In the hospital we delivered in, they only allow c-sections as a very last resort. In fact, our OB wouldn't sign off on the c-section until 2 days before our daughter was born, and my DW had placenta previa. The c-section went smoothly, but it's still major abdominal surgery
    TTC #1: BFP Cycle #11 IVF (2014)
    TTC #2: IVF April 2017
    BFP: FET Due February 2018
  • Options
    melandfomelandfo Posts: 490
    edited November -1
    I was induced at 40 weeks 6 days after 2 days of start stop labor and my membranes stripped twice. They had me come in on that Friday to the hospital because my midwife was on call. My blood pressure shot up for the first time so they admitted me at noon. I was 2 cm and she stripped my membranes a third time. At 3:45 they started pitocin, that evening they checked me and I was at 5 cm and my contractions were hard and every 2 min lasting 1 and a half minutes. They said I shouild get an epidural because I was exhausted. I finally agreed. My water broke right after the epidural when she was putting in an internal monitor. They kept upping the pitocin until I was on the highest they would let me have (20 I think). Saturday evening she checked me again and I was still only 5cm! I was so upset. I decided to take a nap because I felt defeated. I fell asleep and was woken up by people rushing into my room. The babies heart rate dropped. It came right back up but my dr and midwife came in and said that I needed a c-section and that the baby needed to come out now. 30 minutes later I was on the operating table. Shortly after I was holding my baby. I had him Saturday night and went home Monday afternoon.

I was terrified of a c section but in the end it doesn't matter how your baby gets here as long as they get here safely. Recovering from a c section is tough. The pain was not unbearable and I took care and carried a 10 lb 7.5 oz baby. You have to let people help you. I could not get up and down easily. My incision got infected the first few days. You will be sore but it is something you can work through. Tomorrow will be 10 weeks since my c section and my incision is still not closed. I had a fluid pocket weeks ago so my dr had to re open it and I had to pack it 3 times a day. It has healed so much that I don't have to pack it but I still have to cover it and clean it. Before he opened it I had small holes opening in the incision. If you have any extra belly that hangs it is just really hard to heal but it will heal. Mine is almost completely closed, it did take about 6 weeks before I could get up and down with out it being uncomfortable.

Sorry that was long! Good luck! Try not to get discouraged if you have to be induced or have a c section. I wanted a natural birth so I was traumatized by everything I went through! Lol but now it was just s way for me to hold my baby!!
    Courtney and Melissa
    TTC # 1 w/PCOS & Hypothyroid
    17 cycles finally BFP
    tt1c499a.aspx
  • Options
    2texasmoms2texasmoms Posts: 299 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was induced at 40 weeks 6 days as well...started with cervadil early morning upon being admitted, which got labor started. Got an epidural that night and then started Pitocin. Labored through the next morning and baby was born a little before 2pm. 29 hours of loooong labor but I delivered vaginally. He just did not want to come out on his own!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks so much for sharing everyone! I go in tomorrow (technically tonight...Sunday) evening to begin the induction process. I will be 41 weeks and 2 days Sunday. I have contractions mostly at night and morning and a little throughout the day. This has been the case for quite some time but still no cervical progress. Like I've mentioned, my other option would be to wait until Thursday when I am 41 weeks 6 days for a c section. They are very strict about the 42 week rule and I guess the schedule has to work for them too. This seems to be the best decision. If I end up a c section-then I do. My hope is that baby and mommy are healthy and safe. I trust my body and my dr so I feel pretty good going into it. I hope I am this confident throughout!

I've really gained a lot from reading through your experiences. Thank you!
    A couple of questions:
    When did they begin witholding food?
    When would u recommend getting an epidural?
    Ms. Magnolia
    HSG- June '14
  • Options
    K&HK&H Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes to the epidural, and H was never restricted from food, but anything she ate for the entire time she immediately threw up. So, you may not even want the food.

good luck!
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    michelle.malottmichelle.malott Posts: 107
    edited November -1
    Yes on the epidural! My doctor said the funniest thing when I said I wanted one, he said you wouldn't consider getting a root canal the 'natural' way without a nerve blocker, he didn't understand why so many women wanted to give birth without a nerve blocker. If I were you, I'd eat a nice meal before going in, you most likely will be too nerved up and then too busy with contractions to eat after that.
  • Options
    MNmommasMNmommas Posts: 1,081
    edited November -1
    he said you wouldn't consider getting a root canal the 'natural' way without a nerve blocker, he didn't understand why so many women wanted to give birth without a nerve blocker.

To be fair, I've never heard of root canal patients not wanting their movement restricted during their surgery. :) Not to mention the added risk of delivery complications and the potential to affect nursing and slow the recovery process. I say that as someone who LOVED her epidural, but in hindsight wonder if it contributed to the complications we experienced.
    Donor 7070, births 2012 & 2013
  • Options
    PatienceisavirtuePatienceisavirtue Posts: 777
    edited November -1
    Good luck!!! So excited for a new squish in the world!

On a side note- I probably would get an epi with pitocin. It's just unnatural pain and your body does not respond with adequate pain coping mechanisms.

But, to the root canal statement, I find it kind of funny because in my birth (I know it's not typical) but I did not feel any pain while pushing (it actually felt good/relieving to push) and I didn't have an epi or iv or anything. Even my contractions, while overwhelming, i did not experience them as pain. I didn't even know that i had a second degree tear until I was about to be stitched. I think a root canal is different though because your body is not producing the natural pain relieving hormones to guide you through the process. They are shocking your nerves without warning. I feel like its apples to oranges.

(errors becaue phone and I'm too lazy to fix them).
    TTC #1: 1-5 BFN; 6- BFP
    TTC #2: since June 2016...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sooooo change in plan! This morning I woke up to spots of blood. The past few days I've had more 'discharge' than normal and thought maybe it's my mucous plug but it wasn't blood tinged so I wasn't sure. Well, I guess it was my mucous plug after all. I called my dr to see if it was worthwhile to wait on the induction since I have until Friday to reach 42 weeks. He said that I should come in tomorrow for an exam and that waiting is totally reasonable. So excited for the opportunity to go about this naturally. So funny how these things work out or at least change at the last minute! We were all ready to spend the next 3 nights or so at a hospital but now I am sitting on my sofa totally relieved that I'm not being induced tonight! Still waiting
    Ms. Magnolia
    HSG- June '14
  • Options
    merilungmerilung Posts: 1,177
    edited November -1
    Yay, Magnolia323! Fingers crossed that you go into labor naturally like you want :)
    TTC since September 2007 - 8 donor insems in 2012, all BFN. DH had varicocele repair #2 1/3/14.
    It worked! Two clomid cycles and two IUI's with injectables all BFN, on to IVF! 3dt of 2 perfect embryos on 12/15/14, BFP 7dp3dt! Frederick Lars born at 37 weeks on 8/15/15!! FET for #2 on 9/29/16 - BFP 5dp5dt!! Bertram Wilder and Mabel Moon born at 28.4 weeks on 3/29/17!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you Merilung! We are really happy
    Ms. Magnolia
    HSG- June '14
  • Options
    2NewMoms2NewMoms Posts: 394
    edited November -1
    Good luck!! Hope everything goes smoothly and naturally :)
    GiRUm5.png
    BFP at IUI #18
    kkyvm4.png
  • Options
    blkbrd3blkbrd3 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sending you great labor and delivery vibes from Oregon.

I decided to get an epidural once I felt like I couldn't ride out the contractions any more.
  • Options
    aplusaaplusa Posts: 1,919
    edited November -1
    Great update!! Come on out, little one!!
    7NZpm4.png
    Lucky Cycle 14: IVF!! Antagonist Cycle with Lupron Trigger