Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Any CMV negative ladies on here?

mommies2mommies2 Posts: 29
edited November -1 in Trying to Conceive
Just found out that I am CMV negative and I will have to change from my first choice of donor :( The CMV negative donor choices are SUPER limited! looks like it will be down to 3243 or 9924 for me. Anyone used either of these and gotten a BFP?
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    diane&tammydiane&tammy Posts: 1,467
    edited November -1
    I am negative but my RE told me that the chances of contracting it are so minimal it shouldn't play such a big factor in choosing a donor. Also I had been doing insems at home with a CMV+ donor for about a year before I even got tested for it and I am still negative.
  • Options
    MNmommasMNmommas Posts: 1,081
    edited November -1
    Mommies2, you don't necessarily need to change donor. Here's what California Cryobank had to say about it:

If I am CMV antibody negative, what is my risk of acquiring a CMV infection from one of your sperm donors who is antibody positive for CMV?
    While we would never say the risk is zero, we believe that the risk is extremely low. Semen processing methods that remove white blood cells are thought to reduce that risk. In our opinion, any risk can be reduced by the use of IUI vials which are prepared by a density gradient method which removes nearly all white blood cells and seminal plasma. Based upon our experience and published literature, we do not believe that semen from a healthy donor who is antibody positive due to an old CMV infection poses any meaningful risk of transmitting CMV. This is, however, a medical issue that you should discuss with your physician.

So it looks like you could mitigate the already miniscule risk by using IUI vials (which can be used for IUI and ICI purposes). Also keep in mind that most people don't know their CMV status, as it's not commonly checked. I don't think DW or I have ever been tested. We used a CMV positive donor with no issues. The donors don't have an active infection, so there is little to no risk of being infected from use, plus if by some miracle you were infected, you would have mostly recovered before it posed a risk to the baby (recovery is around 2 weeks, and the embryo wouldn't have even implanted for a good week or so).
    Donor 7070, births 2012 & 2013
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you guys!

My dr did my first IUI last month with a donor who is positive because we hadn't received the results for my CMV blood work yet, so he said we could chance it. Just got a call from my nurse this morning saying I was negative so I should definitely choose a negative donor for this try.

I'm waiting on a call back to see if I'll be trying clomid this month, so I'll talk to them again and see if they will okay me using my same donor. Really seems like such a small chance, and if I was doing this "the old fashioned way" I know I wouldn't have gone to check my CMV status first lol.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just got the okay from my dr to keep the same donor! If he was okay with it from the beginning not sure why he even had me do the CMV test? I'll also be starting my first cycle on clomid, 50mg days 3-7.. hoping that's does the trick! I wasn't ovulating in the past, but I am now.. just later in my cycle (around CD20).
  • Options
    WannabeasinglemamaWannabeasinglemama Posts: 969
    edited November -1
    My doc said that they wouldn't be allowed to donate if they had an "active" episode. These donors are dormant. I'm negative, but my donor is positive.
    Nicole-SMBC-39y/o-TTC since Jan. 2013
    IUI~BFP (BORN STILL) AT 16w5d 4/3/14
    Chemicals~IUI 7/24/14;8/21;BFNs~9/25;10/19;IVF#1-2/21/15~No embies made to blast.
    IVF#2-BFP~4/16 trans. 2 embies
    MIdqadD.jpgMIdqm5.png
    mf0Km4.png
  • Options
    shauna2710shauna2710 Posts: 769 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My RE didn't care because you wouldn't know otherwise in traditional pregnancy.
    Cycle 6 was my lucky cycle! BFP!!!
    EDD 12/13/2013
    It's identical TWINS! They're GIRLS!
    7/20/2013 Sweet Baby A lost her battle with IUGR.
    8/26/2013 Feisty Baby B was born via emergency CSection 16 weeks premature