Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Board Magic

hortonhorton Posts: 67
edited November -1 in Parenting and Life
I'm just hoping for some good ol' forum magic here...

Judah pretty much hasn't eaten anything since Saturday. I know it's only Tuesday, but still, it's just not like him. He's a fairly picky eater, but he still loves food. I don't know what's up with him. He's turning down his favorites or asking for something and then just eating a bite or two. He doesn't seem to be sick, but there are always allergy issues to consider with him (long story, but he's working through a milk challenge right now. Nothing has changed with that and we've been doing it since March though, so I don't think suddenly that would cause him to reject ALL foods).

I'm not panicking or anything, but the kid will be 3 in September and he only weighs 27 pounds, so it's not like he can afford to lose weight! I'm sure this is a normal phase, but Willow never did anything like this, so I'm kinda at a loss... Hence the attempt at board magic turning this around tomorrow!

Comments

• Options
    K&HK&H Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is he stuffy and can't breathe when he chews? Will he try liquid food if so?

Poor little guy, I hope he feels better soon!
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    No, he doesn't have any signs of illness, really at all. He just isn't eating. He did a little better at breakfast today, and had a half a sun butter sandwich at lunch, which is good (but still much less food than he'd usually eat), but I think the main thing that concerns me a little is the fact that he seems to be excited about his food, but then after just a few bites he suddenly looks uncomfortable and says, "I'm done." Once yesterday he actually said, "It makes my tummy hurt", but usually he just refuses to eat any more. He also won't touch any fruits or vegetables, even his favorite things like applesauce or grapes. I just don't know. If I thought for sure that he was just going through a phase where he isn't very hungry, it wouldn't bother me too much, but it just seems like something is wrong when he puts down his food so suddenly. He's even rejected treats, which is unheard of. Our doctor isn't in on Wednesdays, but if he keeps this up, I'll call her tomorrow just to find out when I SHOULD become worried about this.
  • Options
    ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
    edited November -1
    Is he getting teeth in? Have you tried a smoothie?
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Laughing at the teeth question, only because you're one of the only people on here who knows that he just got a tooth OUT! But no, he's not teething (and I don't think he's having issues from the extraction because he ate perfectly normally from Tuesday through Saturday and everything actually looks really good in there).

Not sure about a smoothie. We aren't big smoothie people. I could try one, but I'd need to go get him some vegan products to go in it because I don't want to give him more dairy if that could be playing any kind of role in the change.
  • Options
    blkbrd3blkbrd3 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Did the board magic work?
  • Options
    TheOtherLovingMomsTheOtherLovingMoms Posts: 1,481 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just wanted to let you know my 5 year old granddaughter Destiny is the same way and has been since she was about his age. She very seldom eats more than a few bites at her meals and rarely snacks. Every once in awhile she will go through a phase and eat a whole sandwich or her entire meal. The dr said as long as she isn't losing weight and shows a weight gain at each appt and has plenty of energy, which she has and does, then she's not worried. Good luck and I hope this is just a phase ith him.
    IGXwm4.png
    I just turned 50 and fabulous!!! Enjoying life with my amazing family!!
    Mom to Rachel 33, Bethany 30, Rebekah 30, Zachrey 20 and several angel babies
    Grandma to Larissa 11, Brittney 11, Trevor 11, Destiny 7, Jayvin 6, Jackxon 3, Kaleb Joshua Rian 1. Grandbaby #8, Sariah Grace born 11-17-16
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks everyone!

Board magic worked a little bit, but not to the extent I'd hoped. He did eat a little more today and even ate some strawberries tonight, so that's good, and I'm pleased that he never had any weird moments of seeming to be uncomfortable or in pain today, so that's good too. Hopefully he keeps improving and is back to his USUAL level of pickiness!
  • Options
    old mamaold mama Posts: 4,682
    edited November -1
    My 9 yr old son has been the same way all his life...a couple bites here and there...he is thin but age appr. height. He is super picky. He does have allergies and asthma that is under control. He has lots of energy. I guess if he doesn't act sick just keep offering even if he only eats a small amts.
  • Options
    ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
    edited November -1
    I knew enough time had passed since the extraction that it wouldn't be related. But are you sure he has no teeth coming in - like crank out the flashlight and feel around? This has happened to me more than once.

On the smoothie - no need for dairy at all. Just fruits and veggies. I have tons of recipes if you are interested (and google is obviously limitless in this!) but really just about any fruit and most veggies are awesome in smoothies. No red peppers I found out the hard way!
    image_zps64579b54.png