Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

BIG moment in the life of a donor conceived child!

ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
edited November -1 in Parenting and Life
So this morning Kate asked, for the first time ever, to look at her donors profile. I've offered a few times in the last year or so when it came up but she was never interested. This morning while we were cuddling I said "4949 and I sure made a beautiful baby". That led to a conversation and when I asked if she wanted to see it she said a very enthusiastic yes. It was definitely enough for today but I can see that as she gets older the lack of any real information will become more obvious. We talked about the possibility of her meeting him when she turns 18 and possibly meeting some of her 10 donor siblings someday. The whole thing went really well until it ended with her just begging for a Dad. That kind of sucked.
image_zps64579b54.png

Comments

• Options
    old mamaold mama Posts: 4,682
    edited November -1
    I haven't been successful with a sperm donor conceived child yet but I too have always been willing to share with my child when they asked but I have raised a huge household of adopted children who grew up without a father in the home. Most have this ideal dad in their heads. A couple lately have made contact with birthfathers..both kind of a disaster but it sure takes away the unrealistic ideas they have what life would have been like with a dad by their side. I think it is wonderful you are so open with Kate. No matter how diplomatic we have to be age appropriate I do think it is important that kids know the truth. Even if their main reason of donating was to buy textbooks or go on spring break!
  • Options
    ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
    edited November -1
    Oh yes when she lists the reasons she wants a Dad it is very idealistic. Can't quite blame her though since she has no reality to base it on!
    image_zps64579b54.png