Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

OT: Rosetta Stone

ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
edited November -1 in Parenting and Life
Anyone used it? Love it? hate it? Worth it?
image_zps64579b54.png

Comments

• Options
    RedHeatherRedHeather Posts: 600 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used it for Arabic before taking an Arabic course in Morocco. I did well enough on my placement test to skip the absolute beginner level of the course, so I took that as a sign that the Rosetta Stone program was reasonably good. I haven't stuck with it, though, and now I'm thinking of starting over from the beginning if my motivation ever comes back.

Arabic is HARD because of the completely different alphabet, though. The reading and "writing" (typing) sections kicked my butt. It should be easier to progress in a language that uses the Western alphabet. I did also notice that the speech recognition didn't seem great. Sometimes I'd say something totally wrong and it would count it as right ... other times, I felt I was saying it correctly and it would count it as wrong. I didn't take advantage of the tutoring option, though -- that would probably help some with learning proper pronunciation.
  • Options
    b&kmakebabiesb&kmakebabies Posts: 818
    edited November -1
    I don't have the program, but if you download the Cartwheel app from Target on your phone they have 50% off if you buy the program in stores through August 1.
    Cnc9m5.png

TTC from 06/2015...Baby M born 11/24/16!
  • Options
    b&kmakebabiesb&kmakebabies Posts: 818
    edited November -1
    You get an addition 5% off if you have or open a red card. It's not a credit card. It sounds like I work for Target, but I don't! Haha.
    Cnc9m5.png

TTC from 06/2015...Baby M born 11/24/16!
  • Options
    babybabybabybaby Posts: 1,564
    edited November -1
    i have no experience with it, but it's exciting to learn a new language! which one are you tackling?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Wow, Arabic. Yes, I can imagine that would be really difficult.

I (really We) are going to start learning Spanish. Kate will take enrichment at her school next year but just a couple hours a week. And actually they will do 1/2 the year mandarin and 1/2 Spanish. I think this is a stupid idea but hopefully she only goes there one year before I open the English/Spanish immersion school. We started with the duolingo app and that's been good but I'd like more (truth be told I wish we could pick up and move to a Spanish speaking country and be immersed in it 24/7!)

I feel pretty brave trying to learn a new language at 43 but hopefully my brain will take the information :)

I'll check out the Target app, thanks.
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The good thing with Spanish is that you can easily find media in Spanish (books, tv channels, music, etc.) to help broaden your exposure. There are definitely regional variations in language, but I think Spanish is more like English in that speakers can generally understand eachother even if they have different accents/dialects.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    As I was debating this I just got word from Kate's new school that she will spend the first semester learning Mandarin and the second Spanish (don't get me started on if I think this is a good idea at all). SO, does anyone with an language learning background have an opinion whether I should hold off on starting Spanish for now until she is done with the semester of Mandarin or just continue on as we have been - starting to dabble in Spanish and then ramping it up after the winter break when she switches to Spanish at school?
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I would think it's okay to continue with the Spanish at home, given her age and the fact that the two languages are so drastically different from one another.
  • Options
    hortonhorton Posts: 67
    edited November -1
    For what it's worth, the school that my work kids attend had mandatory Mandarin and Spanish all year (both languages) from preschool through 6th grade. In middle school kids can drop one if they choose. The 3 who are in school have never had a problem with learning all of them at once.
  • Options
    2texasmoms2texasmoms Posts: 299 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I taught in Texas we had a lot of ESL students and actually purchased the English program for them to use. It was a huge success...kids who barely spoke English when I taught them now speak without an accent just 5 years later!