Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Tablet Questions (again)

ZenZen Posts: 2,942
edited November -1 in Parenting and Life
Last year I weighed the costs and pros and cons of a Kindle vs iPad or other tablet for my [then] 6 year old. The Kindle came out ahead and she was very happy with it. Until the screen cracked. I called for repair options and found there are none because the glass is fused.

So now I'm back to square one. The iPad Mini is looking better because they make screen protectors in addition to protective cases. So now the question becomes, what makes the iPad so much better than other tablets 1/4 of the price? And are there parental controls to limit internet use, downloading, and purchases?
AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png

Comments

• Options
    ljimpey86ljimpey86 Posts: 387
    edited November -1
    I like the fact that you can literally get ANY accessories for the iPad, since it is so popular. If you end up going with an iPad you should get a lifeproof case. The cases come with a warranty, where if your iPad breaks they will replace it. I have never tired out the warranty, but they seem to think there cases are good enough to protect it.
    Wife to DH with hypopitutarism and azoospermia
    TTC~
    Try #1 ICI 8/15 -BFN
    Try #2 ICI & IUI 9/15 -BFP!

Abbigail Helen born 6/5/2016 7lb6oz
  • Options
    TheOtherLovingMomsTheOtherLovingMoms Posts: 1,481 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    ljimpey86 wrote:
    I like the fact that you can literally get ANY accessories for the iPad, since it is so popular. If you end up going with an iPad you should get a lifeproof case. The cases come with a warranty, where if your iPad breaks they will replace it. I have never tired out the warranty, but they seem to think there cases are good enough to protect it.

Just an FYI, if the iPad breaks they will NOT replace it, been there done that.
    IGXwm4.png
    I just turned 50 and fabulous!!! Enjoying life with my amazing family!!
    Mom to Rachel 33, Bethany 30, Rebekah 30, Zachrey 20 and several angel babies
    Grandma to Larissa 11, Brittney 11, Trevor 11, Destiny 7, Jayvin 6, Jackxon 3, Kaleb Joshua Rian 1. Grandbaby #8, Sariah Grace born 11-17-16
  • Options
    ljimpey86ljimpey86 Posts: 387
    edited November -1
    Wow! I have never tried to replace my iPad.... But that's sad to say that they do not stand behind their products and their warranty.
    Wife to DH with hypopitutarism and azoospermia
    TTC~
    Try #1 ICI 8/15 -BFN
    Try #2 ICI & IUI 9/15 -BFP!

Abbigail Helen born 6/5/2016 7lb6oz
  • Options
    2moms_somewhere2moms_somewhere Posts: 305
    edited November -1
    ljimpey86 wrote:

If you have Applecare they will replace it. I've had mine replaced twice. I've also had a laptop and iPhone replaced. They do stand behind their products but you do need to get apple care. They will try to fix it first, if they can't, they replace it. I will never buy an Apple product without Applecare again.

http://www.apple.com/support/products/faqs.html
  • Options
    KariKari Posts: 1,765
    edited November -1
    I bought Juliet a cheap tablet for Christmas because I figured she'd eventually break it anyway. The #1 thing I dislike about it is the battery life. I think I have to charge that battery for 2-4 hours so she can play with it for 1 hour. Seriously a waste of money because the battery is never charged!

I use iPads at work (I'm a computer teacher) and like the fact that so many apps are specifically designed for iPads. There's a much smaller choice with Android apps.

Now, one drawback I find with iPads is that they have very little memory and the apps eat it up quickly. I'm always playing a balancing game of deleting 5 apps so I have enough memory to do a photography project, which then uses up the rest of the memory and I have to delete all the photos or delete a few more apps. My school's iPads are iPad 2's and came with 13 GB usable memory. Every time there's an update, you need about 1 GB free to download the latest updated OS before it can delete the old one.

Speaking of updates, that's another issue I have with iPads. I've used iPads for four years and we've gone from iOS 4 to iOS 8. Apple didn't allow the iPad 1's to update after iOS 5.1, and newer apps won't run on that OS. They're constantly reinventing themselves (think about the iPhone), changing the cables, and making the apps only compatible with the latest operating systems. Annoying. Meanwhile, my Kindle Fire has run perfectly on its original software and it's about 4 years old.
    100_4667_zpspk4wwxj5.jpg
    r9vOm4.png
    Ri4Gm4.png
  • Options
    TheOtherLovingMomsTheOtherLovingMoms Posts: 1,481 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    ljimpey86 wrote:

If you have Applecare they will replace it. I've had mine replaced twice. I've also had a laptop and iPhone replaced. They do stand behind their products but you do need to get apple care. They will try to fix it first, if they can't, they replace it. I will never buy an Apple product without Applecare again.

I'm talking about the warranty through life proof with the life proof case. They will replace the case but not the iPad. Yes Apple will replace it if you have apple care. Sorry about the confusion.
    http://www.apple.com/support/products/faqs.html
    IGXwm4.png
    I just turned 50 and fabulous!!! Enjoying life with my amazing family!!
    Mom to Rachel 33, Bethany 30, Rebekah 30, Zachrey 20 and several angel babies
    Grandma to Larissa 11, Brittney 11, Trevor 11, Destiny 7, Jayvin 6, Jackxon 3, Kaleb Joshua Rian 1. Grandbaby #8, Sariah Grace born 11-17-16
  • Options
    ZenZen Posts: 2,942
    edited November -1
    Bit the bullet and bought the iPad Mini 2. Could not find anything in writing on the Lifeproof sites showing iPad replacement. Checked out Nuud and Fre but could not find in pink or purple. So I ultimately went with the Otterbox Defender in pink. Keeping fingers crossed!
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png
  • Options
    ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
    edited November -1
    Kari - a device that your child can only use for an hour before it dies sounds like a perfect solution to me! (except when traveling as that is the only time she has it for extended periods without being able to charge).
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • Options
    KariKari Posts: 1,765
    edited November -1
    Shanny, it would be if I remembered to actually plug it in! I teach computer classes and do not understand why there isn't a setting that turns the iPad off after a set number of minutes of activity. I have so many students who can't disconnect at the end of class, and I'd love to see that device just shut off on them - perhaps at the sound of my bell.
    100_4667_zpspk4wwxj5.jpg
    r9vOm4.png
    Ri4Gm4.png
  • Options
    ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
    edited November -1
    Sounds like you have a great idea! Maybe you should develop an app that parents can download that would make the device turn off after a certain amount of time???
    image_zps64579b54.png