Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Car Seats

roses25roses25 Posts: 567
edited November -1 in Parenting and Life
Does anyone have any tips for flying with 2 kids in carseats? We've decided to fly instead of drive, and I've never flown with 2 kids before. We don't need the carseats in the plane, but once we arrive at our destination for the rental car. Is it easier to rent carseats through the rental car place? We own all diono radian carseats which I really would hate to bring due to the heaviness of them. We have one of the cheap Costco convertible car seats for $40.

Carolyn
EBD822A6-1848-4872-A55B-C1ED22646371_zpsufz2fxda.jpeg
schm94df60emqyke.png
lazxi8i3cso8qa7m.png
lfngmjscscvr4zbw.png

Comments

• Options
    michgirlmichgirl Posts: 406 ✭✭
    edited October 2015
    I would get a second cheap one and use it on the plane and then use it in the rental car. You shouldn't check your car seat with the luggage and you don't know the history of the rental seats.
    f1xTJgw.jpgf1xTm5.png
  • Options
    ZenZen Posts: 2,942
    edited November -1
    The car rental places will supply a car seat for you upon request but they charge as much as $50 or $60 each. Depending on your ability to travel with one, it is much less expensive to buy a preowned car seat and bring it on the plane or purchase very inexpensive ones and then just leave them with the car upon return.

The car seat installed in my car is an expensive top line model. I never travel with it on a plane because it is very heavy and just not convenient. Online I get a lot of flack for thinking less of my daughter's welfare when I am traveling then when I am home. After all, you cannot plan for when accidents will happen. Off-line however, I get the same flack from friends who think it is crazy that I have my seven-year-old in a car seat! You just have to do what you think is best for you and your children.
    AfUDuhU.jpgAfUDm4.png
  • Options
    old mamaold mama Posts: 4,682
    edited November -1
    Going through an airport and loading with 2 small children and two large carseats...ugh...I'd probably turn around and home instead. I'd avoid the stress and give the car rental what they charge. Make your trip stress free as possible. I hope you have a great time.
  • Options
    ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
    edited November -1
    Unless A can help carry a seat (plus whatever else you need him to help with) you will be hard pressed to get 2 seats on a plane by yourself. We have the roller to get it through the airport (gogo babyz) but once we get on a plane they will not let you roll it (nor does it fit down the isle of most planes) so you essentially have to lift it over your head so you don't kill someone already seated. This is super fun with any car seat and I only have 1 and a 6 year old who can pretty much carry everything else we need. the looks are priceless as well.

I don't check car seats and I don't use rental car seats that give me the heebie jeebies and I have no clue what I am going to get when I get there both in terms of functionality and safety.

My friend decided to get a "cheap" seat for her recent trip and ended up in tears trying to install the cheap seat in the rental car. She ended up with her 2 year old forward facing which she isn't comfortable with because it was such a nightmare.

Clearly I have no advice. Are you sure driving isn't the way to go?
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • Options
    roses25roses25 Posts: 567
    edited November -1
    Ya, I'm thinking driving is out because no matter what we'd have to drive through the rocky mountains. Just because it's nice here doesn't mean driving through the rock mountains in December would be any fun.
    EBD822A6-1848-4872-A55B-C1ED22646371_zpsufz2fxda.jpeg
    schm94df60emqyke.png
    lazxi8i3cso8qa7m.png
    lfngmjscscvr4zbw.png
  • Options
    MNmommasMNmommas Posts: 1,081
    edited November -1
    If I were traveling as solo parent with 2 kids ages 6 1/2 years and 3 years, I'd do an inexpensive backless booster for Aiden that he could carry himself (or see what the $ is to rent a booster from the car rental), and whatever inexpensive carseat is the easiest to get a safe install with for Addison. Then at least you only have to carry one seat through the plane?

I wouldn't bring our regular carseats, because I prefer to keep them installed and also because I'd be paranoid that they'd get damaged/lost.
    Donor 7070, births 2012 & 2013
  • Options
    gprime11gprime11 Posts: 228
    edited November -1
    Depending on where you are going, there are some baby equipment rental places that I would trust over the car rental company. I had to fly for a family emergency and had to rent a carseat from the car rental place when Q was about 5 months old. I was supposed to be getting on e from a family member, wo didn't ever show up. It was a nightmare. They had an infant seat, but it didn't have the right support in it, so his head was all over the place. Not really an issue with your bigger kids though. The seat was a graco, but the model was some wierd generic thing they make only for rental car companies, so I couldn't google install instructions. The rental company did not have anyone that could help. Luckily I am pretty good with seats and figured it out, but if it was DW trying to do it, they would have been stuck at the airport, her in tears. The baby equipment rental place in Maui had EVERYTHING! and delivered the carseat for my SIL to the airport so she was ready to go. They had a number of seat options to choose from and the models were actual seats you could google.