Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Sensory Processing-School Accomodations

roses25roses25 Posts: 567
edited November -1 in Parenting and Life
Hi Everyone,

Aiden had a special ed evaluation done by a school psychologist last April. We received the results back in May, but they are finally getting around to completing the MDT & IEP. I think they got by taking so long because of a sensory eval that was done at the beg. of the year, but we talked about it last May.

He qualifies for special education services under Autism and the school is going to offer him speech/language services for pragmatic language skills. OT services and/or sensory accommodations could be made as a related service even if he doesn't qualify for OT. The teachers completed a sensory profile. He came out as probably difference in the areas of tactile/touch, auditory, and social participation. So not typical performance, but not definite difference.

Not only do I work in my child's school, but I also work in the special ed department. So it's a tricky situation to be in. Our meeting isn't for a few more weeks, but being that I work there I've heard a lot and know what's going on with my child's rough draft IEP. The special ed director doesn't feel that my son needs OT pull out or even sensory accommodations. I feel that he does because I feel that he holds it in at school all day long and then is a meltdown mess at home after school. But of course they are going to say that it doesn't affect him at home (pretty much who care how he acts at home because he's perfect here at school).

The classroom teacher states that he follows directions, talks to the other kids, is starting to do too much talking occasionally, and participates in large group discussions. Last year's teacher when we begun this process would state he follows directions, he exhibits anxiety in situations, doesn't participate in large group discussions, prefers only a few kids, and not others. She was really tuned into all kids though. This year's teacher has a tough time dealing with the disruptive kids that I could see my kid really being withdrawn during large group time and going unnoticed. I'm not in his classroom much this year, so I'm not sure how he's actually doing in terms of this.

If we don't pull him for OT services (which would be great to pull him for but really pulling him once a week may not be that beneficial to tell you the truth) I'd really like to see some sensory accommodations in there such as brushing, compression vest, or something to help him. But I have a feeling it's going to be a fight.

His only accommodation is visually presented schedules, rules, and written reminders. I know there's a lot of people dealing with sensory here.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can convince them that some sensory accommodations are needed?
EBD822A6-1848-4872-A55B-C1ED22646371_zpsufz2fxda.jpeg
schm94df60emqyke.png
lazxi8i3cso8qa7m.png
lfngmjscscvr4zbw.png

Comments

• Options
    MareMare Posts: 193
    edited November -1
    I'm a special education teacher and only a couple of my students actually qualify for OT pull out services. That doesn't mean that I don't have sensory accommodations for my students who don't qualify for OT services. All my students have access to hand fidgets, weighted lap covers/vests, alternative seating such as hoki stools, seat cushions, sound blocking headphones, kneeler chairs, and movement breaks through out the day. I'm lucky as I work in a school where the PTA understands the value for sensory accommodations for all students.

If the team decides your son doesn't qualify for OT services you can ask about basic accommodations that can be made within in the classroom. You can also ask for OT consult services (he wouldn't be pulled out) to help the teacher with simple accommodations that could help your son.
    SMBC to a fun, outgoing, crazy big 7 year old boy
    TTC#2
    August 2015: BFP!!!

tt1ca64f.aspx
  • Options
    old mamaold mama Posts: 4,682
    edited October 2015
    Man was I in your boat years back about being in the sped department and my daughter's needs not being met by other staff. In fact the district fighting accommodations that outside evaluations recommended. It's a tough place to be. I agree that a having OT as a consult instead of a pull out might meet your son's needs but I would stand my ground on sensory recommendations and make sure they follow through. My son is 10 yrs old and I just had to pull him out of school to homeschool for some of the same reasons. That stress built up during the day and violent outbursts at home. He was overlooked in the classroom because he was so scared to talk. It made me mad when he told me the teacher called on him and didn't allow him time to respond. I feel for you I really do. These problems aren't ones that are visible and evident like needing a wheelchair or being blind. It's hard for others who haven't had to deal with problems at a personal level to understand. P.S. I am shocked to read how long they are taking to have a MTD/IEP. You might look into your state's rules about that I am pretty sure in my state it says they only have 30 school days from the time the paperwork for permission to test was signed to a MDT.
  • Options
    KariKari Posts: 1,765
    edited November -1
    Well, this probably isn't going to help much, but my friend Rachel went into her son's IEP meeting a few weeks ago and after things started not going the way she wanted asked, "So exactly who do I have to f%^&* to get more OT services for my son?" Seriously, she did. (Thankfully that's just her pushy personality and everyone laughed and kept going.)

I would definitely push for some classroom accommodations such as the fidget toys and a weighted lap blanket at the very least. I offer fidget toys to all my students during instructional times and they definitely use them (1st-5th). There are some good ones at Dollar Tree, so you don't have to break the bank for them. I would also recommend requesting that recess never be withheld as a punishment because the kids who most need to move are often the ones who wind up inside during recess because they owe work or were disruptive in class. And you might also want to include that consideration for SPD needs be taken into consideration when he's being placed in a classroom so he gets the teachers who are more accommodating.
    100_4667_zpspk4wwxj5.jpg
    r9vOm4.png
    Ri4Gm4.png