Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

high blood pressure and finance question

F2M n SpouseF2M n Spouse Posts: 1,021 ✭✭
edited November -1 in Trying to Conceive
We are seeing Dr. John Randolph at UofM in January but I don't want to potentially have any delays and I just thought about me being on my blood pressure medication.

I'm currently on Metoprolol er Succinate I beIieve 25mg which is the lowest dose. It's "Category C" meaning no evidence that it's good or bad during pregnnacy.

I really don't want to show up to my fertility appt and be told I have to completely switch medications before I can try. Do any of you take high blood pressure medication that you were able to take while pregnant? If so, what was it? Did any of you have high blood pressure and still allowed to do fertility treatments without being on medication for it? I want to be on top of things so when we show up hopefully we get the clear to start ASAP!

My next question. I'm not looking for any drama out of this question and I know when it comes to finances everyone's situation is different. Some live month to month for TTCING and others have money saved. I'm just trying to get a general idea of how much money a cycle cost out of pocket. My insurance does not cover anything related to fertility but the nice thing is we get a 40% discount if paying cash.

Prices UofM gave me
Consult: $350-$650
IUI: $500-600
Professional fee: $275

Those were the only prices they gave me over the phone. I'm just hoping I have enough saved for maybe 2 cycles and then continue saving while we are trying in the meantime.
rs4mis.jpg
28i0tph.jpg

Comments

• Options
    ahk00ahk00 Posts: 1,420
    edited November -1
    The cost for me OOP is 616 for iui, 250 for US for folicle check and I get my Ovidrel there as well for 125. If I need additional follicle check before iui it is 150 (that's only happened once). My insurance covered both HSG's. Good luck.
    SMBC: TTC since 12/2014: 3 home attempts: 2 BFN & 1 chemical. 3 medicated Dr assisted IUI's: 2 BFN & 1 BFP (04/24/15) with twins in May (new donor) MC with D&C @ 9w. 4th IUI 09/17/15: BFN. 10/15: hsg good. 11/15: BFN. 01/16: BFN. 05/16: Embryos arrested. IVF failed 06/16: KD BFN 07/16: KD BFN 09/16: IUI #7 with donor sperm BFP-MC at 9w w/ D&C. 02/17: diagnosed with hetero compound MTHFR & clotting mutation. 03/09/17 IUI #8: chemical pregnancy. IUI #9: 04/19/17 BFN LOOKING FOR EMBRYO'S TO ADOPT
  • Options
    katookatoo Posts: 324
    edited November -1
    I was put on metoprolol because it was safe for "women of child bearing age". When I moved, my new GP switched me to a similar drug--labetalol--because it is category B. My RE didn't care that I had hypertension or was pre-diabetic because both issues were under good control. Our RE does package pricing. I think it was $1,800 for a medicated cycle with ultrasound monitoring and a trigger.
  • Options
    Mommy2016Mommy2016 Posts: 1,037
    edited November -1
    I take metoprolol 100mg, twice a day. They did not take me off of it in order to TTC. In fact, they said it was perfectly fine and I should use it regularly to keep my blood pressure down. The day of my RE appointment I was super nervous and my blood pressure was ridiculously high when I got there. They said it was normal for most people. After the appointment they took it again and it had come down so they weren't concerned.

My RE does package pricing as well. It is $1750 for a medicated IUI.

Good luck!
    Luca Gabriel was born 10/25/17 at 34 weeks, due to PROM. He's healthy and perfect! I'm in love!
    5/2015-BFN 6/2015-Chemical 8/2015-BFN 10/2015-BFN 12/2015-BFP (miscarriage)
    2/2016-BFN 4/2016-BFN 7/2016-BFN 10/2016-BFN 11/2016-BFN 12/2016-BFN 3/2017-BFP!!!
    IXn6m5.png
  • Options
    diane&tammydiane&tammy Posts: 1,467
    edited November -1
    I don't have any advice on the blood pressure meds but my RE costs were:
    Initial Consult: $150
    IUI: $795
    Trigger shot with insurance: $165
    Progesterone with insurance: $175
    Total: $1285
  • Options
    New-mama?New-mama? Posts: 593
    edited November -1
    Labetolol is what I see people out on when they developed bp issues in pregnancy
    TTC attempt 1: ICI Dec 2015 BFN/Attempt 2-3 IUI Jan&April 2016 BFN/Attempt 4: 1ICI 1 IUI May 2016 BFN/Attempt 5-7: ICI-June, Sept, Nov 2016 BFN/Attempt 8-9 iui April 2017 BFN.
    May 2017 IUI BFP!!!!
    pregnant-1494046800z5z1495083600z1.png
    tt1d86de
  • Options
    F2M n SpouseF2M n Spouse Posts: 1,021 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    @Katoo
    When the doctor switched the blood pressure medication did he/she have you wait any period of time to get the old drug out of your system?

I called UofM today to see if they had any "package" deals and they wouldn't give me any information. Said I would have to wait and see what the doctors protocol is. I simply explained I'm trying to get a rough idea if we even have enough money saved for this since it is all out of pocket and still nothing. So i guess I have to wait and see.

Thank you everyone for your responses.
    rs4mis.jpg
    28i0tph.jpg
  • Options
    b&kmakebabiesb&kmakebabies Posts: 818
    edited November -1
    My insurance covers nothing...$325 for a consult. $110 for each office visit which includes an ultrasound (so any mid cycle scans would be this amount). $125 on top of the $110 for the IUI. I had to pay for the HSG out of pocket, which was about $750. Meds have been $30 for Clomid, $7 for Femara, $40 for progesterone, and $100 for trigger shot from Freedom Pharmacy.

Each cycle is about $800ish with the price of sperm (we only do one insem with one vial).
    Cnc9m5.png

TTC from 06/2015...Baby M born 11/24/16!
  • Options
    katookatoo Posts: 324
    edited November -1
    They're similar drugs, so no, I just switched over. I had to go in for a couple of bp checks to make sure the dosing was correct. If they do switch you to labetalol, just a heads up that there is this a really weird side effect that some people experience--scalp tingling. I thought I was going nuts when it first happened. It's not uncomfortable, just really, really odd.