Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Christmas gift for single parent from child idea

roses25roses25 Posts: 567
edited November -1 in Parenting and Life
Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to share a tradition I've started with my children that took until my oldest was about 5 to figure out. We don't live near family members, so my children aren't able to consistently go shopping with someone to get a Christmas gift for me. We also live over an hour from a Wal-Mart and most other shopping stores, so it's not always easy to have someone here take them Christmas shopping either. I thought there might be some other single parents here that are looking for a way to give their younger children a chance to give their parent a Christmas gift.

I bought something I would like as a gift, put it in a box, and put mailing labels addressed to my children on it to make it look like it came from Santa Claus at the North Pole. Then I put a letter in the box giving directions to my children. Their sitter in the past has helped them read the letter and wrap the gift. Now that we have an elf on the shelf, I sat our elf by the box with the gift in it, with wrapping paper, tape, and a letter from Santa explaining the gift that our elf brought back. My son now is a good enough reader that he should be able to read the letter to his sister and him plus wrap the present. I've done this for 2-3 years now, and it seems to work well.

Carolyn
EBD822A6-1848-4872-A55B-C1ED22646371_zpsufz2fxda.jpeg
schm94df60emqyke.png
lazxi8i3cso8qa7m.png
lfngmjscscvr4zbw.png

Comments

• Options
    ahk00ahk00 Posts: 1,420
    edited November -1
    I love this idea. My son is 11 and he is so worried about me not getting any presents under the tree. We don't live far from my parents but I am not sure if he asked them to take him shopping like he did last year. He bought me one gift and refused to open his gifts until I opened mine. It melted my heart. Merry Christmas
    SMBC: TTC since 12/2014: 3 home attempts: 2 BFN & 1 chemical. 3 medicated Dr assisted IUI's: 2 BFN & 1 BFP (04/24/15) with twins in May (new donor) MC with D&C @ 9w. 4th IUI 09/17/15: BFN. 10/15: hsg good. 11/15: BFN. 01/16: BFN. 05/16: Embryos arrested. IVF failed 06/16: KD BFN 07/16: KD BFN 09/16: IUI #7 with donor sperm BFP-MC at 9w w/ D&C. 02/17: diagnosed with hetero compound MTHFR & clotting mutation. 03/09/17 IUI #8: chemical pregnancy. IUI #9: 04/19/17 BFN LOOKING FOR EMBRYO'S TO ADOPT
  • Options
    FutureSMBCFutureSMBC Posts: 1,018
    edited November -1
    That's beautiful! I love the "magic" behind it.
    tt1d429d
    TTC since March 2015: 5 ICIs & 5 IUIs -all BFN
    July 2016- IVF w/BC/Lupron/Gonal-f/Ovidrel - converted to IUI- BFN
    Sept 2016-IVF w/BC/Lupron/Gonal-f/Ovidrel- Two 3d ET- BFP @ 9dp3dt, Beta#1: 209 @ 12dp3dt, #2: 782 @ 15dp3dt - EDD 6/3/17 - It's a Boy!
  • Options
    blkbrd3blkbrd3 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's a lovely idea. Thank you for sharing it with us.
  • Options
    KariKari Posts: 1,765
    edited November -1
    Good idea. Santa brings my kids 3 gifts each, and I've always had him bring me 3 as well. This year was the first year that Justin was very concerned that my only gift might be the one he'd made at daycare for me. I reassured him that Santa wouldn't forget me, but I think next year he'd like to actually choose something for me as well. This year I started having him get Juliet a gift, and Juliet get him a gift. To make this easier, I asked for suggestions and then went shopping while they were both in daycare. Next year I may have him go shopping with me and choose a surprise for Juliet and me that's just from him.
    100_4667_zpspk4wwxj5.jpg
    r9vOm4.png
    Ri4Gm4.png