Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Large Bone Structure

bbmaybbbmayb Posts: 6
edited November -1 in Pregnancy and Babies
Large Bone Structure. Is anyone else scared of this? I don't want to set my child up to become a fatty. I'm no size 2, so I fear that chubby plus chubby would just equal chubby.

Comments

• Options
    RedHeatherRedHeather Posts: 600 ✭✭
    edited December 2015
    I have a small build and the donor's profile lists his bone structure as large. My daughter has large hands and feet, and is 80th percentile for length, but she's only 40th percentile for weight, so it seems she'll be tall but slim (so pretty much the perfect body type for American culture). I like to joke that she'll probably be able to wear my shoes by the time she's in 2nd grade (I wear size 5 1/2 shoes). Large bone structure doesn't equal chubby. It's very possible to be underweight and have a large bone structure, but girls can have a hard time understanding that, especially when they get to the age where they start comparing their weight to others. Boys generally see large bone structure as a good thing, though, especially if they are athletic.

ETA: And, for what it's worth, small bone structure doesn't equal not chubby. I was very skinny as a young child, but I hit puberty early and have been overweight or obese pretty much ever since (minus a couple years as a teen when I was bordering on anorexic).
  • Options
    hoping4number2hoping4number2 Posts: 321
    edited December 2015
    I think my donor is listed as "medium" bone structure, however, I have a "large" bone structure, but not a large body. Does that make sense? Basically, I come from a fairly large family on my dad's side - wide hips, broad shoulders.... but as long as I eat right and exercise, I stay well within my normal BMI. (I've even had doctors look at x-rays and tell me I have a "very large bone structure" ....gee, thanks doc! - - but if you look at my signature photo, I'm the one in the light blue shirt. I mean, I'm not "thin" but I'm not heavy, so bone structure is irrelevant in my opinion). Now, I always pack on some weight while pregnant, but other than that.... I'm just not "naturally thin" more like "healthy body structure, but can't ever be 'thin'". Does that make sense? I think you will be fine! Honestly, I know lots of petite people who have become overweight. And really.... weight is just a number. Teaching your child healthy foods and healthy lifestyle habits will go a long way, regardless of his/her physical size. I know plenty of very unhealthy sedentary slim people, and lots of people who go out running with me on the trails and run 5Ks who are technically overweight but in excellent shape!
    16bdg7b.jpg
    Baby #1: April 2011 TTC #2 since 2014 Attempt #10 = BFP! Baby arrived January 2016
  • Options
    RedHeatherRedHeather Posts: 600 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good point about thin vs healthy. My ex-husband's brother, who has always been very thin, recently had a heart attack in his mid-30's.
  • Options
    blkbrd3blkbrd3 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Large bone structure does not equal fat or overweight. It does not imply fat or overweight. It is a way to divide people who are the same size into different categories. My mother's wrist measurement is a little over six inches and she's 5'3". That puts her in the small to medium category. I'm 5'6" and my wrist measures over 7 inches. That puts me in the large frame category.
  • Options
    bbmaybbbmayb Posts: 6
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the replies! We have decided to go with the large bone structure donor. I know my fear seemed silly now. Choosing a donor is stressful!