Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

How long DoesThawed Sperm lives?

kerrionchristopherkerrionchristopher Posts: 23
edited November -1 in Trying to Conceive
Hey guys, i was reading on line and i saw that frozen sperm only lives for 12-24 hours after been thawed, does any one know if that's true or not. If that's the case maybe that's why we are not getting pregnant, not because its us but because the sperm don't live long long enough.

Comments

• Options
    OkayBabyOkayBaby Posts: 503 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It takes a few hours to travel to the egg as well.. that's why timing is so important.
  • Options
    2texasmoms2texasmoms Posts: 299 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Timing is super important. 12-24 is the standard for ICI specimens. IUI don't live as long...more like 6-12. But if you do an IUI insemination, then they are placed much closer to the egg than in an ICI, so they don't need to live as long.

But timing and being able to pinpoint ovulation is very important because of the shortened life span of thawed sperm.
  • Options
    Mommy2016Mommy2016 Posts: 1,037
    edited November -1
    At the RE's office yesterday, they were telling me that it can live inside you for 5 days. I argued that I know that is not true with frozen sperm, but they swear that when IUI is involved there is still the opportunity for it to last that long. That was off-putting to me, because I feel like they should know what they are talking about and I think they are wrong about this one. :(
    Luca Gabriel was born 10/25/17 at 34 weeks, due to PROM. He's healthy and perfect! I'm in love!
    5/2015-BFN 6/2015-Chemical 8/2015-BFN 10/2015-BFN 12/2015-BFP (miscarriage)
    2/2016-BFN 4/2016-BFN 7/2016-BFN 10/2016-BFN 11/2016-BFN 12/2016-BFN 3/2017-BFP!!!
    IXn6m5.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Oh my. I've heard a few claims longer than 24hrs, but never 5 days! I hope that was just one individual, and they were just confused!
  • Options
    kerrionchristopherkerrionchristopher Posts: 23
    edited November -1
    Wow and with the Price increase , it have to be super timed.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    An egg only lived at best 24 hrs anyways, and most woman seem to be able to pin point their ovulation to at the very least a 24 hr window. If you use two vials wisely and know your body you can easily align the process. The hard part is getting the sperm IN the egg, then getting it to implant, then grow for 9 months... You know, the stuff you have absolutely no control over. Lol. If you need help with timing there's probably 1000s of very helpful posts on this forum and some very knowledgeable and helpful ladies for advice. :)