Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Hsg day

handsomecowboohandsomecowboo Posts: 284
edited November -1 in Trying to Conceive
Well, I went through with a HSG since it has been recommended, might help, and was covered by insurance. The results were normal, but the process was not what I had anticipated. Here's a semi-detailed version of what went down. If you're nervous about going through it yourself, it's not great but very quick and doable.

It started with antibiotics the day before, of, and after the procedure as a preventive I'm guessing. At the appointment, there was a urine test for pregnancy and UTI. Once that was cleared, I went to the X-Ray room and got on the table. The speculum was incredibly painful in my case. I have a couple of decent sized cysts, wonder if that was causing the abnormal pain?

They used a topical anesthesia on the cervix, then an injected anesthesia. She ran a catheter into the uterus. The process up to this point was really painful for me. Speculum, catheter, all very painful. But like I said, I don't think that's normal.

Finally she injected the dye. That was crampy but not bad and took about 15 seconds. Once it was done, she quickly pointed out the success of the HSG in the X-Ray and removed all the hardware. I bled instantly, and it lasted for about 2 days. She recommended that I use a pad to address the bleeding and the leakage of the dye fluid.

So that's it in all its glory! I hope this serves as useful insight for those who need it!

Comments

• Options
    kstarrkstarr Posts: 1,008
    edited November -1
    i'm sorry you had such a painful experience. when i had mine, i was prepped for pain and horror. i felt nothing. only the feel of the speculum, but it was just like a pap. the whole procedure was super quick and i didn't bleed. i'm not saying this to make you feel bad, just letting others know that it's not always horrible. again, i'm sorry you had a rough one.
    k4xs7.jpg
    ICI #1 April 2012- BFN ICI #2 March 2013 BFN
    DH had vasectomy reversal October 2013. It worked!!!
    Counts are low, varicocele surgery was in August 2014.
    IVF February 2016 w/ICSI transferred 2 perfect blastocysts. It's twins!!!!
    Two perfect, beautiful boys born 10/24/16!!
  • Options
    handsomecowboohandsomecowboo Posts: 284
    edited December 2015
    kstarr wrote:
    i'm sorry you had such a painful experience. when i had mine, i was prepped for pain and horror. i felt nothing. only the feel of the speculum, but it was just like a pap. the whole procedure was super quick and i didn't bleed. i'm not saying this to make you feel bad, just letting others know that it's not always horrible. again, i'm sorry you had a rough one.

I'm glad you mention a better experience! I certainly don't want to scare anyone from doing it. I really think that the cysts are what made it so much more painful. I will say that the BEST/WORST part was that they use oral topical anesthetic....that was cherry flavored (saw the flavor thing on the label).... So my lady bits literally smelled like cherries for the next day, which was a surprise every time I encountered it!
    Sorry for the TMI.
  • Options
    kstarrkstarr Posts: 1,008
    edited November -1
    My RE didn't use an anesthetic. Not tmi, humorous. We all need a bit of that on this journey.
    k4xs7.jpg
    ICI #1 April 2012- BFN ICI #2 March 2013 BFN
    DH had vasectomy reversal October 2013. It worked!!!
    Counts are low, varicocele surgery was in August 2014.
    IVF February 2016 w/ICSI transferred 2 perfect blastocysts. It's twins!!!!
    Two perfect, beautiful boys born 10/24/16!!
  • Options
    RedHeatherRedHeather Posts: 600 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mine only hurt when they put the tube in to hold my cervix open, and stopped hurting as soon as they took it back out. No anesthetic. I didn't feel the dye going in or have any problems with the speculum. I was prescribed antibiotics afterwards -- interesting that your doc had you start them ahead of time.
  • Options
    old mamaold mama Posts: 4,682
    edited November -1
    I didn't have antibiotics or pain meds...well other than telling me to take a big dose of ibrupropen. I only had a tiny bit of spotting. It was a little uncomfortable but not really painful. I did have some cramping. I brought my older daughter along to drive if needed but I was fine. I am sorry you had such an awful experience. I too was so glad to find nothing much wrong. I was glad I did it.
  • Options
    ahk00ahk00 Posts: 1,420
    edited November -1
    I have had two and both times only had slight cramping when the dye was injected. No blockage so it wasn't painful. No pains meds or anesthesia. I was put on abx after both procedures. Very Minimal bleeding after as well.
    SMBC: TTC since 12/2014: 3 home attempts: 2 BFN & 1 chemical. 3 medicated Dr assisted IUI's: 2 BFN & 1 BFP (04/24/15) with twins in May (new donor) MC with D&C @ 9w. 4th IUI 09/17/15: BFN. 10/15: hsg good. 11/15: BFN. 01/16: BFN. 05/16: Embryos arrested. IVF failed 06/16: KD BFN 07/16: KD BFN 09/16: IUI #7 with donor sperm BFP-MC at 9w w/ D&C. 02/17: diagnosed with hetero compound MTHFR & clotting mutation. 03/09/17 IUI #8: chemical pregnancy. IUI #9: 04/19/17 BFN LOOKING FOR EMBRYO'S TO ADOPT