Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Doula?

BirdieBirdie Posts: 85
edited November -1 in Trying to Conceive
Ladies,

DW and I are considering using a doula. I was curious to hear from those who have used a doula while TTC and what your experience was. Did you feel it was necessary? Why or why not?

Comments

• Options
    K&HK&H Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    We had a doula, she was helpful for me, the one not in labor. It was just nice to have someone there with us for the 32hours of labor, but I think it would've been nicer to have a close friend their rather than someone we barely knew. She was a good support, but wasn't necessarily more knowledgable than us in what to expect or what to do. I also think it would've been nice to have someone with a stronger, more containing personality who felt like she was in charge. Our doula was not that, and so that's why it was more like having a friend with us.. only she wasn't someone we really knew, if that makes sense.
    If I were you I would think about your local supports and see if there might be a friend who would be able to be with you. Or interview doulas and see if there is someone you really like. In planning we never would have thought that we wanted someone else in charge, but in reality that's exactly what we wanted. So planning ahead (and we did not get to choose our doula, she was assigned to us by our also not so supportive midwife) we would have chosen something different than what we eventually wanted.
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    RedHeatherRedHeather Posts: 600 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used a friend as my primary support person, and that worked out well (as an SMBC). My mom and cousin were also in the room, but they pretty much just sat back and watched, while my friend did stuff like positioning my focus object where I could see it and getting the nurse when I needed something. I think it's a good idea to have at least one "experienced" person with you, whether it's a doula who's attended births before or just a friend or family member who has given birth.