Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Affordable IUI in Seattle or surrounding areas?

LadywithsodomojoLadywithsodomojo Posts: 96
edited November -1 in Trying to Conceive
Now that I have my sperm, I have to figure out how to use it! I decided to buy ICI because I figured it could be washed for IUI later if needed. Looking back I wish I got a few of each.

My current plan is to try at least one ICI at home before moving to IUI. But I'm not sure if it's worth it? I'm single and not sure I'm close enough with anyone to ask them to help me. If I did ICI, I think I would want to put an instead cup in right after, and the thought terrifies me. I have a very tight, painful pelvic floor that I am currently in treatment for.

If I just skip it and go to IUI, does anyone have affordable recommendations for IUI in Seattle and/or surrounding areas? I have no problem driving. I saw in an old post there's a doctor in Olympia that is cheap. I have no known fertility issues so my hope is that it should be a pretty straight shot (but don't we all?).

I also see in old posts that some have used a midwife. This is very appealing to me! Any recommendations for the area? If u go this route, I'm assuming I will have to bring my AI to a RE for washing, which may get pricey again?

Any advice is welcome! Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    RedHeatherRedHeather Posts: 600 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the donor has IUI vials available, NW would probably let you exchange them.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    GREAT idea! Thank you!
  • Options
    Jen&TiffJen&Tiff Posts: 156
    edited November -1
    A non medicated iui at Pacific Northwest fertility is $350. I think most places are probably in that range.
    Trying since June 2015 for baby #1. Took a break for 8 months and are trying again!
  • Options
    ahk00ahk00 Posts: 1,420
    edited November -1
    Wow thats cheap!
    Jen&Tiff wrote:
    A non medicated iui at Pacific Northwest fertility is $350. I think most places are probably in that range.
    SMBC: TTC since 12/2014: 3 home attempts: 2 BFN & 1 chemical. 3 medicated Dr assisted IUI's: 2 BFN & 1 BFP (04/24/15) with twins in May (new donor) MC with D&C @ 9w. 4th IUI 09/17/15: BFN. 10/15: hsg good. 11/15: BFN. 01/16: BFN. 05/16: Embryos arrested. IVF failed 06/16: KD BFN 07/16: KD BFN 09/16: IUI #7 with donor sperm BFP-MC at 9w w/ D&C. 02/17: diagnosed with hetero compound MTHFR & clotting mutation. 03/09/17 IUI #8: chemical pregnancy. IUI #9: 04/19/17 BFN LOOKING FOR EMBRYO'S TO ADOPT
  • Options
    2moms_somewhere2moms_somewhere Posts: 305
    edited November -1
    We started off at Pacific NW fertility but they were very unprofessional and didn't even run any blood tests on me. We switched to SRM and got pregnant on our first cycle. Come to find out I had an under active thyroid, very easy to treat. If we try for a second we will stay with SRM. Insurance covered everything but they had a brochure with prices and if you are paying up front it is comparable to PNWF.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That's good to know, I was expecting it to be WAY more!! I've read horrible stories of both places on Yelp-- it's good to hear some positive ones.

I have my phone consult with Pacific NW on 1/6. Did they have you try without doing the tests, or did you just have a hunch that something wasn't right?
  • Options
    2moms_somewhere2moms_somewhere Posts: 305
    edited November -1
    They did zero testing, thawed our IUI vials a few hours before our IUI, had me trigger 24 hours before IUI (I could feel ovulation at 40 hours). I would never in a million years go back. I have friends that love PNWF, but they were all only successful with donor eggs recommend after unsuccessful cycles. Good luck though. Everyone has different experiences.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yikes, that's really good to know. Thank you!
  • Options
    Jen&TiffJen&Tiff Posts: 156
    edited January 2016
    My experience with pacific NW hasn't been as negative. They had me do blood work for everything during my consultation prior to iui and I had to do cycle day 3 testing as well. We are a lesbian couple and our nurse practitioner has always been very warm and friendly to us. We are proceeding with ivf now with one of the doctors because I've had 3 failed cycles and a chemical and I have lower amh but I feel like we were treated very well by them. Just to give you a second opinion. :) They have never once mentioned that I would need to use donor eggs.
    Trying since June 2015 for baby #1. Took a break for 8 months and are trying again!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That's the tricky thing about medicine-- two people can have completely different experiences with the same thing. It doesn't mean one is right over the other, it just is. I appreciate your view too, thank you. I'm going to do the free consult and go from there. I don't suspect I have any fertility issues so I'm hoping it will be a straight shot, but I would like to get some labs regardless for guidance. I hope this is something they agree with. I really am blown away by how cheap their IUI is.

I hope your round with IVF goes well. Know that I'm cheering you on from across the lake! ;)
  • Options
    flashpackerflashpacker Posts: 363
    edited November -1
    If you want to consider trying by yourself you can always get a syringe and catheter and preseed in advance of shipping out the sperm, and get a sense of whether you feel like you're comfortable getting it in a decent spot. You can commit to whether you want to ship out the sperm after you've had a play around with the process of insemming.