Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

mix of ICI and IUI

MedinaBabyMedinaBaby Posts: 36
edited November -1 in Trying to Conceive
I just realized that the vials I have in storage are a mix of both ICI and IUI.
Can I use IUI for regular at home insemination?

Also - can anybody give a me a link or exact name of a catheter I can buy online (or at a pharmacy?)

Thank you!

Comments

• Options
    MedinaBabyMedinaBaby Posts: 36
    edited November -1
    Looks like I found the answer:
    "IUI specimens, why might you choose this option?

If you plan to perform an intra-cervical insemination (also known as vaginal insemination) which is the placement of the sperm near, but not inside of the cervix, the IUI preparation is suitable. The insemination may be performed in the privacy of your own home without the assistance of a medical provider."
  • Options
    ahk00ahk00 Posts: 1,420
    edited November -1
    You can use ici at home vaginally. Cannot put it in the cath and do iui as it is not washed. Good luck!
    SMBC: TTC since 12/2014: 3 home attempts: 2 BFN & 1 chemical. 3 medicated Dr assisted IUI's: 2 BFN & 1 BFP (04/24/15) with twins in May (new donor) MC with D&C @ 9w. 4th IUI 09/17/15: BFN. 10/15: hsg good. 11/15: BFN. 01/16: BFN. 05/16: Embryos arrested. IVF failed 06/16: KD BFN 07/16: KD BFN 09/16: IUI #7 with donor sperm BFP-MC at 9w w/ D&C. 02/17: diagnosed with hetero compound MTHFR & clotting mutation. 03/09/17 IUI #8: chemical pregnancy. IUI #9: 04/19/17 BFN LOOKING FOR EMBRYO'S TO ADOPT
  • Options
    TheOtherLovingMomsTheOtherLovingMoms Posts: 1,481 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    MedinaBaby wrote:
    Looks like I found the answer:
    "IUI specimens, why might you choose this option?

If you plan to perform an intra-cervical insemination (also known as vaginal insemination) which is the placement of the sperm near, but not inside of the cervix, the IUI preparation is suitable. The insemination may be performed in the privacy of your own home without the assistance of a medical provider."

IUI sperm CAN go in the cervix as it has been washed already to be used that way. You can put it in the catheter and actually put it right into the uterus. You cannot put ICI sperm into the uterus or the cervix as it's not washed like the IUI sperm is and if you go into the cervix or uterus with it you can cause yourself some major problems.
    IGXwm4.png
    I just turned 50 and fabulous!!! Enjoying life with my amazing family!!
    Mom to Rachel 33, Bethany 30, Rebekah 30, Zachrey 20 and several angel babies
    Grandma to Larissa 11, Brittney 11, Trevor 11, Destiny 7, Jayvin 6, Jackxon 3, Kaleb Joshua Rian 1. Grandbaby #8, Sariah Grace born 11-17-16
  • Options
    flashpackerflashpacker Posts: 363
    edited November -1
    I got pregnant using 1 ICI and 1 IUI vial. We liked to do 2 vials per cycle as it made the timing much less stressful. The ICI sperm apparently lasts longer so we did that one first, and the the IUI second. I have extra catheters left over if you have any interest in buying them. I ordered a bulk lot and then got pregnant that cycle! In reality my ICI vs IUI insems were not that different. With IUI the catheter wouldn't go more than about 2 inches into my cervix and some of the sperm spilled out back into my vagina. We sucked it back up and redeposited into the cervix to get as much as possible to stay in there. With ICI we put the sperm right at the entrance to the cervix. Used catheters and preseed for both types.