Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Vitex Chasteberry

melissaedens77melissaedens77 Posts: 9
edited November -1 in Trying to Conceive
Hi everyone! I'm kinda freaking out and need advice... I started taking 1500mg of Chasteberry and 1500mg of Primrose Oil on CD5 right after my period ended. I normally have regular cycles but do not ovulate until CD17 and have a shorter LP of 10-12 days. I read the Chasteberry would possibly get my LP to be longer. Now I'm on CD18 with no positive OPK and I have my frozen sperm just waiting. I'm wondering has anyone else experience later than normal ovulation with taking Chasteberry, and how many days will the frozen sperm be viable?

Comments

• Options
    New-mama?New-mama? Posts: 593
    edited November -1
    Guaranteed for 7 days from arrival could be as long as 14 days based on nwcryobank info.
    TTC attempt 1: ICI Dec 2015 BFN/Attempt 2-3 IUI Jan&April 2016 BFN/Attempt 4: 1ICI 1 IUI May 2016 BFN/Attempt 5-7: ICI-June, Sept, Nov 2016 BFN/Attempt 8-9 iui April 2017 BFN.
    May 2017 IUI BFP!!!!
    pregnant-1494046800z5z1495083600z1.png
    tt1d86de
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ok great!! thank you so much for responding!
  • Options
    katelmkatelm Posts: 268
    edited January 2016
    About vitex, here's kind of a summary of my knowledge and experience with it from a different post back in 2013:
    I wouldn't recommend taking it on an it-couldn't-hurt basis. Like any herb, Vitex can have strong effects, which you should be aware of before starting it. Vitex is often helpful in regulating an irregular cycle, preventing painful menstrual cramps and other cycle issues. Among other possible effects, Vitex generally raises estrogen production and slightly lowers FSH production. These effects may alter your cycle, which can be a good thing or a not so good thing. For me personally, it increases my estrogen, as evidenced by testing and significantly more EWCM, which is good. On the other hand, taking any more than just a little tends to decrease my FSH too much, resulting in ovulation 2-3 days later than my normal (and also 2-3 days post-OPK) which is not so good since I'm trying to time insems with frozen swimmers. Taking too much also coincided with a pretty painful cyst for me before, which makes sense seeing as Vitex is often dubbed nature's clomid and clomid and similar drugs can have that same side effect. If it's helpful, I had much better results from the tincture, and had problems only after switching to capsules. Tincture form makes it easy to control how much you take and you can start small (say 2-5 drops a day) and increase slowly until you notice good effects (more regular cycle, absence of menstrual cramps, etc) without side effects. The herbalist I buy from also strongly recommended the tincture and not the capsule. You can usually find the tincture at health food stores. There is a small amount of Vitex in the organic vitamins I take now (which include an herbal blend for women in addition to the vitamins in them) from New Chapter, and it seems to be the happy medium for me. Like most things, what works for you will be individual. Good luck!
    My amazing wife is the bedrock of our family. Three beloved foster children now in far flung places. One beautiful son born in March 2011. One amazing daughter born December 2014. We are blessed!

puzpm5.png

RIiYm4.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That's great information! Thank you so much! I got a huge temp spike this morning so we inseminated the 2 vials we had either way. Hopefully next month my cycle gets back to normal.