Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

How early is too early to test?

MedinaBabyMedinaBaby Posts: 36
edited November -1 in Trying to Conceive
I am currently 3dpi (first insem in attempt of conceiving child #2) and I feel very tired and my boobs are sore. Both of these "symptoms" are abnormal for my body.
When I was pregnant in 2012 I had no symptoms during TWW so I easily waited until my missed period to POAS and it was positive.

So here I am three days Dpi and because of the symptoms I'm having I am very eager to test. How soon would it be reasonable to test?

Comments

• Options
    New-mama?New-mama? Posts: 593
    edited November -1
    I would think it depend on the test. I have heard some people get a positive around 8-9 days post ovulation. They say it takes 6-12 days to implant then ~3 days or more for hcg levels to be in blood stream. Frer seems to be the most sensitive. 1st insem I felt like I was getting most of the early symptoms and tested 4 times getting negatives each time, then Af was a day late making me hopful but then she arrived. Hope you get you bfp
    TTC attempt 1: ICI Dec 2015 BFN/Attempt 2-3 IUI Jan&April 2016 BFN/Attempt 4: 1ICI 1 IUI May 2016 BFN/Attempt 5-7: ICI-June, Sept, Nov 2016 BFN/Attempt 8-9 iui April 2017 BFN.
    May 2017 IUI BFP!!!!
    pregnant-1494046800z5z1495083600z1.png
    tt1d86de
  • Options
    KaligirlKaligirl Posts: 7
    edited November -1
    As far as I understand hcg doesn't come in to play until implantation. I'd test as early and often as you feel comfortable with. According to what I've read and have heard from others some women will pop positive at dpi 10 and others won't until a few days or maybe even a week after their missed period date.

In the end do what you feel comfortable with and what will not stress you out.

Good thoughts your way :)
    12/15 -BFN
    1/16 - BFN
    2/16 - BFN
  • Options
    flashpackerflashpacker Posts: 363
    edited November -1
    It's less of an emotional rollercoaster if you can hold off, but I'm sure most of us can totally understand wanting to test asap. I would say the earliest you'd want to start is 9dpo. If you implant early at 6-7dpo then the hcg would potentially show up on a sensitive test around 2 days later. If you test that early, you've got to expect it's likely to be negative at that point even if you are pregnant though. I got a 50 pack of wondfo tests from Amazon so I could test as often as I wanted without concern for the cost. The 50 pack only cost around $20 from memory. Testing early and often with the FRERs gets expensive fast! And, I found I preferred the wondfos anyway. Good luck! One of my pregnancies I waited till my period was 6 days late to test, and got a blazing positive. The other I tested early and several times a day, and the initial lines could only be seen with angling the test strip and reading the test long outside the recommended time frame. There are pros and cons to both approaches :)
  • Options
    OkayBabyOkayBaby Posts: 503 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://iamtryingtoconceive.com/topic/37666/when-to-test-statistics/

Check out this post, it will break down when you should test based on statistics of others BFPs
  • Options
    F2M n SpouseF2M n Spouse Posts: 1,021 ✭✭
    edited January 2016
    I got a +HPT at 8dpo but it's almost unheard of and I'm surprised I didn't miss it since the line was so faint. The longer you can hold off the better or it becomes an even more emotional roller for most.

If you test your best bet is to wait until 10-12dpo, easier said than done of course. :)
    rs4mis.jpg
    28i0tph.jpg
  • Options
    jones.mom02jones.mom02 Posts: 295
    edited November -1
    I'm 10 days past and got a negative, it was so devastating even though I know it's still early. I didn't think I'd feel so hurt to see a negative knowing it's really early. I recommend testing when you feel comfortable but the later the better because the negative can hurt when you can avoid that pain :)
    Celebrating 10 years together with 2 precious babies.
    Born: Jan, 2016 Home 2 IUI, partner carried
    Born: Nov, 2016 Home 1 ICI, I carried
  • Options
    Heather&MeganHeather&Megan Posts: 151
    edited November -1
    I'm 3dpi and my plan is to wait until the day my period is due. If I make it that far or not is another story! I don't feel like our timing this month was right so while I want a BFP, I'm not really expecting one. If I start having symptoms that point to a possible pregnancy, I'll probably test earlier.
  • Options
    hoping4number2hoping4number2 Posts: 321
    edited November -1
    Wait as long as you can!!! With baby #1, I didn't test until 15dpo (the first day I was technically "late") and it was a blazing positive. Then when we were TTC #2, I was crazy anxious and just constantly wanted to know! So we wasted a ton of tests and created a lot of anxiety each month from around 7dpo all the way until period starting. During our BFP cycle, we decided to switch to me carrying again, and we went on a vacation. We decided we wouldn't test until we got back, and at that point I was 10 or 11dpo. It was positive! Faint, but not a squinter. We were so so excited. I think it's worth it to wait. Your eyes can play tricks on you if you test too early.... Try to wait it out, even though it's crazy hard.
    16bdg7b.jpg
    Baby #1: April 2011 TTC #2 since 2014 Attempt #10 = BFP! Baby arrived January 2016
  • Options
    ahk00ahk00 Posts: 1,420
    edited November -1
    Honestly I agree with everyone & would wait until at least 14 dpiui. The stress & disappointment of a BFN only makes things harder. With each of my BFP cycles I did not test positive w/ a FRER until 14 dpiui & with the 2nd one I was carrying twins. Good luck!
    SMBC: TTC since 12/2014: 3 home attempts: 2 BFN & 1 chemical. 3 medicated Dr assisted IUI's: 2 BFN & 1 BFP (04/24/15) with twins in May (new donor) MC with D&C @ 9w. 4th IUI 09/17/15: BFN. 10/15: hsg good. 11/15: BFN. 01/16: BFN. 05/16: Embryos arrested. IVF failed 06/16: KD BFN 07/16: KD BFN 09/16: IUI #7 with donor sperm BFP-MC at 9w w/ D&C. 02/17: diagnosed with hetero compound MTHFR & clotting mutation. 03/09/17 IUI #8: chemical pregnancy. IUI #9: 04/19/17 BFN LOOKING FOR EMBRYO'S TO ADOPT