Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Hormone withdrawal?

merryshannonmerryshannon Posts: 503
edited November -1 in Pregnancy and Babies
So I put my body through about 2 1/2 years of intense hormones before getting pregnant. And now that baby boy is here, I've been having the most bizarre chills/cold flashes, where I have to crawl under my electric blanket in a hoodie and a robe, in a room that's already almost 80 degrees, and shiver and shake and my teeth chatter and my wife has to make me hot soup which is about the only thing I've found that helps make it go away. It happens about twice a day, always in the late afternoon or evening.

My mom suggested it might be a sign that menopause is really starting (we get it very early in her genetic line) but it feels nothing like hot flashes (I had those on the Lupron.)

But it got me thinking that maybe this is my body struggling to adapt to the sudden shifts in hormones. Has anybody else experienced this? Neither my OB, nor my general practitioner, nor the doctor at the urgent care clinic where I went after the first two told me to go to an ER (NOT going to the ER for something that's not an emergency) had any clue what was going on. :/ their suggestions were rest, and maybe some extra iron... Not helpful!
2ekr8s1.jpg
Early ovarian failure. 4 failed ICIs, 6 failed IUIs. Donor Egg IVF in Greece: IVF#1 12/2014 - BFP, miscarried at 6WK3D. IVF #2 4/2015 - BFN. IVF#3 7/2015 - BFP. Baby boy Searc born 4/8/16 - 9lbs, 2 oz <3

TTC Blog

Comments

• Options
    ShannyShanny Posts: 2,456
    edited November -1
    I had this after my c-section too and I'm inclined to think it had more to do with that experience as opposed to ttc experience. Having said that, the hormones most people take while trying to get pregnant are no match for what occurs naturally after child birth. I can't remember how long it lasted but it was awful and I'm sorry you are going through it.

Congrats and hope your recovery gets easier very soon!
    image_zps64579b54.png
  • Options
    K&HK&H Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    How's your diet these days? Are you having full meals and frequent snacks? Are you nursing?
    Try really strengthening protein intake and don't go too long between meals.
    Also, if you can do a little bit of cardio exercise that could help increase your circulation. Look on YouTube for Leslie Sansone walking workouts. She started out with geriatric workouts, so they're very light. H was able to do them within 2wks of her c-section with no problems.
    Hormone fluctuations can absolutely be the problem, I definitely notice when my levels change. Each month I get a hot two weeks and a cold two weeks, lucky me! But your thyroid could also be an issue. If this keeps up until your six week post partum check up I would absolutely bring it up with your doc. All of these hormones affect mood as well, so keep talking with your partner about keeping an eye on your mood over the next few weeks. These changes are no joke and asking for help is always a good idea.
    Oh, and also you could try having your partner rub your feet with warm oil and wear some huge thick socks. Warm feet make a huge difference!
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    ruedeodeonruedeodeon Posts: 160
    edited November -1
    So I had this and I never have taken any hormone medicines or any medicines. My midwife said some women can experience this a few weeks after giving birth and it can be just an extreme side effect of the epidural exiting your system.
  • Options
    melandfomelandfo Posts: 490
    edited November -1
    I had this after my C-section and I would wake up and the sheets would be soaked from sweat. I think your body has to get rid of the fluids you retain from pregnancy, the fluids they give you at the hospital and then adjust from the hormones coming back down after a pregnancy.

As long as you do not have a fever (since you had a c-section) I would just ride it out. After a couple weeks postpartum mine stopped. :/
    Courtney and Melissa
    TTC # 1 w/PCOS & Hypothyroid
    17 cycles finally BFP
    tt1c499a.aspx
  • Options
    tinydancertinydancer Posts: 1,210
    edited November -1
    sounds like hormones but also low thyroid which makes you super cold. it could be slightly off wack from everything. I would ask for a blood draw on that. if its over 2.0 then you may needs some meds to get it back to normal for a bit.
  • Options
    katookatoo Posts: 324
    edited November -1
    A number of ladies in my first time moms group had their thyroids go out of whack after their babies were born. The symptoms were chills, eating, eating, and eating, and losing weight, and anxiety. If you have any of those other symptoms, that's where I'd put my money. It's apparently pretty common. Low iron could be another cause. Both of those issues can be diagnosed or ruled out with a simple blood test. I'm all for blood work for peace of mind.
  • Options
    kstarrkstarr Posts: 1,008
    edited November -1
    my doula told me that the placenta is filled with hormones and after birth, you crash from them not being there anymore. she suggested placenta encapsulation to help with that. have you called your OB?
    k4xs7.jpg
    ICI #1 April 2012- BFN ICI #2 March 2013 BFN
    DH had vasectomy reversal October 2013. It worked!!!
    Counts are low, varicocele surgery was in August 2014.
    IVF February 2016 w/ICSI transferred 2 perfect blastocysts. It's twins!!!!
    Two perfect, beautiful boys born 10/24/16!!
  • Options
    katelmkatelm Posts: 268
    edited November -1
    Do you feel sick at all? I tend to feel a similar sensation when I have certain illnesses coming on, and I would just want you to be cautious about this one - even though post-partum infections are rare they can be serious. Take your temp periodically just in case and even if it's normal don't be shy about going to the doctor if you feel off. Hopefully it is just hormones and will get better soon!
    My amazing wife is the bedrock of our family. Three beloved foster children now in far flung places. One beautiful son born in March 2011. One amazing daughter born December 2014. We are blessed!

puzpm5.png

RIiYm4.png