Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

How many tries/cycles before BFP?

NwblondemommaNwblondemomma Posts: 75
edited November -1 in Pregnancy and Babies
Hello, I am feeling a little down because I have tried and Failed 3 times and would like to know how many times or cycles did you try until you got your BFP! Also how many vials did you use ?
TTC
ICI 1/15 - BFN
ICI 9/15 - BFN
ICI 5/16 - BFN

Comments

• Options
    tinydancertinydancer Posts: 1,210
    edited May 2016
    great question!

for me Ive had many losses due to thyroid so Im saying this because Ive been pregnant many times but no baby.
    sometimes I get pregnant on the 1st vial of new donor and then had a chemical. another time took me 2 tries with 2 vials each time to get a pregnancy to 8 weeks.
    and then moved to a new donor and no + at all so far for 2 cycles.

what I have read here is the BFP posts. and some get it on the 1st try. some within 3 months and several by 6 month. most do 1-2 vials.
  • Options
    RedHeatherRedHeather Posts: 600 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I did 4 at-home ICI cycles, with 1-2 vials each time, with no luck. Moved on the RE-assisted IUI and got pregnant on the 2nd one.
  • Options
    b&kmakebabiesb&kmakebabies Posts: 818
    edited May 2016
    We did one at-home ICI (two vials) and six IUIs at a doctor's (both medicated and not). Never got pregnant those tries. Fresh known donor resulted in pregnancy on the first try.
    Cnc9m5.png

TTC from 06/2015...Baby M born 11/24/16!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    B&k what was your timing with fresh? I may need to move onto fresh myself.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    12 hours after smiley and then again about 12 hours later!
    Cnc9m5.png

• Options
    ahk00ahk00 Posts: 1,420
    edited November -1
    Was your kd a friend or someone from the kdr? I am really considering going this route but the kdr freaks me out a bit. I have a friend who is willing to be a donor but he lives in TX and I lI've in FL. So I'm not sure how that would work.
    SMBC: TTC since 12/2014: 3 home attempts: 2 BFN & 1 chemical. 3 medicated Dr assisted IUI's: 2 BFN & 1 BFP (04/24/15) with twins in May (new donor) MC with D&C @ 9w. 4th IUI 09/17/15: BFN. 10/15: hsg good. 11/15: BFN. 01/16: BFN. 05/16: Embryos arrested. IVF failed 06/16: KD BFN 07/16: KD BFN 09/16: IUI #7 with donor sperm BFP-MC at 9w w/ D&C. 02/17: diagnosed with hetero compound MTHFR & clotting mutation. 03/09/17 IUI #8: chemical pregnancy. IUI #9: 04/19/17 BFN LOOKING FOR EMBRYO'S TO ADOPT
  • Options
    kstarrkstarr Posts: 1,008
    edited November -1
    we did a total of 7 years of trying. about 3/4 of that time we tried the old fashioned way. we tried 2 cycles of iui, then went for ivf. luckily we only had to do one cycle of that. it's different for everyone. good luck!
    k4xs7.jpg
    ICI #1 April 2012- BFN ICI #2 March 2013 BFN
    DH had vasectomy reversal October 2013. It worked!!!
    Counts are low, varicocele surgery was in August 2014.
    IVF February 2016 w/ICSI transferred 2 perfect blastocysts. It's twins!!!!
    Two perfect, beautiful boys born 10/24/16!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ahk00 wrote:
    Was your kd a friend or someone from the kdr? I am really considering going this route but the kdr freaks me out a bit. I have a friend who is willing to be a donor but he lives in TX and I lI've in FL. So I'm not sure how that would work.

A friend. Not a super close one, but one we trust completely. We had him fil put a questionnaire first and then when we realized we were all on the same page, we hired a lawyer to draw up a contract. I was surprised at how fast it worked considering I was on no meds, hadn't done any of my usual routines to prepare, and it was last minute. There's a way he can ship his goods to you. I forget the name of the company that does it...
    Cnc9m5.png

• Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you. I will look it up. Also would need to find an attorney. I wonder if the attorney needs to be in the state you reside? I have several attorney friends in other states.
    ahk00 wrote:

A friend. Not a super close one, but one we trust completely. We had him fil put a questionnaire first and then when we realized we were all on the same page, we hired a lawyer to draw up a contract. I was surprised at how fast it worked considering I was on no meds, hadn't done any of my usual routines to prepare, and it was last minute. There's a way he can ship his goods to you. I forget the name of the company that does it...
    SMBC: TTC since 12/2014: 3 home attempts: 2 BFN & 1 chemical. 3 medicated Dr assisted IUI's: 2 BFN & 1 BFP (04/24/15) with twins in May (new donor) MC with D&C @ 9w. 4th IUI 09/17/15: BFN. 10/15: hsg good. 11/15: BFN. 01/16: BFN. 05/16: Embryos arrested. IVF failed 06/16: KD BFN 07/16: KD BFN 09/16: IUI #7 with donor sperm BFP-MC at 9w w/ D&C. 02/17: diagnosed with hetero compound MTHFR & clotting mutation. 03/09/17 IUI #8: chemical pregnancy. IUI #9: 04/19/17 BFN LOOKING FOR EMBRYO'S TO ADOPT
  • Options
    kelleymelkelleymel Posts: 1,402
    edited November -1
    7 Unmedicated at home ICI/IUI

1 Clomid at home IUI

2 Clomid Dr assisted IUI

1 IVF (BFP)

1 FET (Chemical)
    TTC #1: BFP Cycle #11 IVF (2014)
    TTC #2: IVF April 2017
    BFP: FET Due February 2018
  • Options
    jones.mom02jones.mom02 Posts: 295
    edited November -1
    My partner received a BFP on her 4th try. We used 2 IUI vials each time, all tries at home. I received my BFP on my 3rd try, we used 1 ICI vial each try and always at home.
    Celebrating 10 years together with 2 precious babies.
    Born: Jan, 2016 Home 2 IUI, partner carried
    Born: Nov, 2016 Home 1 ICI, I carried
  • Options
    syoung0204syoung0204 Posts: 504
    edited November -1
    5th try, at home ICI (1) vial at 24hrs past pos OPK
    tt1d79f4
    tt1b89c8.aspx
  • Options
    merilungmerilung Posts: 1,177
    edited November -1
    kstarr wrote:
    we did a total of 7 years of trying. about 3/4 of that time we tried the old fashioned way. we tried 2 cycles of iui, then went for ivf. luckily we only had to do one cycle of that. it's different for everyone. good luck!

This is our exact timeline too!
    TTC since September 2007 - 8 donor insems in 2012, all BFN. DH had varicocele repair #2 1/3/14.
    It worked! Two clomid cycles and two IUI's with injectables all BFN, on to IVF! 3dt of 2 perfect embryos on 12/15/14, BFP 7dp3dt! Frederick Lars born at 37 weeks on 8/15/15!! FET for #2 on 9/29/16 - BFP 5dp5dt!! Bertram Wilder and Mabel Moon born at 28.4 weeks on 3/29/17!
  • Options
    K&HK&H Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    3 years of at-home iuis for BFP #1 (E)
    3mos of at at-home ici for BFP #2, lost at 11wks
    2 Dr assisted IUIs and now in the middle of IVF, hoping for BFP #3 and kiddo #2
    6 more frozen embryos hoping for #3 & #4 later on
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    ljimpey86ljimpey86 Posts: 387
    edited November -1
    I did 2 cycles. First cycle was an at home unmedicated ICI. The second, where I got my BFP, was an at home unmedicated ICI and IUI.
    Wife to DH with hypopitutarism and azoospermia
    TTC~
    Try #1 ICI 8/15 -BFN
    Try #2 ICI & IUI 9/15 -BFP!

Abbigail Helen born 6/5/2016 7lb6oz
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ahk00 wrote:
    Thank you. I will look it up. Also would need to find an attorney. I wonder if the attorney needs to be in the state you reside? I have several attorney friends in other states.
    ahk00 wrote:

I'm not sure about the attorney...I'm sure your friends would offer you some insight, though! I would imagine it wouldn't matter for the sperm contract... If you decide to go that route and want to know everything we did, feel free to ask.
    Cnc9m5.png

• Options
    PatienceisavirtuePatienceisavirtue Posts: 777
    edited November -1
    Memory is a little fuzzy now but I think it was 8 cycles. We used 1-2 vials each cycle.

Bfp was 1 ici around 40hrs past positive opk.
    TTC #1: 1-5 BFN; 6- BFP
    TTC #2: since June 2016...
  • Options
    PatienceisavirtuePatienceisavirtue Posts: 777
    edited November -1
    Memory is a little fuzzy now but I think it was 8 cycles. We used 1-2 vials each cycle.

Bfp was 1 ici around 40hrs past positive opk.

Hahahahaha, well my signature thing says 6 cycles! I just remember we started on October and ended up pregnant in May.

I blame 15 months of sleep deprivation....
    TTC #1: 1-5 BFN; 6- BFP
    TTC #2: since June 2016...
  • Options
    hoping4number2hoping4number2 Posts: 321
    edited November -1
    My wife and I had a c combined total of 10 tries for baby #2. She tried for 8 consecutive months with no success. I tried for the following two months, and baby boy was conceived the second month for me. My wife plans to possibly try again within the next year or two.
    16bdg7b.jpg
    Baby #1: April 2011 TTC #2 since 2014 Attempt #10 = BFP! Baby arrived January 2016
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you. I definitely will. I think I may have found someone!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    this post was super informative. its all over the board w # of tries.
    seems like if you have no history of infertility or hormone balance off, then you get pregnant between 2-3 tries tho. thats encouraging for many.
  • Options
    grovehill123grovehill123 Posts: 404
    edited June 2016
    Love this question. I have done 6IUI's and 4 FETs, My 4th FET (donor embryo) was my lucky one. I actually have done it all very rapidly, started this journey in March of 2015, and a SMBC and older. I'm still very new, only 4w 5days to being pregnant, and it came at a time I least expected and felt my chances were slim... You never now when its the time. I am a big believer though because I changed this cycle , my folic acid to folate, but had also some stress factors removed too. I'll never know why it worked this time but I am so thankful.
  • Options
    momsquaredmomsquared Posts: 59
    edited November -1
    Baby #1,2&4 took 1 try at home no meds.
    Baby #3 took 4 tries at home 50 mg clomid on 4th try resulting in BFP.

We used 3 vials almost every try. We were beyond lucky and fortunate. We had babies between ages 31 and 36.
    December 2016 Ages 9,7,5 & 3
    IMG_4148.jpg
  • Options
    bettybohemianbettybohemian Posts: 4
    edited November -1
    7 ICI at home bfn, 1 IUI at clinic BFN, 1 round of IVF-(9 eggs retrieved, 7 fertilized, 5 survived- 2 implanted 3 on ice), BFP with fraternal twins.