Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

For People Who Use Green Mountain Diapers...

b&kmakebabiesb&kmakebabies Posts: 818
edited November -1 in Pregnancy and Babies
I was trying to go through the site using their "New to Cloth" guide and I have the following in my cart. I want to know if this is a good amount or if I need more or less of anything!

4 Dozen Wipes
2 Dozen of their "Novice" sized Prefolds
2 Dozen of their "Newborn" sized Prefolds
3 Workhorse Fitted Diapers (newborn size)
6 Workhorse Fitted Diapers (small size 9-15 Pounds)
1 dozen large doublers (I don't really understand which size to get there...)
4 Thirsties size 1 Diaper Covers
2 Blueberry "newborn" diaper covers (can the Thirsties be used on newborns? Some say they can and some say they liked Blueberry better, so I wasn't sure...)

What should I change? I want to make sure we don't have to order again until we are ready to move a size up so we get the free shipping...I feel like I'll probably need to add more prefolds, but I got 1 dozen of the white and 1 dozen unbleached because I have no clue what we will like more...

Thanks!
Cnc9m5.png

TTC from 06/2015...Baby M born 11/24/16!

Comments

• Options
    merilungmerilung Posts: 1,177
    edited November -1
    How often do you want to wash diapers? Are you doing 100% cloth from birth or are you using disposables at any point?

We didn't use any of our newborn diapers - I would only get a dozen of those, personally, unless you think you'll have a really small baby for some reason. They make great burp cloths and clean up cloths so we did still use ours, just not as diapers! We have 2 dozen prefolds in every size we use and we typically wash every other day.

We only have the unbleached and we love them. We do not have any doublers. We did eventually get fleece/bamboo inserts for overnight but not until Freddie was 5 or 6 months old.

I would definitely add some snappis, a wet bag or pail liner for dirty/wet diapers (or both - we actually have two pail liners, a small wet bag, and a large one, which is good for us).

4 dozen wipes is what we have - it's more than enough, but I like having tons because we use them ALL the time for many things. If you're going to make your own wipes solution there are cheap spray bottles on the GMD site. We use water, baby soap and avocado oil to make ours and just spray the wipe before we use it.

I actually like the bummis pull on diaper cover best, and it's super cheap, so that might be a good option for newborn size which will probably be used the least. We also have thirsties duo wrap covers which we love but didn't start using until Freddie was a little older.
    TTC since September 2007 - 8 donor insems in 2012, all BFN. DH had varicocele repair #2 1/3/14.
    It worked! Two clomid cycles and two IUI's with injectables all BFN, on to IVF! 3dt of 2 perfect embryos on 12/15/14, BFP 7dp3dt! Frederick Lars born at 37 weeks on 8/15/15!! FET for #2 on 9/29/16 - BFP 5dp5dt!! Bertram Wilder and Mabel Moon born at 28.4 weeks on 3/29/17!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks so much! Very helpful...we want to cloth like 90% of the time (probably will do disposables when we go out for day outings or something). I was assuming we would wash every other day. I'm definitely doing the pull on diaper cover...I didn't even know those existed. I'll also throw in the spray bottles. The snappis and pail liners we put on our registry so we were going to wait on that. I'll get just one dozen newborn prefolds and add another dozen of the next size up (or do you think I should just go ahead and get two dozen in the intermediate size?).
    Cnc9m5.png

• Options
    ahk00ahk00 Posts: 1,420
    edited November -1
    I have a friend who is getting ready to sell her cloth diaper materials if you would be interested in that. She said for $5 or less.
    SMBC: TTC since 12/2014: 3 home attempts: 2 BFN & 1 chemical. 3 medicated Dr assisted IUI's: 2 BFN & 1 BFP (04/24/15) with twins in May (new donor) MC with D&C @ 9w. 4th IUI 09/17/15: BFN. 10/15: hsg good. 11/15: BFN. 01/16: BFN. 05/16: Embryos arrested. IVF failed 06/16: KD BFN 07/16: KD BFN 09/16: IUI #7 with donor sperm BFP-MC at 9w w/ D&C. 02/17: diagnosed with hetero compound MTHFR & clotting mutation. 03/09/17 IUI #8: chemical pregnancy. IUI #9: 04/19/17 BFN LOOKING FOR EMBRYO'S TO ADOPT
  • Options
    blkbrd3blkbrd3 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Register for what you want. Then I'd shop around and look for used diapers when you're filling out what you need.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    check FB as there are groups in most cities for cloth diapering as well.
    SMBC: TTC since 12/2014: 3 home attempts: 2 BFN & 1 chemical. 3 medicated Dr assisted IUI's: 2 BFN & 1 BFP (04/24/15) with twins in May (new donor) MC with D&C @ 9w. 4th IUI 09/17/15: BFN. 10/15: hsg good. 11/15: BFN. 01/16: BFN. 05/16: Embryos arrested. IVF failed 06/16: KD BFN 07/16: KD BFN 09/16: IUI #7 with donor sperm BFP-MC at 9w w/ D&C. 02/17: diagnosed with hetero compound MTHFR & clotting mutation. 03/09/17 IUI #8: chemical pregnancy. IUI #9: 04/19/17 BFN LOOKING FOR EMBRYO'S TO ADOPT
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Our closest city is over an hour away, so I just assumed those groups wouldn't apply to us, but it is worth a shot....what kind is your friend selling? I may be willing to purchase a few different brands just to try them out and see what we like.
    Cnc9m5.png

• Options
    gprime11gprime11 Posts: 228
    edited November -1
    Try out several kinds. Different diapers work for differ kids and families. There are online swaps. I got a big lot off of eBay. As for wipes, we use water in a prince lion heart wipes warmer. My guy hated cold wipes and it was easier to grab a wipe one handed and ready to use.
  • Options
    tinydancertinydancer Posts: 1,210
    edited November -1
    diapered many babies with cloth. Im also thrifty and and dont like alot of "stuff." I think 1-2 dozen wipes is enough.
    even with a 7-8lb baby I would need infant/preemie prefold if I went that route and a few newborn covers like bummis super brites or original wraps.
    I like to wash every night as going 2 days causes mld or bugs.
    so I only need about 16 diapers. i prefer pockets cause they clean the easiest for me and keep baby dry but if you use covers and prefold. 24 prefolds and 6-8 covers is enough.

I prefer charlies soap to wash btw but trader joes or whole foods has decent safe wash too :)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    B&K I will send you an email with the information & pictures. She has clothed 2 little ones and recommends trying different kinds as well.
  • Options
    MNmommasMNmommas Posts: 1,081
    edited November -1
    We LOVELOVELOVEd the newborn fitteds from GMD. They were great on our babies up to 10-12 lbs, then we switched to the small fitteds. Never had a single blowout, except the time we used disposables on a roadtrip. Never while they were in the fitteds. We never really used the prefolds as diapers, tried once or twice but preferred the fitteds, and ended up using the prefolds for keeping changing pads clean, for wiping up the various gooey oozes that babies always seem to have coming out of one orifice or another, and other randomness.

When we started, we bought a variety of different diapers. Loved the GMD fitteds so much that we got rid of everything else and bought more fitteds (and covers).
    Donor 7070, births 2012 & 2013
  • Options
    MNmommasMNmommas Posts: 1,081
    edited November -1
    Oh, and for the quantity, we did two dozen newborn fitteds, three dozen smalls, three dozen mediums. We had the smalls and newborns prepped before birth and whenever we ran out of newborns, used the smalls (so we probably could've used a total of three dozen newborns). The newborns are so helpful in the beginning because they are much trimmer than the smalls, and easier to keep away from the umbilical cord spot. Our washing routine varied between every day and every other day. If you plan to go more than one day between washing, you probably want at least four dozen of each. We used (and still use) Charlie's Soap (powdered). I think you'll find four dozen wipes to be very useful, they are handy long past the diapering stage. I would advise finding two or more different types of wipes though, not four dozen of one type. At the very least one kind that is smooth cotton and one kind that is rougher cotton, I think the birdseye weave is the one I'm imagining here (best at grabbing poop particles).
    Donor 7070, births 2012 & 2013
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks everyone for the tips! We are definitely buying a variety of kinds so we can know what works for us! I ordered prefolds, fitteds, a few AIOs, and a try-it pack of Grovia Hybrids. So excited to get them in the mail!
    Cnc9m5.png

• Options
    tinydancertinydancer Posts: 1,210
    edited November -1
    I just saw the new grovia all in ones and those look great. super thin and perfect for a6 lber to 12lbs! Im gunna get some
  • Options
    edited November -1
    tinydancer wrote:
    I just saw the new grovia all in ones and those look great. super thin and perfect for a6 lber to 12lbs! Im gunna get some

Yeah I got a few of those!
    Cnc9m5.png

• Options
    hoping4number2hoping4number2 Posts: 321
    edited November -1
    Cloth diapers are such a personal preference! I started with prefolds and snappis with my older son, and loved those when he was small, but once he was wiggly it was hard to get a good fit. I switched to pockets and HATED them. I sold them all. I switched to lay-in inserts and covers, and thats we still use now on our second baby. We use Flour Sack Towels as our inserts most days, and fold them into a pad fold and lay in the cover. We use Cotton Velour doublers for when we leave the house (in case we can't change as quickly as we'd like, and to prevent leakage). We also use bamboo fitteds for nighttime and they are amazingly absorbent and soft. :)
    16bdg7b.jpg
    Baby #1: April 2011 TTC #2 since 2014 Attempt #10 = BFP! Baby arrived January 2016