Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Breastfeeding Class?

b&kmakebabiesb&kmakebabies Posts: 818
edited November -1 in Pregnancy and Babies
I've already decided not to do a childbirth class (I did order a book to read, though), but I can't decide if I should sign up for a breastfeeding class. I went online today and people are already signing up for the best dates, so I feel like I should make a decision soon. The only class I know I want to take is CPR because my certification expires in September anyway...did you all take the BF classes? Were they helpful? Or would a lactation consult at the hospital and a good book be all I really need?
Cnc9m5.png

TTC from 06/2015...Baby M born 11/24/16!

Comments

• Options
    A&JA&J Posts: 1,825
    edited November -1
    I don't see any harm in it. As for the classes, with my first two children I used a midwife and had natural water births at a birthing center rather than a hospital. I didn't take the typical childbirth class that the hospital offered, but did take a class specific to natural childbirth(per the request of my midwife) and was shocked to find that the woman teaching was very amazing, I'd say inspirational and I gathered so much helpful and positive information that I really believe helped me have the know how and confidence that I could have a natural child birth. I also read a few great books, Ina May Gaskins, and some others I can't recall that were motivating and informational. You didn't specify what type of birth experience you're after, but I think the more information the better either way.
    As for breastfeeding I personally didn't take a class, but this was because my midwife is a certified lactation consultant and I knew I had access to her full-time after my baby's arrival. I had a great breastfeeding relationship and experience with my first two kids and now have newborn twins that I'm successfully exclusively breastfeeding. I had these babies in a hospital and did have the support of the hospital lactation consultants--fortunately we were off to a great start and didn't need their support, BUT this staff was awesome and I would have felt great relying on them if needed.

All the best in your journey!
    th_img-191_zps90b22fea.jpg
    th_img-109_zps4769e6c4.jpg
  • Options
    b&kmakebabiesb&kmakebabies Posts: 818
    edited November -1
    Thanks for your response :) Considering the class is only ten bucks, I guess it can't hurt. The Ina May book is the one I bought...and I'm honestly not attached to any particular birth plan. I just want to go with the flow but have knowledge about my options.
    Cnc9m5.png

TTC from 06/2015...Baby M born 11/24/16!
  • Options
    hoping4number2hoping4number2 Posts: 321
    edited June 2016
    For childbirth (I had a completely unmedicated birth) I read Ina May Gaskin's book. It was so helpful! I didn't do a childbirth class, but this was my second birth...I didn't take a childbirth class with my first either, because he was a preemie, and classes started the day after he was born ;)
    For breastfeeding, if you are not very familiar, I HIGHLY recommend attending La Leche League, identifying your local IBCLC (not one from the hospital - most of them do not have IBCLC training!), and reading The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding. These three things combined will DRASTICALLY increase your chances of success. So many people say that they didn't make enough milk, or latch was too painful, or baby never latched well.... If additional research and perseverance is used, often the obstacle can be overcome. I think something like 99% of people can breastfeed at the breast with the right support. For myself, I had to pump for the first 6 weeks with both of my boys, because they both had posterior tongue tie and lip tie. If I hadn't been knowledgeable about these issues, I would have given up. It was a hard 6 weeks of pumping around the clock with both, but now with my 4 month old we are smooth sailing EBF with absolutely no issues and its SO much easier after the first 2-3 months, because you don't have to lug bottles around all of the time. :)

ETA: regarding classes - I mentioned the childbirth above to show that classes aren't necessary for everyone. I learn better on my own. I did attend a VBAC group for several weeks during pregnancy, but that was more for moral support for my second baby. For breastfeeding, I found my local IBCLC to be an invaluable resource (she is also the La Leche League leader in our area). She seriously made the difference between my being successful and unsuccessful because she identified the obstacles and created a plan to alleviate them.
    16bdg7b.jpg
    Baby #1: April 2011 TTC #2 since 2014 Attempt #10 = BFP! Baby arrived January 2016