Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

OB or Midwife?

grovehill123grovehill123 Posts: 404
edited November -1 in Pregnancy and Babies
In Ontario I have to make the decision to either go OB or Midwife. You can have a midwife deliver in the hospital but you can't have an assigned OB, however if one is needed I guess at hospital time you get one. I am single so having extra from a midwife would be nice, but also advanced age 46! so OB is safer. I am leaning toward OB, what are your thoughts here?

Comments

• Options
    K&HK&H Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My wife had a midwife for or daughter. She never felt all of the things she was hoping for, more time, better attention, more personal interaction etc. We ended up with a hospital birth largely because of that and it was a rotation system anyway, so we saw about eight different midwives over the three days of labor and delivery. It ended up being the nurses who mattered the most anyway.
    When I was pregnant I went with a midwife, tho one I picked based on friend's recommendations. She was nice, but downplayed my concerns about bleeding at 6wks. She didn't think an ultrasound would be worth the effort, and at 11wks I had a horrific missed miscarriage that could've been caught at 6wks had we done the ultrasound.
    When I get pregnant again I will go with an OB.
    GOzIm4.png
    hAO7m4.png
    CmQMm4.png
  • Options
    blkbrd3blkbrd3 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    I would seek recommendations and interview from both pools of practice. Select whomever is the best fit for you as that is what's most important in the long run. If you select the perfect midwife, she'll make sure you have all the tests and monitoring you want and need. If you select the perfect OB, you'll receive all the support and coaching you could ever want.
  • Options
    tinydancertinydancer Posts: 1,210
    edited November -1
    I had several homebirths and thats whats best for my life and needs. what makes you feel most comfortable for you is what is right :) Im 40 so I knew if I was in the hospital I would be treated like a walking time bomb. I always found home to be on my terms w less risks, including not being in a gown someone died in yesterday ;) thats a joke from Jim Gaffigan but pretty true.
  • Options
    ljimpey86ljimpey86 Posts: 387
    edited November -1
    I ended up using midwives for my care and loved them! There is nothing better then having other females rooting for you! When the time came and I had to have an unplanned C-section they even went into the OR with me and were there after the surgery. I think you could start with midwives and if you need an OB they will tell you to go with one.
    Wife to DH with hypopitutarism and azoospermia
    TTC~
    Try #1 ICI 8/15 -BFN
    Try #2 ICI & IUI 9/15 -BFP!

Abbigail Helen born 6/5/2016 7lb6oz
  • Options
    RedHeatherRedHeather Posts: 600 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used an OB, but I live in a rural area and was already a patient of the OB, and there are no midwives in the practice. Home birth was not something I was interested in, so didn't even look into it, and I would have had to travel further to get to a hospital that has midwives. I was very happy with my experience, though I do question the fact that he broke my water and started Pitocin pretty much simultaneously (vs trying one of them first and waiting to see if it worked before adding the other). My labor was quick after that -- 6 hours -- and I ended up needing a significant episiotomy because my daughter went through the birth canal so fast her head bare got compressed (she looked like a C-section baby). That said, the labor and recovery were easy (I got one dose of stadol that I probably would have been fine without, and I only needed ibuprofen afterwards), so I can't really complain. One advantage of the episiotomy was that he applied a local anesthetic, so I didn't feel any pain the way I would have if I had torn.
  • Options
    merilungmerilung Posts: 1,177
    edited November -1
    We loved our midwives and would choose midwifery care over OB care under most circumstances. I have known some truly excellent OB's, though!
    TTC since September 2007 - 8 donor insems in 2012, all BFN. DH had varicocele repair #2 1/3/14.
    It worked! Two clomid cycles and two IUI's with injectables all BFN, on to IVF! 3dt of 2 perfect embryos on 12/15/14, BFP 7dp3dt! Frederick Lars born at 37 weeks on 8/15/15!! FET for #2 on 9/29/16 - BFP 5dp5dt!! Bertram Wilder and Mabel Moon born at 28.4 weeks on 3/29/17!
  • Options
    TurtlehartTurtlehart Posts: 834
    edited November -1
    We are going to have a hospital birth, but have a Doula too. She's amazing. It has been a great compromise for us. We made sure our new OB was cool with it, and they are very much on board. Is something like that a possibility?
    Our sweet boy has arrived after TTC'ing for 4 years!
  • Options
    blkbrd3blkbrd3 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hands down the doula recommendation is the best recommendation yet. I had one and loved it. Should I have the chance to birth another child I'll like to work with both a both labor and a postpartum doula.
  • Options
    merilungmerilung Posts: 1,177
    edited November -1
    I'd absolutely second the doula recommendation no matter what type of care provider you birth with and what your birth location is. All the things we wanted were the default at our birth center but we still NEEDED our doula!
    TTC since September 2007 - 8 donor insems in 2012, all BFN. DH had varicocele repair #2 1/3/14.
    It worked! Two clomid cycles and two IUI's with injectables all BFN, on to IVF! 3dt of 2 perfect embryos on 12/15/14, BFP 7dp3dt! Frederick Lars born at 37 weeks on 8/15/15!! FET for #2 on 9/29/16 - BFP 5dp5dt!! Bertram Wilder and Mabel Moon born at 28.4 weeks on 3/29/17!