Skip to content
Welcome to our new forum! All existing NW Cryobank forum users will need to reset their passwords. Click forgot password and enter your email address to receive the link. Email us at info@nwcryobank.com with any questions.
NW Cryobank community boards and sibling connect groups will no longer be available after December 20th, 2023.
Options

Breast Pump

b&kmakebabiesb&kmakebabies Posts: 818
edited November -1 in Pregnancy and Babies
So insurance covers one breast pump... Either a Medela freestyle (I'd have to pay a little extra for that) or Medela pump in style (free)... Anyone have experience with these? Should I pay a little extra for the freestyle? I know nothing about breast pumps!
Cnc9m5.png

TTC from 06/2015...Baby M born 11/24/16!

Comments

• Options
    blkbrd3blkbrd3 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think you should look at how you'll use it. I used the pump in style exclusively. Honestly, I had no interest in doing the dishes, folding laundry, or doing anything else than pumping while I was pumping. I wasn't interested in pumping anywhere other than in the comfort of a building or a car with electricity.

Getting a hands free bra helped. Then I could pump and eat or drink at the same time. Many women make their own hands free bra by taking a sports bra and cutting holes in it. Another thing that helped me tons was to buy a used pump in style off of Craigslist so I could keep one at my workplace and one at home. I also I bought a car adapter for the few times I traveled an hour or so from home. When you're flying down the freeway no one notices if you're pumping.
  • Options
    hopeful2014hopeful2014 Posts: 428
    edited November -1
    Get a pumping bra for sure no matter which pump you get. I highly recommend the Simple Wishes one.

I used the Pump in Style I got through my insurance at work and bought a Freestyle to use at home. I brought the PIS back and forth to work for the first few months and got tired of toting it back and forth and I forgot the power adapter a couple times, which was not good. I had flex spending money to spend otherwise I probably would have just used the PIS.

I found the suction to be different on both machines and at first I liked the PIS better but after awhile I liked both. I think the PIS is more powerful. I always pumped at the lowest possible level on the PIS, but on level 5 on the Freestyle.

I REALLY liked that the Freestyle has the screen with the number of minutes you've pumped because I was awful at remembering to note the time or setting an alarm on my phone. Plus it was backlit so I could pump in the dark. You can also program it to your suction levels, but I didn't do that. The Freestyle was definitely worth the convenience to me at home. It was nice to pump anywhere in the house without worrying about being close to an outlet.

So long story short, I liked both but the Freestyle won in the convenience department.
    35 years old - SMBC * 3 ICIs, 6 IUIs, 1 ectopic, 1 chemical, blocked left tube.
    Lucky #10 - IVF!
    Two sweet baby girls (IVF 2015, FET 2017)
  • Options
    MNmommasMNmommas Posts: 1,081
    edited November -1
    We both used a PIS and liked it.. as much as one can "like" pumping, anyways! :)
    Donor 7070, births 2012 & 2013